Author Topic: The largest source of stolen guns is from parked cars  (Read 527 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The largest source of stolen guns is from parked cars
« on: March 25, 2023, 03:11:13 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/25/us/illegal-guns-parked-cars.html

Time to start driving a Prius with a unicorn sticker.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: The largest source of stolen guns is from parked cars
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 03:16:39 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/25/us/illegal-guns-parked-cars.html

Time to start driving a Prius with a unicorn sticker with a rainbow shooting out of its ass..

FTFY

bob

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 03:27:08 PM »
It being a Pirus should be more than enough
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 04:14:59 PM »
BS NYT article paywall so who knows what they said.

There is a takedown AR, and usually a pistol, in my truck as a normal standard.  I lock it, and don't have a bunch of "Gun in here" stickers, but I'm not going to run around terrified someone might break into my truck and get a gun.  I'm not responsible for criminals or their acts, they are.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 04:44:29 PM »
BS NYT article paywall so who knows what they said.

There is a takedown AR, and usually a pistol, in my truck as a normal standard.  I lock it, and don't have a bunch of "Gun in here" stickers, but I'm not going to run around terrified someone might break into my truck and get a gun.  I'm not responsible for criminals or their acts, they are.

Just curious, is that another pistol besides what's on you?

I always felt more of a need to have a gun in the car in CA, where it was much harder to do. Here, as of now the only time a gun is in the car is if I have to take it off my person to go into the doctor's office or similar place, where it's either prohibited or a pain. There's very few of those. The little post office here doesn't care (but I wouldn't do it in the city), and I've been ignoring the sign at the bank.

As for a long gun, I will sometimes take one when taking "exploratory" drives around the state, but even though I've thought about it, I have not as yet put one in as a full time "truck gun" for around town stuff.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 04:48:45 PM »
Just curious, is that another pistol besides what's on you?

Nah, It's the carry gun.  I can't carry in the facility at work, so the carry gun and holster comes off and goes in the door pocket there, and anywhere else I think it's a better bet not to have the pistol on me inside, although those are fewer these days.  I am running out of *expletive deleted*s to give about stupid carve outs like the USPS or the bar at Applebees.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 04:52:34 PM »
I am running out of *expletive deleted*s to give about stupid carve outs like the USPS or the bar at Applebees.

I will say that one thing I like about this state, is there are no "prohibited where they serve alcohol" provisions. I wish they would clarify it, as in give a number like 0.06, but there's not any specific language about having a drink. The law only says "not intoxicated". I don't worry about it for a burger and beer if I'm in the city, though the one beer is it for me, for more reasons than just the law.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 05:00:40 PM »
When I was working on the FBI contract I carried a gun until I got to the parking lot. Then it went into a lock box with a cable tie and got shoved under the seat.

And yes, I could do that because the parking lot wasn't FBI's, it was a commercial building where FBI rented space for the program I was on.

I don't do that now because the building I'm working in is wholly leased by AT&T, and they've mandated no firearms on the property.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2023, 05:08:05 PM »
^^^^

That's the kinda *expletive deleted*ck I am fresh out of.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2023, 08:38:59 PM »
I think in SC they can’t say boo about it being in your car, not that I’ve ever cared because if an employer tries to tell me they are going to search my box much less my car I’m dragging  up. I’d even carry at work if it wasn’t going to be a pain laying on a gun. Most of our field techs carry pistols in their trucks as well.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2023, 08:43:11 PM »
Oklahoma passed a law several years ago that prohibits an employer from banning guns in parking lots in non-secured areas. If it was accessible to the general public they could not ban guns in cars. Local AT&T management tried to tell us that the law didn't apply to them since they were a multinational company. The state AG actually got involved and sent them a letter informing them that they were wrong.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2023, 10:37:53 PM »
Right now I drive a car where the crook figures they might improve my credit if they rob me. Before that I drove a subaru lesbian wagon. Really helps when you're parked in a sea of pickups with rob me stickers.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 07:13:13 AM »
Here in St. Louis, the folks from West County drive into the urban zone to do some sportsball, and they leave their guns in the cars, since they can't take them into the stadiums. The youts then go through the parking lots, doing fast smash and search.

If I was gonna go to a game, I'd uber. But that ain't gonna happen. I don't like unarmed victim zones.
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2023, 09:43:07 AM »
Oklahoma passed a law several years ago that prohibits an employer from banning guns in parking lots in non-secured areas. If it was accessible to the general public they could not ban guns in cars. Local AT&T management tried to tell us that the law didn't apply to them since they were a multinational company. The state AG actually got involved and sent them a letter informing them that they were wrong.
Texas has a similar law.  I don't think it has really been tested in court yet.  Most of us have to park inside chemical plants so they generally say they can still ban them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2023, 01:16:45 AM »
Right now I drive a car where the crook figures they might improve my credit if they rob me. Before that I drove a subaru lesbian wagon. Really helps when you're parked in a sea of pickups with rob me stickers.

When I lived in the barrio in west Denver, I had a rather beat up pickup which I used to park on the street.  (I kept my car in bacj,)

One day just about every car on that street for a couple of blocks up and down got broken into,  My  disreputable old truck was untouched.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.