Author Topic: Is there an arborist in the house?  (Read 477 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Is there an arborist in the house?
« on: March 02, 2023, 07:54:55 PM »
Had a tree die off on me.
I believe the tree is a Black Oak (part of the red oak family of oaks).
I noticed that it was shedding it's bark a couple of months ago.
About 10 years or so ago I had several oak trees succumb to this particular disease but other than "some kind of tree virus" I never really got a real cause and kind of moved on.
I did a little internet searching and came up with Hypoxilon canker.
https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advice-tips-resources/pests-and-problems/diseases/cankers/hypoxylon-dieback-of-oaks

Kind of hated to see it die off. I didn't notice any issues with it last Summer and Fall. Wasn't very big, the butt at ground level was just about 24" around and tapered pretty quit to about 14" at the 12' above ground level.
I'm going to get after it with my Alaskan Chainsaw Mill and make a few boards out of it should be able to get a a couple of 1X8s and one or two 1X6s out of it. as well as a few hunks for the wood lathe.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Is there an arborist in the house?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 09:32:37 PM »
I'm thinking oak wilt since it spreads via the root graphs in red and white oaks. That makes sense since you have had several oaks die. Seems to affect red oaks faster than white oaks.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 01:54:39 AM »
I'm thinking oak wilt since it spreads via the root graphs in red and white oaks. That makes sense since you have had several oaks die. Seems to affect red oaks faster than white oaks.

I was thinking that too.  I didn't know about the difference between red and whites, but it makes sense since white oak is closed grain and red oak is open grain. (perhaps the fungus doesn't care about that and it doesn't matter if I think it makes sense)  Is it treatable with systemic fungicides?
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 06:45:58 AM »
Is it treatable with systemic fungicides?

No, unfortunately.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 07:27:56 AM »
"Hypoxilon canker."

Related to G-23 Paxilon Hydrochlorate?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2023, 08:35:43 AM »
"Hypoxilon canker."

Related to G-23 Paxilon Hydrochlorate?

That's just all we need.  Trees becoming Reavers.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 08:36:25 AM »
Effective control of oak wilt focuses on hygiene and sanitation.   Systemic fungicides are used to control spread to susceptible trees around the periphery of a hotspot.  The diagnostics, fungicide and application equipment is expensive enough to consider hiring it out, but probably within the realm of most of us.
The key thing is read the label, understand the label, use PPE, grok molar calcs when mixing, and sourcing the product.  Its been a while since my CPA* license lapsed, well before Oak Wilt took root, but sale of fungicide in the concentrations needed for effective injection MAY be limited to licensed applicators.
Give Mr. Haney a call, down at the extension office. He'll know.

*certified pesticide applicator, no fooling

7-11 was a part time job.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 09:18:44 AM »
All you ever wanted to know about oak wilt

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/oakwiltusda.pdf

I do disagree with their chemical control section, mostly because it is a crap shoot, expensive, and it is hard to treat every compartment* of the tree. Basically, you're just kicking the can down the road.

*interior of a tree isn't uniform, you need to hit every vascular tissue "tube" to even get possibly get 100% control.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 09:43:01 AM »
Give Mr. Haney a call, down at the extension office. He'll know.

Don't you mean Mr. Kimble?   =D
"It's good, though..."

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2023, 11:04:42 AM »
Don't you mean Mr. Kimble?   =D
Yes, that's  corrupt. Wait, uh no, that's wrong.  I mean that's correct. Ummm. No.not correct that i meant Haney, You're correct that I meant Kimball.  Hank Kimball. County extension agent.
Hold on.. I'd better check.
Yeah.  Me.
7-11 was a part time job.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2023, 11:27:36 AM »
Oh darn, I misread that as Abortionist. =|
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2023, 01:05:37 PM »
Never really looked up any diseases.  2022 saw a pretty good drought most of the year at my parents land.  Just enough rain to keep thing green, but not enough to really allow anything to grow.  Probably 1 in 10 post oak trees died, or it seems that way. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 01:48:12 PM »
We had a dry-ish Summer but not really seriously drought level. But could have been enough to push a less than robust tree over the edge.
I got a confirmation of Hypoxilon canker by multiple people from a forestry forum I spend a little time on so I'm leaning that way.
Weather permitting I'll break out the Alaskan chainsaw mill next week and try o make some lumber out of the log. I'll post up some pics when I get it doen.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2023, 01:51:33 PM »
That's just all we need.  Trees becoming Reavers.

Ent reavers.  They get hasty.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2023, 02:54:19 PM »
"It's good, though..."