Author Topic: Has your news been govt-approved?  (Read 449 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Has your news been govt-approved?
« on: February 20, 2023, 12:06:54 PM »
I don’t think we have a thread about…

the government-funded “Global Disinformation Index,” which blacklists news outlets critical of the Biden administration in an effort to starve them of advertising dollars. Meanwhile, it praises progressive pro-Biden “news” outlets such as Huffpost that have lost libel lawsuits after repeatedly making false claims, giving them its highest ratings despite their history of factual errors because of how they gullibly repeat Biden administration talking points praising Biden and attacking his critics.

As predicted, the Disinformation Governance Board was never really scotched – just taken in for retooling. Looks like they outsourced it.

As Professor Michael Munger notes, “the worrisome thing” about this “is that the U.S. government pays substantial sums to a foreign organization whose literal, self-professed job is to pressure advertisers to boycott publications that….disagree with the U.S. government.” As the New York Sun notes, the London-based “Global Disinformation Index defines ‘disinformation’ as narratives that are ‘adversarial’ to democratic institutions” — that is, the government — “or at-risk groups.”

As a result, GDI views publications that publish criticism of the government to be “misinformation,” even when they make no factual errors. GDI claims that the 10 “riskiest” news outlets for disinformation are:

The New York Post
Reason
The American Spectator
Newsmax
The Federalist
The American Conservative
One America News
The Blaze
The Daily Wire
RealClearPolitics.

https://hotair.com/headlines/2023/02/19/global-disinformation-index-smears-truthful-critics-of-government-abuses-with-disinformation-label-n531816

So I guess we know where to get fake news we can trust. Aside from The Babylon Bee, of course.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

griz

• friend
Re: Has your news been govt-approved?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 01:24:43 PM »
From their site:

At-risk groups or institutions generally, in our view, fall into three broad categories: at-risk demographics, institutions like science or medicine, or elements of democracy. Examples range widely from immigrants in the above example to protected classes like women, persecuted minorities, people of color, the LGBTQ+ community, children, etc., to scientific or medical consensuses on topics such as climate change or vaccines, to democratic processes like voting or the judicial system.

Their site explains that these "at risk groups" are the ones they are working for, not consumers, citizens, etc.

What amazes me the most is they seem completely blind to their own bias.  They mention that Breitbart's use of the emotionally charged term "illegal alien" is evidence of contextual disinformation, yet in the same paragraph describe Breitbart as "notorious".   Do they really receive government money for this?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 03:22:17 PM »
What amazes me the most is they seem completely blind to their own bias.  They mention that Breitbart's use of the emotionally charged term "illegal alien" is evidence of contextual disinformation, yet in the same paragraph describe Breitbart as "notorious".   Do they really receive government money for this?

Those who control the language control the narrative.

An alien is someone from another locale.

Illegal is something contrary to the law.

Therefore, in a sane world, someone from another locale who is in the United States unlawfully is BY DEFINITION an "illegal alien." That's a simple fact. Only in clown world would that be deemed "disinformation."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 03:41:49 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/@AgroSquerril/videos
This youtube channel narrates a bunch of Sci Fi short stories. 

One of the stories I heard yesterday (not sure if it was the last one or older) involved an alien infiltrating the human Govt by running for political office.  Her cover was blown when she refused a bribe.  After which all the people who heard this supported her in running for higher office.  It was pretty amusing given the last few years.  In the story, the alien group taking over apparently supported common sense govt and individual rights (only alien politicians would support that).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 03:59:41 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 04:13:37 PM »
In the story, the alien group taking over apparently supported common sense govt and individual rights (only alien politicians would support that).

Hmmm...

When I hear "common sense," I usually expect to lose rights.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 04:56:17 PM »

Hmmm...

When I hear "common sense," I usually expect to lose rights.
I guess I should have said "uncommon sense". 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2023, 05:01:45 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 05:16:05 PM »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.