Main Forums > The Roundtable

Door lock sets

(1/3) > >>

sumpnz:
Need to replace the knobs and deadbolts on, well, all our exterior doors.  They’re just getting worn out.  House was built in 2006, so it’s not quite 20 years old and the locks are original to the house.  What are good quality sets to buy?  We have, honestly, not bothered locking our house for at least 10 years and never felt it was really necessary.  But if I’m going to replace the knobs and deadbolts I want good quality.  If security becomes a real concern I want sets I can count on, in addition to them being very durable.  What does the hive mind suggest?

Hawkmoon:
The house I live in was built by/for my parents in 1950. The locks are all Schlage, and except for the door between the kitchen and the attached garage (which I replaced with a new Schlage lockset of a different function because I repurposed the lock on the kitchen door) they all still work fine.

But don't get Schlage locks from Lowe's or Home Despot. Go to a locksmith shop and get the locks the professionals use.

[Note: The original kitchen door lock still works fine, too -- but it's now on a different door, and the kitchen door has a "new" lock that's only about fifteen years old.]

Kingcreek:
Take this opportunity to harden the frame and hinges while you’re at it.
My Schlage locks have been durable. Avoid tru-bolt.

Ben:

--- Quote from: Kingcreek on February 04, 2023, 09:20:04 AM ---Take this opportunity to harden the frame and hinges while you’re at it.

--- End quote ---

Much more important than locks, IMO.

sumpnz:

--- Quote from: Kingcreek on February 04, 2023, 09:20:04 AM ---Take this opportunity to harden the frame and hinges while you’re at it.

--- End quote ---

Wife wants all new doors.  Not feasible right now, but when I get a chance to do that (she wants me to make them from trees on our property) I’ll properly harden latch and hinge sides of the frame.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version