Author Topic: Turkey gets rocked  (Read 1188 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Turkey gets rocked
« on: February 06, 2023, 08:26:04 AM »
By not one but now two major earthquakes. Damage and casualties reported in Northern Syria as well.
1st was a 7.8 the 2nd a 7.5

At least 1,800 reported dead but that number is likely to go up.

On going story, updates being posted here
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/64533954

« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 08:57:49 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Turkey gets rocked
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 09:50:06 AM »
Link says at least 2300 dead.  I wasn't sure what to think until I saw some of the photos.  Pretty bad.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 10:05:59 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 10:08:47 AM »
Silly man...

Those are all Trump Faults!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 10:12:10 AM »
Silly man...

Those are all Trump Faults!

Sad part is somewhere a lib is trying to come up with something, anything, to connect this to Trump. Trump caused climate change or something, and if you don't agree you're some sort of hate the earth bigot.
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 10:52:48 AM »
The obvious answer is Trump's fracking mania did it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 11:57:25 AM »
Anatolian fault system is a particularly nasty one. IIRC, some of the most violent and destructive quakes in recorded history have happened there.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2023, 01:18:20 PM »
The widespread use of un-reinforced masonry structures is a major killer.  American stick houses may be easy to breach, but they seldom kill the occupants in an earthquake.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2023, 05:23:27 PM »
The weather is probably going to add to the misery and death toll with freezing temperatures

3,500 confirmed dead after huge earthquake in Turkey and Syria but thousands more fatalities feared following tragedy which left victims 'shaken like a cradle' - as trapped survivors beg to be rescued on Facebook Live amid fears they could FREEZE to death
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11718001/SECOND-mega-earthquake-hits-Turkey-hours-record-7-8-magnitude-tremor-kills-1-400-people.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2023, 09:48:37 AM »
Very tragic. I have been to Turkey and seen stuff under construction. 10 or more story apartments of stacked hollow masonry block are standard. I walked by a construction site in Antalya and they apparently needed one more stick. It still had the bark and a few leaves. An argument against pure libertarianism because building codes are a piece of tyranny I am okay with.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 03:15:37 PM »
Now over 7,200
Sadly I expect this number to double or even triple or quadruple in the coming days.  :'(
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 05:04:40 PM »
Very tragic. I have been to Turkey and seen stuff under construction. 10 or more story apartments of stacked hollow masonry block are standard. I walked by a construction site in Antalya and they apparently needed one more stick. It still had the bark and a few leaves. An argument against pure libertarianism because building codes are a piece of tyranny I am okay with.
It isn't normally the building codes I heard conflict over.  It was the zoning along with petty bureaucrats that "approve" permits and such.  The building codes could just be set up as a liability item.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 09:15:28 PM »
Heart breaking

The smiling faces behind the photo that broke the world's heart: Father and daughter are a picture of joy together before earthquake tragedy struck and he was left holding his dead 15-year-old girl's hand
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11723779/Father-daughter-picture-joy-earthquake-struck.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 07:26:15 AM »
Death toll now over 17,000 according to the BBC.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2023, 09:14:09 AM »
Just bumped up again to 19,300
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2023, 09:17:11 AM »
My guess is the final tally is going to be between 25,000-30,000.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2023, 06:37:50 PM »
Over 21k now
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2023, 11:25:26 AM »
Note the underlined

Anger is growing in Turkey that poor enforcement of building regulations contributed to the collapse of many buildings in Monday's earthquakes, leading to the soaring death toll.

Construction regulations were tightened following previous disasters in Turkey, most recently in 2018.

Stricter safety standards were also brought in following the 1999 earthquake around the city of Izmit, in the north-west of the country, in which 17,000 people died.

But periodic "construction amnesties", which offer legal exemption to those structures built without the required safety certificates for a stated fee, have contributed to the recent catastrophe, experts suggest.

So for a fee you're allowed an exemption? 
Legalized palm greasing  :facepalm:

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/64533954?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=63e3c7a82e179876cd7c125c%26Anger%20at%20building%20standards%20grows%20in%20Turkey%262023-02-08T17%3A31%3A08.074Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:460ca3f6-6a8f-4699-8644-e606b71c6098&pinned_post_asset_id=63e3c7a82e179876cd7c125c&pinned_post_type=share
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2023, 11:45:58 AM »
Haven't we seen pretty much the same thing here on a lesser scale and under the table? Like the Florida apartment building collapse?
Graft and corruption seem to be the human condition.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2023, 01:07:07 PM »
Haven't we seen pretty much the same thing here on a lesser scale and under the table? Like the Florida apartment building collapse?

Yeah but I'm under the impression this is over the table
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2023, 11:35:29 AM »
But periodic "construction amnesties", which offer legal exemption to those structures built without the required safety certificates for a stated fee, have contributed to the recent catastrophe, experts suggest.

At least here they call it "campaign contributions" or "obtaining expert technical advice from a lobbyist."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2023, 12:09:21 PM »
At least here they call it "campaign contributions" or "obtaining expert technical advice from a lobbyist."
Or the traditional "fact finding tour". 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2023, 08:30:55 AM »
Turkey just issued a slew of arrest warrants, including for contractors.

Death toll now at 28,000.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-64615349

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2023, 11:15:42 AM »
Some reports saying it could reach 50k
- Calvin and Hobbes