Author Topic: Chicago  (Read 17319 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Chicago
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2023, 06:16:52 PM »
The governor is sending "peace keepers"

Will have about the same effect as the Walmart door greeters do on shoplifters.
How long before one or more of these "peace keepers" are shot?

Gov. Pritzker hopes Chicagoans feel safer with ‘yellow-vested Peacekeepers’ on the streets
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2023/05/27/gov-pritzker-hopes-chicagoans-feel-safer-with-yellow-vested-peacekeepers-on-the-streets/

Didn't a guy named Curtis Sliwa start something like this a couple of decades ago?

In fact, the Guardian Angels has (or had) a chapter in Chicago. Why does the city need a competing group? Why not support and revitalize the Guardian Angels?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2023, 07:12:32 AM »
Didn't a guy named Curtis Sliwa start something like this a couple of decades ago?

In fact, the Guardian Angels has (or had) a chapter in Chicago. Why does the city need a competing group? Why not support and revitalize the Guardian Angels?

That's a rhetorical question isn't it?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2023, 09:25:38 AM »
why?

BECAUSE GOVERNMENT IS HERE TO HELP YOU, YOU FOOL!

Remember the reception that the Guardian Angels got when they were formed?

Ed Koch's NYPD essentially said "No, we have no interest in criminals, we're going to go to war with YOU, Sliwa."

And go to war with Sliwa they did.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2023, 09:29:13 AM »
Because they weren't a government controlled agency.
What the government doesn't control the government fears. What the government fears they want to destroy.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 09:56:52 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2023, 08:57:28 PM »
Sad state of affairs when I feel like I have to tell you the below is from the Babylon Bee and not real.......yet

City Of Chicago Sues Murder Victims For Not Getting Out Of The Way Of Bullets
https://babylonbee.com/news/city-of-chicago-sues-murder-victims-for-not-getting-out-of-the-way-of-bullets
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2023, 05:37:42 PM »
That goes for this one too

:rofl:

Lori Lightfoot Teaches Harvard Course On How To Catch Raw, Wriggly, Delicious Fishes So Tasty Sweet, Yes Good Precious
https://babylonbee.com/news/lori-lightfoot-teaches-harvard-course-on-how-to-catch-raw-wriggly-delicious-fishes-so-tasty-sweet-yes-good-precious
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2023, 09:17:37 AM »
Remember the uproar when Walmart among other retailers had either announced they were closing a bunch of stores in Chicago or had already pulled out because of.. well reasons? Well the mayor has a solution, city owned stores.

“All Chicagoans deserve to live near convenient, affordable, healthy grocery options. We know access to grocery stores is already a challenge for many residents, especially on the South and West sides,” Johnson said in a statement. “A better, stronger, safer future is one where our youth and our communities have access to the tools and resources they need to thrive. My administration is committed to advancing innovative, whole-of-government approaches to address these inequities.”

But not everyone is having it

Sam Sánchez, a prominent Chicago restaurateur, tweeted the intent was noble but that the idea wasn’t good, as the city would be “operating in the red and (losing) tax payers money.”

“Control crime and business will come,” Sanchez tweeted.
What a fascist far right wing crazy will never work idea!

Mayor Brandon Johnson explores city-owned grocery store in Chicago
https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-chicago-owned-grocery-store--20230913-qru4pig5tjghlbtfolnhdkijxa-story.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2023, 10:03:52 AM »
Jesus Christ!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Could you imagine shopping there?

Welcome to Piggly City of Chicago Supermart! How can we help you?

I need to buy some groceries.

OK, please fill out this form, in triplicate. From there it will go to our social services department for order approval and payment to be deleted from your welfare account. Please note that if any item is denied purchase, you won't receive it but you WILL be charged for it as a penalty, so please order carefully.

When the social services department is done your order will be forwarded to the provisioning department. Your order will be bundled with other orders to ensure that we receive the very best prices.

Uh... that sounds like it's going to take more than a few minutes.

Oh, much more! After the order is received, it will be sent to our central city location for sorting and packaging. Then it will be shipped back here to the store, and someone will reach out to you to let you know that your order is ready for pick up. You will be assigned a pickup time. If you cannot pick up your order at that time, your order will be returned to the central city location. You will receive no reimbursement. So make sure you can come at your assigned time!

Really? How long will it take for my order to get through all of that?

Only 6 to 8 weeks! Our speed ensures that you have the freshest produce and other products available! Hardly out of date or spoiled at all!

But what if I need groceries now?

Now? NOW? Why didn't you think of your needs sooner? We're a government social services grocery store! We don't have the time or inclination to prioritize your needs! We serve the welfare of all, NOT the individual!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2023, 10:13:48 AM »
Government owned grocery store? Sounds great! It's never been tried before, so it will be interesting to see how much better it is than those stupid free market stores.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2023, 11:16:46 AM »
^^^^^
Nothing to shoplift would certainly cut down on shoplifting. See another Dem success!
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2023, 01:47:35 PM »
Chicago's "contamination" flows freely.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2023, 01:07:54 AM »
Of late, at both my local supermarket and at the Super Walmart where I occasionally stop, it's all I can do to get through the food aisles because they're full of store workers backing bags and boxes for customers who call in their orders and then just show up to have an employee bring the stuff out to the parking lot and put it in the car.

It shouldn't be a quantum leap to just eliminate customers in the stores entirely have make the whole operation a curbside pickup operation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2023, 06:47:24 AM »
God, tell me about it. And I think my local groceraterium hires the most brain dead people possible to do order picking.

One of those arseholes ran me down with a cart a couple of weeks ago. Literally slammed into me without even as much as a "get the *expletive deleted*ck out of my way, customer scum!" I snapped at her and she just looked at me, so on my way out I lit up the manager.

I don't think he was much more with it.

Those morons, along with the "PUT THE ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA! DON'T REMOVE BAGS FROM THE BAGGING AREA! YOU MUST PUT THE ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA!" from the checkouts and just the miserable quality of the produce has really got me rethinking my patronage of that chain.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2023, 08:32:24 AM »
Of late, at both my local supermarket and at the Super Walmart where I occasionally stop, it's all I can do to get through the food aisles because they're full of store workers backing bags and boxes for customers who call in their orders and then just show up to have an employee bring the stuff out to the parking lot and put it in the car.

It shouldn't be a quantum leap to just eliminate customers in the stores entirely have make the whole operation a curbside pickup operation.
I've been running into more and more of that at my local HEB store. (HEB is the largest grocery chain in the Austin, TX area.) I can see potential for boxed and canned goods, but when it comes to fresh foods like meat and produce, I really would rather pick out my own. I'm not sure whether or not they get refrigerated/frozen items for pick up - if they do, I can see issues.

My register tapes usually have a "fill out online survey and you might win a gift card" message on them. I always complain about "HEB Shoppers" clogging the aisles - so far, to no avail. (No surprise there.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2023, 09:41:40 AM »
And stores will miss out on the impulse buying business.  I don't know how many times I've run across items I needed that I forgot to put on my shopping list, or found other "goodies" I gotta have out of the corner of my eye.

I remember in the supermarket impulsively picking up a package of three ping-pong balls of all things, remembering how my cats used to love them.  (Especially in the bathtub.)

I gave them to a cat owner friend of mine and she never failed to mention how much her cat loved them.  She and her cat and the ping-pong balls moved away recently.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 10:27:11 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2023, 07:31:20 AM »
Fun Fun Fun
Bet some lefty DA in Chicago will try to prosecute the guy.

Tesla driver plows into crowds and other cars in desperate attempt to escape an unruly takeover mob in Chicago - as police stand by doing nothing
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12634055/Chicago-Tesla-Lower-Wacker-demonstratoions-car-smash-video.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2023, 02:05:06 PM »
Another Chicago Anti-Violence Activist in the news for being....well...violent

All too often, however, those “former” offenders haven’t really left their old ways behind. Just a few weeks ago the head of an anti-violence program in New York pled guilty to drug and weapons charges after authorities accused him of being a part of a major cocaine trafficking operation in Orange County, for instance, and in Chicago a number of Ceasefire workers have been arrested over the years, charged with everything from selling heroin to possessing a gun after a felony conviction.

The most recent example also comes from Chicago, where a 49-year-old man who told police he works as an anti-violence activist is behind bars in Cook County after a local business owner accused him of attacking him with a baseball bat during a robbery of his store. As CWB Chicago reports, Fontane Lewis is currently facing charges of armed robbery and aggravated batter in connection with the incident.

Well what did the store owner expect when he missed his $250/week anti-violence payment?

Chicago Anti-Violence Activist Accused of Violent Armed Robbery, Shakedown
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/11/13/chicago-anti-violence-activist-accused-of-violent-armed-robbery-shakedown-n77210
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2023, 05:02:40 PM »
Getting what they voted for

Let's Go Brandon! New Approval Polls for Chicago's Mayor Are Absolutely BRUTAL
https://twitchy.com/coucy/2023/11/15/brandon-johnson-chicago-n2389832
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2023, 05:49:32 PM »
Getting what they voted for

Let's Go Brandon! New Approval Polls for Chicago's Mayor Are Absolutely BRUTAL
https://twitchy.com/coucy/2023/11/15/brandon-johnson-chicago-n2389832
Indeed.

When it came to the runoff election, Chicago had bad and worse to choose from - and decided to go with the latter.

I grew up in Chicago, and all my old friends and relatives - those who still live in Illinois - have fled the city. I'm a little sad to see the city decline - which I believe is deliberate, intentional, and malicious - but I stopped feeling sorry for the people who live there a long time ago since they keep pulling the D lever no matter what.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2023, 10:28:33 AM »
Musk To Put Cybertruck’s Bulletproof Armor To Ultimate Test With Trip Through Downtown Chicago
https://babylonbee.com/news/musk-puts-cybertrucks-bulletproof-armor-to-the-test-with-trip-through-downtown-chicago
- Calvin and Hobbes

zahc

• friend
« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2023, 04:56:28 PM »
Indeed.

When it came to the runoff election, Chicago had bad and worse to choose from - and decided to go with the latter.

I grew up in Chicago, and all my old friends and relatives - those who still live in Illinois - have fled the city. I'm a little sad to see the city decline - which I believe is deliberate, intentional, and malicious - but I stopped feeling sorry for the people who live there a long time ago since they keep pulling the D lever no matter what.

Have there been viable R candidates?

I'm not going to pretend Chicago leadership is good. Chicago's successes are made in spite of its leadership rather than because of it. But bad D leadership doesn't imply existence of viable R candidates.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2023, 04:59:32 PM »
Have there been viable R candidates?

I'm not going to pretend Chicago leadership is good. Chicago's successes are made in spite of its leadership rather than because of it. But bad D leadership doesn't imply existence of viable R candidates.
How do you define viable?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2023, 05:07:12 PM »
How do you define viable?

Occasionally or ever getting elected is a good metric for viable.

What you attribute to the stupidity of the 12 million people in Chicago, I attribute to the worthlessness of the Republican party. This sort of denial of failure has to stop if the Republican party is ever to reform itself.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2023, 05:36:10 PM »

What you attribute to the stupidity of the 12 million people in Chicago, I attribute to the worthlessness of the Republican party. This sort of denial of failure has to stop if the Republican party is ever to reform itself.

Illinois R.s are pretty worthless.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2023, 07:18:05 PM »

So you’d like to see the Republican Party improved by running on a platform that appeals specifically  to Chicago voters?