Main Forums > The Roundtable

Looking for some handgun guidance

(1/12) > >>

T.O.M.:
After carrying a Smith J-frame as my"always" handgun, I have come to the conclusion that 6/7/8/10 rounds of 9mm is better than 5 rounds of .38.  So, I'm considering one of the plentiful small 9mm pistols on the market.  I know many of you are fans of the SIG P365.  I've handled a Walther PPS M2, which felt pretty good.  A friend swears by his S&W Shield 2.0.

Anything else I should put on the list to check out?  My only requirements are that the pistol must be common enough that mags and holsters are readily available.

cordex:
I have a G43 that I like - especially for how thin it is, but if I were doing it today I’d consider one of the double stack, itty bitty nines.

Ben:
I will only add that you should check out numerous variations of the P365. My big thing with smaller guns has always been that I felt like I was giving something up to go smaller. The P365XL was the first such gun that didn't make me feel like I was compromising over a larger gun. The regular P365 still made me feel like I was compromising.

Brad Johnson:
In addition to those you named, there's the Ruger EC9s and Max-9. EC9s is a 7+1 at just over 17 ounces. Max-9 is 2-ish ounces more and 0.05" wider, but is a 12+1.

EC9s is usually $280-290 street but regularly goes on sale for $260 or so (like now at Academy). Max-9 normally streets at $490-500, but regularly goes on sal for around $430 (like now, again at Academy).

I have a couple of EC's. Bought them as gun safe extras when they went on a stupid low $239 sale a couple years ago. Nice feel in the hand. Seem to shoot just fine. Never fondled a Max-9.

Brad

WLJ:
Hellcat

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version