Author Topic: Meatloaf Tip  (Read 1756 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Meatloaf Tip
« on: March 05, 2023, 03:52:18 PM »
This is Less about the recipe and more about technique.

If you pour the grease off a meatloaf every 15 minutes it completely changes the texture and makes it much better tasting. Learned it from my father in law.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Meatloaf Tip
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 04:14:59 PM »
Do you save the grease and fry taters in it?  =)  You can also bake it on a rack.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 05:02:13 PM »
Do you save the grease and fry taters in it?  =)  You can also bake it on a rack.

The rack is what I do: I shape it into a mound and put in on a rack set into a sheet pan. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 05:10:35 PM »
SWMBO does not like meatloaf, no way, no how.  She makes it for me once in a while because I do like it.  The last time she made it, she used a recipe that switched out the usual ketchup for BBQ sauce.  Darn tasty, better than the ketchup version.  And she uses 93% lean hamburger in the meat loaf so there is very little grease to pour off.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 05:29:30 PM »
It sounds like you're cooking your meatloaf in a loaf pan...

Not the best way to do it. Even with draining the grease/liquid, you still end up mostly stewing your meatloaf.

I cook my meatloaf on a piece of parchment on the bottom of a roasting pan. That way any liquid simply runs away from the loaf instead of stewing it and you get a very nice crust on the outside.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 07:27:36 PM »
SWMBO does not like meatloaf, no way, no how.  She makes it for me once in a while because I do like it.  The last time she made it, she used a recipe that switched out the usual ketchup for BBQ sauce.  Darn tasty, better than the ketchup version.  And she uses 93% lean hamburger in the meat loaf so there is very little grease to pour off.

I’ve never used plain ketchup, never have liked it on meatloaf. I put either BBQ sauce or I wisk some Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and A1 into a glaze and broil it for five minutes after the main cooking is done.

No I don’t use a loaf pan (my Mom always did hers in a loaf pan and I don’t really care for it as much). I just lay a sheet of aluminum foil in the bottom of a 13x9 Pyrex dish and pour it off that way. Enough grease retained to be moist but not stew in it and develops the crust

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 07:28:20 PM »

I have not but I wish to subscribe to your newsletter…

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 10:35:07 AM »
You can also bake it on a rack.

Have always used the rack method. Works, and works well.

One trick I learned was toasted sesame oil. A few drops in the mix imparts a nice bacon-ey flavor. Be sparing, it's easy to use too much.

Also works for cornbread.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB