Author Topic: Has anyone in Michigan heard of this?  (Read 488 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Has anyone in Michigan heard of this?
« on: February 23, 2023, 12:14:36 PM »
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/02/21/michigan-christian-nationalists-00083251

My wife's half-sister sent us this article.  She lives close by. I think it will be interesting to see how the county does.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Re: Has anyone in Michigan heard of this?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 01:05:16 PM »
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/02/21/michigan-christian-nationalists-00083251

My wife's half-sister sent us this article.  She lives close by. I think it will be interesting to see how the county does.
How do i know that's Ottawa County without clicking it.
Yeah. I live in Ottawa County. It's a shitshow.
They've designated their preferred candidate to oppose the already republican and acceptably conservative Drain Commissioner.  The flippin drain commissioner is too woke for them. 
I'm sure they'll find a perfectly qualified and manipulatable database engineer or freight broker for the job.
7-11 was a part time job.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 01:11:08 PM »
Skimmed the article and saved it for later.
Yes sir. A total shitshow.
When the POLITICO holds up former Mayor Roger Bergman and Doug Tjapkes as bastions of progessive reason, i have to believe we are livin in
BIZZARO COUNTY
7-11 was a part time job.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 02:45:59 PM »
As I read that article, I kept waiting for the bad news about the scary "hard-right" "Christo-fascists."

I'm still waiting.

The article is long on implications of dire horror, but very short on any specifics of what that might be.

I guess if you are frightened of Christianity, or don't think Christians should be allowed to run for office, then this article might worry you. If you don't yet understand that "diversity, equity, and inclusion" really means racism, this article might bother you.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 02:55:09 PM »
As I read that article, I kept waiting for the bad news about the scary "hard-right" "Christo-fascists."

I'm still waiting.

The article is long on implications of dire horror, but very short on any specifics of what that might be.

I guess if you are frightened of Christianity, or don't think Christians should be allowed to run for office, then this article might worry you. If you don't yet understand that "diversity, equity, and inclusion" really means racism, this article might bother you.

I think I agree.  I skimmed through the first half only.  They mentioned a bunch of things the "far right" people did in the first meeting or two and all of it was rather meaningless fluff.  He kept describing people as Trump supporters, election deniers, and ivermectin supporters.  Unless there was something more concrete in the 2nd half of the article, seems like a pretty pointless and irrational article.

It doesn't mean these new office holders aren't idiots, just that I see nothing showing that in the article. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 03:00:14 PM »
We're getting a lot of this "christofascist" talk here as well at the local and state level, mostly all coming from our media and the "take back Idaho" movement.

Everytime some city wants to keep boys and girls bathrooms separate, or not have male to male blow job books in elementary schools, or anytime a state rep looks to expand gun rights, or protect women's rights in sports, they are labeled "christofascist extremists". I suppose we probably have some actual "Christian extremists", whatever you want to define that as, but everything right of center is labeled as extremism by the aforementioned groups.

I think this labeling is just becoming a thing nationally, especially in red states.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 03:08:05 PM »
We're getting a lot of this "christofascist" talk here as well at the local and state level, mostly all coming from our media and the "take back Idaho" movement.

Everytime some city wants to keep boys and girls bathrooms separate, or not have male to male blow job books in elementary schools, or anytime a state rep looks to expand gun rights, or protect women's rights in sports, they are labeled "christofascist extremists". I suppose we probably have some actual "Christian extremists", whatever you want to define that as, but everything right of center is labeled as extremism by the aforementioned groups.

I think this labeling is just becoming a thing nationally, especially in red states.
And it seems to me a lot of people are happy to pick up that rhetoric and run with it without looking at the details.  Everyone left of center isn't a communist and everyone right of center isn't a right wing fascist. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 03:52:05 PM »
...everyone right of center isn't a right wing fascist.

If that term even makes sense. Heck, most people seem to believe Donald Trump is "far right." It's silly.

At church, we've been hearing about a revival that's been going on for the past few weeks, at Asbury University. A group of people that sympathetic observers (conservative Christians) have described as "Christian nationalists" and "far-right paramilitary" tried to in some way take over the proceedings, and make it into a political movement. (They were expelled.) Feds, I imagine. 

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023, 03:52:40 PM »
I didn't see anything in the article about the bad things that these Christofascists actually did.

They closed the office of diversity, equity and inclusion!

Why did the country actually have something so stupid in the first place?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2023, 04:02:33 PM »
I didn't see anything in the article about the bad things that these Christofascists actually did.

Why did the country actually have something so stupid in the first place?
I wouldn't only close the office, I'd lay off everyone who had those words as part of their title or job description, since they're just code words for "I'm Useless!"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2023, 04:09:55 PM »

"Christian nationalists"

Oh yeah, that one gets thrown around here more than "christofascist". Another nebulous term.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2023, 04:53:27 PM »

The horror...