Author Topic: Are You Interested in Skydiving?  (Read 602 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Are You Interested in Skydiving?
« on: February 05, 2023, 08:32:31 AM »
These videos may change your mind.  :rofl:

One of my seemingly random youtube recommendations yesterday was a "skydiving gone wrong" video. Man, was that a rabbit hole for me. I thought about skydiving - at least tandem or static line - years ago, but these videos definitely change my perspective.  :laugh:

https://youtu.be/3FJp0Ku-6gg

Playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F723rIlW_No&list=PLS0eYrI6GvkNSxyACtWakteT4amucdVyQ
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Are You Interested in Skydiving?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 08:51:26 AM »
I generally avoid getting into a plane.

I sure as hell am not going to jump out of one.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 08:58:01 AM »
I’ve been considering giving it a try.  These videos don’t help……lol

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 12:53:01 PM »
Did a tandem jump in college.  Jumped from 14,000’ and fell through a cloud.  Amazing experience.  But once was enough.
Formerly sumpnz

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 03:05:46 PM »
My cousin is big into it. She jumps every weekend with good weather and is a master parachutist.

I don’t think I’ve got what it takes to step off into space, I have a hard time forcing my body to do something my mind is screaming for me not to do.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 09:37:27 AM »
I did about a dozen jumps way back when.  I enjoyed it, but I had to decide whether to spend my money on skydiving or flying lessons and I chose flying.

Today, I'm more interested in paragliding or hanggliding.  The fun part is the flying under the canopy.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 10:36:02 AM »
During WWII my Dad was an Air Commando. Though he wasn't a paratrooper, during training he had to make a few parachute jumps. He didn't like it much - bailing out of a perfectly good airplane made no sense to him - but he said he was proud of the fact that unlike a few other soldiers, they never had to actually push him out of the aircraft.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2023, 02:48:23 PM »
I never jumped out of perfectly good planes for "fun" and avoided boats that "sank on purpose".
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2023, 03:11:36 PM »
"Perfectly good" and "jump plane" are never used at the same time.   :police:

You could say, "good enough" or "we haven't crashed, yet."
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2023, 03:31:44 PM »
Skydive KC comes down to the local airport a lot during the good weather months. The little girl and I used to go watch them when we could. I've spent thousands of hours in planes but the only chute I ever used was hook to the back of a car.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2023, 04:29:26 PM »
My Dad went through jump school as part of his military service.  If I had joined the Army, I would have liked to have done that. 

I doubt I will ever mess with it now.  The only airborne stuff I would like to do is hog hunting at some point. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2023, 06:44:41 PM »
I had a great uncle who was in the 82nd during WW II.

He made every combat jump that they did and was never wounded.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2023, 07:17:41 PM »
We lived in Issaquah, WA when I was in jr. and senior high school.  There was a small grass airstrip down in the valley not far from Lake Sammamish.  It's gone now, but they used to run gliders and skydiving flights out of it back in the day.  We enjoyed watching the gliders and skydivers from our house up on Squak Mountain.
My maternal grandfather offered to pay for basic parachute lessons and my first jump when I was but a young lad of sixteen.  I was all for it.  My mother, not so much.  Now that I am older and a small fraction wiser, I don't have the interest.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2023, 08:04:46 PM »
No.

If I had to use a parachute, I could steel myself to do it, but never voluntarily.

One of my first jobs was assisting an air conditioner installer and I sometimes had to lean out an upper-floor window.  I did it, but I surely didn't like it.  Dropped a screwdriver into a courtyard once and I could swear it bounced back up two floors,

Born in Manhattan, raised in NYC, never been to the observation deck of the Empire State Buiding to admire the view.  That's what photographers do for me.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2023, 08:45:04 PM »
I will admit that we did wear parachutes during my later warbirding days when I lived in Colorado Springs.  I belonged to a loose group in COS that was not affiliated with the CAF.  We flew an old Lockheed PV-2D Harpoon.  I have no idea who packed the chutes we wore.  Hell, they may not have even been funtional.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2023, 09:16:10 PM »
Did a bungee jump way back in '92 at the Sturgis rally. The height was 180'. Kind of cool and a major adrenalin rush.
My rush was kind of spoiled though.
I was watching the guy that went next and they sort of bounced him off the ground, pretty well ruined his day.
He rebounded a good bit and just sort of hung there in the harness convulsing as they lowered him down.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2023, 08:17:08 AM »
Did a bungee jump way back in '92 at the Sturgis rally. The height was 180'. Kind of cool and a major adrenalin rush.
My rush was kind of spoiled though.
I was watching the guy that went next and they sort of bounced him off the ground, pretty well ruined his day.
He rebounded a good bit and just sort of hung there in the harness convulsing as they lowered him down.

You must have stretched the cord . . . .

I've done one tandem jump and loved it. I'd enjoy doing some really high jumps with lots of freefall, but I don't want to spend the time and money on getting there.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2023, 09:58:39 PM »
My cousin is big into it. She jumps every weekend with good weather and is a master parachutist.

I don’t think I’ve got what it takes to step off into space, I have a hard time forcing my body to do something my mind is screaming for me not to do.

How do you get to be a "master" at parachuting?  You fly up, you jump out, sooner or later you pop the chute, you drift down, you land.

Is it just an arbitrary number of jumps?  If so, I declare the arbitrary number to be zero.  Hey, I'm a Master Parachutist!
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.