Author Topic: New revelations in the JonBenet Ramsey case?  (Read 1094 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
New revelations in the JonBenet Ramsey case?
« on: February 10, 2023, 09:32:20 AM »
DNA evidence recovered a the scene did not match the parents but that fact was kept hidden all these years according to a new book.

Unearthed documents from early in the JonBenet Ramsey murder investigation show DNA evidence recovered under her fingernails and clothes was not a match for members of the family and others close to the case just weeks after the crime.

But police for years continued to float the possibility that her parents were under "an umbrella of suspicion" in the gruesome slaying, a new book on late Colorado investigator Lou Smit, who worked the case, argues in its opening pages.

JonBenet Ramsey case: Newly unearthed documents reveal DNA did not match key players early in unsolved slaying
https://www.foxnews.com/us/jonbenet-ramsey-case-newly-unearthed-documents-reveal-dna-did-not-match-key-players-early-unsolved-slaying
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: New revelations in the JonBenet Ramsey case?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 09:59:09 AM »
That case was a mish-mosh from the beginning.

I've long suspected there was some underlying issue which everyone wanted kept under the table, and I wasn't the only one.  One person opined that Jon Benet was actually a boy being presented as a girl at all the fashion shows ( ! ) and "they're" trying to keep that secret.

Egad.

But of course, since it's unsolved, access to information "while it's under investigation" will be blocked.  For two centuries, maybe three.

After all these (almost thirty) years, my interest (along with others') has dissolved, but I'm glad to see that more "information" has been  uncovered.

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 10:37:56 AM »
That case was a mish-mosh from the beginning.

One person opined that Jon Benet was actually a boy being presented as a girl at all the fashion shows ( ! )

Nowadays you're expected to view that as normal.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 11:04:17 AM »

And that kid would have to win, or you're a bigot.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 03:05:14 PM »

Not back then, 1969ish.  I lived in Boulder at the time and the buzz about the killing was incredible.  There wasn't even as much buzz when a dead baby was found in a ditch as with the Ramsey case.

The inept cop(s) assigned to the case didn't help the situation at all with one unsuccessfully trying to cover the gaffes of another, and then the one doing the covering having to be covered because of his gaffes.  I believe the word today would be a triple clusterf  k.

And that kid would have to win, or you're a bigot.

I'm not clear on what you meant there.  As noted above, in those days it was important to keep stuff like that hidden in an upstairs closet. As it were.  So letting the kid win a beauty contest on that basis was impossible in pre-Liberal Boulder at that time.

I may have heard that "theory" from a cop.  I knew a couple of them on a shoulder-brushing basis at the old city dump range north of town*.  And you couldn't hardly talk to anybody in Boulder without the Ramsey case being brought up.

But thirty years is thirty years is thirty years.

Terry, 230RN

*That old city dump became the official range of the Boulder gun club.

https://boulderrifleclub.com/

When I shot there, there was nothing.  Just a backstop.  And smoke coming up from an underground fire from all the buried dumped material down there.

That second pic in the URL is not the range.  That's a generic picture of the "Flatirons" on the south side of Boulder, near the Chautauqua resort area.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 03:40:22 PM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 03:14:14 PM »
We were both talking about what happens with gender-denying contestants today.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 04:09:44 PM »
I remember this case way back when.  Is the assailant truly unknown today, or is there a likely suspect, but not enough evidence was found to bring charges?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2023, 05:17:33 PM »
Saw that some official claimed the dna evidence on her panties could be unrelated to the case.  If it’s skin cells like someone in the supply chain could leave in the course of manufacturing, packaging and selling the garment, sure.  If it’s from bodily fluids (saliva, blood, semen, etc) or hair (especially pubic hair) that’s another matter entirely. 

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2023, 05:20:03 PM »
I remember this case way back when.  Is the assailant truly unknown today, or is there a likely suspect, but not enough evidence was found to bring charges?

Far as I know there’s no strong suspects.  Except the parents, but it seems that’s a bias on the part of the cops, rather than a reasonable suspicion.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 05:35:08 PM »
Far as I know there’s no strong suspects.  Except the parents, but it seems that’s a bias on the part of the cops, rather than a reasonable suspicion.

That's what I remember too, but it was so long ago it's vague now.  No suspects so they assume it's the parents (probably just because the beauty pageant thing was creepy), but no evidence for that either.
"It's good, though..."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 05:44:31 PM »
Yeah, the whole “child beauty pageant” scene is super creepy.  The mom was almost certainly the driving force.  Had she lived she’d probably be a 10 on the crazy scale as an adult.  She might have been a 10 on the hot scale too, depends on a lot of factors, but that still would put her in the no-go zone, or danger zone at a minimum.  The mom would have made the stereotypical mother-in-law seem like a pleasant, positive influence on a marriage.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2023, 09:40:45 PM »
We see those doing the Santa Pictures thing... They'll primp their little darlings to an incredible extent, and then they expect a professional modeling photoshoot.

It's really sad, because the poor kid will just stare at the camera with a rictus smile.
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2023, 10:47:19 PM »
 =D You've been waiting a whole month to use that word, huh?

You win.  I had to look it up.   :rofl:

Terry

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2023, 12:19:18 AM »
Not this again.   :facepalm:

It's just like the "hunting bigfoot" stories -  NEW revelations, SHOCKING new evidence, the LATEST evidence . . . but the crime isn't solved and bigfoot remains a legend.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2023, 10:26:33 AM »
Sorry, but that was a BFD at the time and since most of the information was either sealed up or effed up by the cops and other relevant authorities, it's still a BFD when new items appear. 

Even when new data or theories for the Jack the Ripper case comes up, you get that kind of editorial "splash," but that's part of the game, whether you like upper case headlining or not.

My interest in it is the fact that I lived in Boulder at the time and the "splash" was continuous, and justifiably so.  You could not pick up a copy of the Boulder Daily Camera without getting hit by it.

This was exacerbated by the fact that most people did not even know of child fashion pageants (I didn't)  and of those, a lot of people found them (as noted above) "creepy."

In fact the JonBenet Ramsey murder generated a lot of discussion about banning child pageants altogether as being abusive etc., but I guess that movement sort of evaporated.

In any case, I appreciate your comments on the general "screaming headline" techniques of click-baiting (and I agree), but that's also the name of the game. 

After all, there's an old saying about journalism:  "if it bleeds, it leads."

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 10:39:01 AM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2023, 10:37:28 AM »

This was exacerbated by the fact that most people did not even know of child fashion pageants (I didn't)  and of those, a lot of people found them (as noted above) "creepy."

Terry, 230RN

Put me in the I find them to be creepy camp.
And I have no doubt these pageants attract creeps like moths to a light.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 10:49:36 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2023, 01:23:15 PM »
^^^^^^ WLJ's post +1
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2023, 10:46:17 PM »
     I recall the case very clearly and quite often wonder if it will ever be resolved.
 At the time, I was very sure it was the parents, really disliked the poor girls mom.
 I had no idea those creepy perv magnet pageants existed , I despised those cretins just as much as I despise the brave new world we find ourselves in.

This changed my mind of the guilt of the dad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj0vqGI70Ek
  He was interviewed, and gripes about the cops not using the same genealogy DNA
 techniques used to solve so many crimes today

I want an answer to this case
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2023, 04:20:38 AM »
That fake ransom note made me suspect either the mom, or the mom trying to protect the brother.

I mentioned the Jack the Ripper case, but another unsolved big one was the Black Dahlia murder.

There are more of them than I thought.  Wiki has a list of them grouped by time periods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_unsolved_murders

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2023, 09:01:19 AM »
I suspected brother too, that ransom note is very suspicious. Apparently tho, the DNA under her fingernails is not family, the local PD want to nail it on her family and would use it in a heartbeat if they could
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2023, 10:57:14 AM »
Lots of "unsolved" murders to go around. This one didn't make the list 230RN shared.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Lauria_Bible_and_Ashley_Freeman

The wiki article barely touches the surface of the absolute flusterlcuck that took place with this tragedy.
My family has deep roots in Craig county, there are 5 generations of my family buried there. The Bible family are friends of my family, I have known some of them most of my life.

The wiki article doesn't mention that the Freeman's oldest son had been shot and killed by Craig County Deputies earlier in the year, allegedly in a drug related event. Nor does it provide any detail about the incompetent initial investigation where the Sherriff's department decided that the Freeman father must have killed his wife and abducted the girls, a story they stuck with for 2 days even after his body was discovered by family members in the burned out mobile home after the sheriff, coroner and fire dept. had cleared the scene.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2023, 07:49:42 AM »
That case may have been considered "solved" by Wiki, since:

Wikipedia
Busick pleaded guilty July 15, 2020 to being an accessory to first-degree murder in the deaths of Danny and Kathy Freeman, the torching of their home near Welch, Oklahoma, and the abduction and presumed slayings of the two girls.[9] He admitted having withheld information about the involvement of Welch and Pennington.[9] He was sentenced to 15 years for the crime, with 10 of the years to be spent in lockup
(Bolding mine)

Just guessing.  I don't know what their criterion for "solved" is.  Maybe wiiki explained that in the main body of their unsolved murder article.

It does sound like another clusterf  k, though, since the "civilians" walked around looking for clues the police might have missed and found the other body.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 08:04:42 AM by 230RN »