Author Topic: Color me shocked  (Read 479 times)

fifth_column

• friend
Color me shocked
« on: July 18, 2023, 10:25:47 AM »
The CDC numbers indicate covid deaths were over-reported. Who knew? Other than anybody paying attention.   ;/

AND the New York Times actually mentions it, which is the shocking part for me: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/17/briefing/covid.html

The official number is probably an exaggeration because it includes some people who had virus when they died even though it was not the underlying cause of death. Other C.D.C. data suggests that almost one-third of official recent Covid deaths have fallen into this category. A study published in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases came to similar conclusions.

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Re: Color me shocked
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 10:30:48 AM »
Died "of covid" or died "with covid"?
I know the coof killed folks. I had it 2x and was beat T.F. up.

But died "of toenail fungus" or died "with toenail fungus"?
7-11 was a part time job.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 10:37:35 AM »
Died "of covid" or died "with covid"?
I know the coof killed folks. I had it 2x and was beat T.F. up.

But died "of toenail fungus" or died "with toenail fungus"?

Exactly the point made in the article. In fact, the section I quoted is labeled "With vs. from"
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 10:42:24 AM »
Covid pandemic was used by many powerful people and big pharma etc to vastly increase their wealth and power. No surprise that everything was called Covid. CDC even recently admitted altering death certificates.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 11:10:50 AM »
Don't forget that the fed.gov subsidized covid, giving hospitals money for each covid patient.  You don't suppose that might have encouraged some false reporting?  Nah, that would not have happened.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2023, 09:56:21 AM »
Don't forget that the fed.gov subsidized covid, giving hospitals money for each covid patient.  You don't suppose that might have encouraged some false reporting?  Nah, that would not have happened.
And the Big drug companies subsidized the media.  They were shutting down any serious questions by buying a whole bunch of advertising and still are. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2023, 10:09:25 AM »
When I was going regularly for hand therapy I had several of the therapists and more than one doc and nurse tell me they knew the numbers were being fudged at the hospital. Basically in many cases if a patient that died tested positive for COVID they were put down as having died from COVID whether or not that was true.
Died from COVID or died with COVID?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2023, 11:25:50 AM »
Did the local hospitals get some subsidy back to pay for COVID deaths?  Money is always a big motivator to do stuff like that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2023, 01:22:38 PM »
Did the local hospitals get some subsidy back to pay for COVID deaths?  Money is always a big motivator to do stuff like that.
I believe it was done under the CARES Act's Provider Relief Fund.  I think it ended up being funded to around $175 billion in 2020 - more than twice as much as we've sent to Ukraine (including humanitarian, financial, security assistance, weapons and equipment, grants and loans for weapons and equipment).

The payments were made on both a general and targeted basis.  I believe the general distribution was based on how many Medicare patients had been served the previous year.  The targeted distribution is what has been described, of which there was somewhere between $20 and $22 billion.

https://www.hrsa.gov/provider-relief/payments-and-data/past-payments/targeted-distribution

The first round of COVID-19 High-Impact Area payments paid out $76,975 for each COVID 19 admission through April 10, 2020 if the hospital had over 100 admissions.

The second round of COVID-19 High-Impact Area payments provided $50,000 per COVID 19 admission for hospitals with a COVID-19 admission count over 160 between January 1 and June 10, 2020, or if the COVID admission per bed was at least 0.54864.

There were some other targeted payments but that $20-22 billion were the only federal programs I'm aware of that specifically compensated hospitals for the number of COVID-19 admissions.

Some states took other CARES funding and allocated it to healthcare providers, but I'm not sure how those funds were distributed.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2023, 02:30:38 PM »
I posted a link to a document in another thread a year or two back that broke down the payment amounts by the area where hospitals are located.  Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly which thread it was in.  I do remember that many rural or remotely located hospitals got larger reimbursements than larger, more centrally located hospitals.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.