Author Topic: A Fair News Report on Guns  (Read 441 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
A Fair News Report on Guns
« on: March 02, 2023, 08:42:18 AM »
Wow. I was impressed with this Arizona MSM TV station's very fair story on suppressors. They were very clear on them not "silencing" guns, which is what a state politician insinuated in the clip.

https://youtu.be/FbfJ4fsOqDA

I'm going to make the one old guy I hunt with watch it. A couple of weeks ago, he went on a rant in the goose blind that American Hunter magazine had a positive story about silencers and hunting. He claimed silencers are an unfair advantage for the hunter against the poor animals. Nothing to say when I mentioned his scope is 10X the advantage against an animal that a silencer is. He also believed that silencers are silent. Next time he comes out, I'm making him stand next to me when I fire a 5.56 suppressed.  :laugh:

It's amazing how many people, especially "gun people", think silencers are magic.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: A Fair News Report on Guns
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 09:48:21 AM »
I sometimes wonder if they hear suppressors at a gun range.  When you have been shooting unsuppressed with hearing protection on, then you shoot suppressor or someone nearby does, it sure seems pretty quiet.  Of course, take the ear plugs out and it is actually pretty loud. 

I doubt that is the case.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 10:02:20 AM »
I sometimes wonder if they hear suppressors at a gun range.  When you have been shooting unsuppressed with hearing protection on, then you shoot suppressor or someone nearby does, it sure seems pretty quiet.  Of course, take the ear plugs out and it is actually pretty loud. 

I doubt that is the case.

Are you kidding? Just being near someone firing a gun with a *GASP!* SILENCER *DOUBLE GASP!* would cause immense amounts of post traumatic stress disorder! Can't be having our shrinking flowers hurting psychologically.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 10:10:26 AM »
I think the VAST majority of shooters in the US have never seen a can used in real life.

on my range they are pretty ubiquitous, but my range is pretty strange.  I know when I was still going to the local corporate indoor ranges I never saw NFA items on the line, other than rental machine guns.

The one time I showed up with a can to Shoot Straight they made it such a pain in the ass, I would never bring one back.  They kept going on and on how I needed to have the "original, real" tax stamp with it anytime it left my house, or I could go to jail.  (never mind it was an eForm can, so there is only an email)

Outside of the "tactical shooter" circles, you don't really see that many.  They are scary and mysterious to a lot of shooters.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 10:17:54 AM »
That was a pretty good article.  Even fit in the line about the Hollywood myths and the trope of two people shooting at each other suppressed while no one around realizes it. 

Even with a quiet 22 pistol, I am not sure you could shoot repeatedly in a crowded area without it being noticed pretty quick. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 10:21:40 AM »
Suppressors are not super common at my range, but you do see them here and there.  It is a private membership range. 

When I used to used to shoot at public ranges, the only time I recall seeing an NFA item is someone was shooting a full auto Uzi at an indoor range.  Pretty cool. 

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 10:31:34 AM »
Even with a quiet 22 pistol, I am not sure you could shoot repeatedly in a crowded area without it being noticed pretty quick.

People at my range bring them all the time.
In a a bolt action rifle with sub-sonic 22s the click of the hammer & firing pin is louder than the actual shot.
A bit louder in most pistols due to 22 pistols being straight blowback for the most part.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 10:48:44 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 10:42:39 AM »
Obviously, yer hunting buddy would be much happier next to me when I shoot my M1a bush rifle with the 18” barrel and smith ent compensator. I suggest no ear protection for the full experience.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 10:45:35 AM »
People at my range bring them all the time.
In a a bolt action rifle with sub-sonic 22s the click of the firing pin is louder than the actual shot.
A bit louder in most pistols due to 22 pistols being straight blowback for the most part.

My range is humongous, so I don't see, but usually rather hear, people with them (not that you can always tell). Plenty of people in my neck of the woods seem to buy them, because there are a decent number of shops that promote them, and my LGS has a pretty big ass case dedicated to them, so there must be demand to keep that kind of stock.

So yeah, a canned .22 is gonna be close to movie quiet, and when I shoot my FNX-45 with subsonics, it gets pretty quiet, but I'm sure you can still hear it even a couple of hundred yards away. People not in the know might not recognize it as a gunshot. Otherwise, you pretty much have to tune your gun and ammo to get a can (semi) quiet. There's a pretty big difference shooting my .300BLK with sub and supersonic ammo.

One thing I find interesting is that so many European countries with heavy gun restrictions let you (once you have a license) buy a suppressor like it's a bottle of milk. I don't think they're even considered "firearms", and it's my understanding that they are even required at ranges in some countries for hearing safety.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 10:46:43 AM »
Obviously, yer hunting buddy would be much happier next to me when I shoot my M1a bush rifle with the 18” barrel and smith ent compensator. I suggest no ear protection for the full experience.

I went through the hassle of having a gunsmith remove the pinned muzzle brake on my M1A after I left CA and set it up for a can. Still pretty freakin' loud.  :laugh:

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 10:49:49 AM »
I went through the hassle of having a gunsmith remove the pinned muzzle brake on my M1A after I left CA and set it up for a can. Still pretty freakin' loud.  :laugh:

Will a M1A run with sub-sonic 308?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2023, 10:53:35 AM »

IDK. I've never tried, and am still going through all my surplus 7.62 in it. I'm not sure that a can on it was the best decision I ever made. I might go back to just a flash hider, now that I live where I can swap stuff out. The Rex Silentium that I bought for it is actually parked on my PWS MK111 right now.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2023, 10:58:27 AM »
They kept going on and on how I needed to have the "original, real" tax stamp with it anytime it left my house, or I could go to jail.  (never mind it was an eForm can, so there is only an email)

I have to get better about the tax stamp copies. No one would even think to ask at my range, including all the LE that use it (it seems to be the main range even for departments an hour or more away), but you never know when a fed could show up. I too often switch cases or just toss the gun in the back of the 4Runner. What I should do is make copies of all my stamps and just put them in the glove box so they're always with me.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2023, 11:06:29 AM »
Silencers are getting much more popular.

As of 2021, there were 2,664,775 registered ones in the NFA.

Some of these are owned by police departments.

If they aren't in common use yet, they will be soon.

I've got one and plan on another.  It is the only way to shoot (combined with plugs/muffs) that can eliminate risk of hearing damage.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2023, 11:37:42 AM »
I have to get better about the tax stamp copies. No one would even think to ask at my range, including all the LE that use it (it seems to be the main range even for departments an hour or more away), but you never know when a fed could show up. I too often switch cases or just toss the gun in the back of the 4Runner. What I should do is make copies of all my stamps and just put them in the glove box so they're always with me.

My tax stamps never leave my house.  The eForms, I guess, I could pull up on my phone if a Revenuer asked, but as for the rest, get a warrant and meet me at my house.  There's no reason to automatically assume a commercially produced can is illegal untaxed.  How the hell would I even get it?

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2023, 12:39:35 PM »
I doubt it, unless it’s got an adjustable gas piston. Some were available aftermarket.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2023, 02:37:07 PM »
My suggestion would be to take photos of the tax stamps on your phone and keep them there where you can access them.  I have been told an electronic copy is fine.

If you can scan them to a PDF, that would work also.  I scan most of mine on the copier.  I do try to make extra copies when I get them.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2023, 02:40:39 PM »
I have never tried subsonic 308.  That is pretty much the same as 300 blackout, but if that is all you have. 

I have mounted a Silencerco suppressor on a SA M1A Socom.  It was still loud, but it wasn't "blowout your ears" loud. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2023, 11:09:35 PM »
My range is humongous, so I don't see, but usually rather hear, people with them...

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife