Author Topic: Phantasm, cult classic movie  (Read 706 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Phantasm, cult classic movie
« on: February 16, 2023, 07:33:07 PM »
Looking for something different I searched the cult classic category on Hoopla and pulled the 1979 movie (remastered 2016 version). I had completely forgotten about it. I remember going to a midnight matinee to see it in college (with college fraternity brothers and certainly all under the influence of some smoked herbal substance).
Even without the weed (not experienced in 40+ years) I really got into it.
Those silver spheres... wow!
maybe this should be in a nostalgia thread...
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Phantasm, cult classic movie
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 07:54:52 PM »
I remember seeing that at the drive-in when it came out.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 08:04:35 PM »
the midnight matinee was pretty popular. I also remember seeing Rocky Horror Picture Show several times, Reefer Madness, and a full length music video with Pink Floyd music (filmed in Pompei?). They also had 3 stooges, Marx brothers, WC Fields etc. sometimes.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 08:31:14 PM »
I've never seen it.  Just started watching on the Roku Channel.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 08:42:40 PM »
the midnight matinee was pretty popular. I also remember seeing Rocky Horror Picture Show several times, Reefer Madness, and a full length music video with Pink Floyd music (filmed in Pompei?). They also had 3 stooges, Marx brothers, WC Fields etc. sometimes.

I remember Rocky Horror at the midnight matinee. I didn't see that one when it first came out. I think it was a year later, when me and my friends had driver's licenses. I'm pretty sure they were doing midnight showings that whole year.  It brought out some weird costume folks.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 09:19:48 PM »
Lord I've not see that movie since my college days in the mid 1980s, and I'm pretty sure that I was drunk, stoned, or both when I saw it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 10:31:04 PM »
I remember Rocky Horror at the midnight matinee. I didn't see that one when it first came out. I think it was a year later, when me and my friends had driver's licenses. I'm pretty sure they were doing midnight showings that whole year.  It brought out some weird costume folks.  :laugh:

There were midnight showings of Rocky Horror when I was in college but I never went to one.  I finally saw the movie about 15 years ago (sober!) and really enjoyed it.  The soundtrack is terrific.
"It's good, though..."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 10:36:27 PM »
Loved "Phantasm" and "Rocky Horror"! Seen RH a few times in a theater, P once then several on DVD.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023, 08:07:30 AM »
Saw Rocky Horror many times in theater in high school.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2023, 11:41:43 AM »
Remember, in addition to Phantasm, Don Coscarelli also did Bubba Ho-Tep.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2023, 04:57:36 PM »
Remember, in addition to Phantasm, Don Coscarelli also did Bubba Ho-Tep.

Brad
Wasn’t familiar with it. Gonna watch it.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2023, 09:06:32 PM »
watching Bubba Ho-tep now. freakin hilarious!

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2023, 09:11:50 PM »
When Phantasm first came out, the clips looked interesting and I made the mistake of paying to see it.   [barf]

Yeah, Bubba was funnier than Phantasm but not by much.

I never have seen RHPS in its entirety, just clips and that was more than I cared to see.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2023, 10:53:07 PM »
I never have seen RHPS in its entirety, just clips and that was more than I cared to see.

RHPS HAS to be seen in a theater full of costumed idiots with pockets full of cards, toast and squirt guns and they MUST know the "secret" phrases to yell back at the screen at the appropriate spots to be the TRULY immersive experience it is meant to be.
As a stand alone movie, it sucks! [popcorn]

Change my mind...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2023, 04:02:38 PM »
I saw both Ilsa and Flesh Gordon at a drive in.
Blog under construction

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2023, 06:06:55 AM »
I saw ... Flesh Gordon at a drive in.

Penisaurus!
MOLON LABE!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2023, 07:06:41 AM »
RHPS HAS to be seen in a theater full of costumed idiots with pockets full of cards, toast and squirt guns and they MUST know the "secret" phrases to yell back at the screen at the appropriate spots to be the TRULY immersive experience it is meant to be.
As a stand alone movie, it sucks! [popcorn]

Change my mind...
Back in high school some friends liked to go do the RHPS LARP thing.  Like you, they really liked it and made a big thing of the experience.  I guess it is one of those "you had to be there" sort of things since their description of it didn't sound like something I'd enjoy and I never went with them.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2023, 01:50:41 PM »
Back in high school some friends liked to go do the RHPS LARP thing.  Like you, they really liked it and made a big thing of the experience.  I guess it is one of those "you had to be there" sort of things since their description of it didn't sound like something I'd enjoy and I never went with them.

I initially felt that way as well but my younger cousin talked me into going and it was a hoot!
MOLON LABE!