Author Topic: In other Supreme Court news ...  (Read 3740 times)

Pb

• friend
Re: In other Supreme Court news ...
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2023, 08:29:50 AM »
When did convicted felons become lifetime prohibited persons? Was it the 1934 NFA or the 1968 GCA?

Federally, in the 1968 GCA.

Our governments cannot or will not permanently lock up all violent criminals.  In my opinion, they should all be killed, but that is even less likely.  I suppose banning them from owning guns is an attempt to mitigate this damage.  I think the evidence on weather it works or not is mixed (there appears to be evidence that banning them from carrying can reduce murder to some extent).

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2023, 09:35:48 AM »
A house divided against itself can not stand = The USA

Just end stage empire stuff, nothing new under the sun.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2023, 04:19:41 PM »
Quote from: Hawkmoon
When did convicted felons become lifetime prohibited persons? Was it the 1934 NFA or the 1968 GCA?

Federally, in the 1968 GCA.

So there's no long-standing tradition in the country's history, which means that could fall under Bruen. Which would be good news for people convicted on non-violent felonies, and especially for people who years ago pleaded guilty to misdmeanor domestic violence, only to be retroactively prohibited by a stroke of the President's pen.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2023, 04:46:49 PM »
There is a longstanding history in US law of the Government barring firearm ownership to people or classes of people when the gov felt that ban was for the public good.  Blacks and Native Americans were the prominent examples, but there were others.  Those laws actually predate the 2nd, and come from English common law.

I wouldn't bet against the court dredging that up and using it to justify disarming "dangerous" people being OK under the 2nd.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2023, 01:45:59 AM »
If you want a little sophomoric humor this evening, Count Dankula has changed his Twitter name to Justice Dankula again and of course he has people responding to him as if he were an SC Justice.   =)

https://twitter.com/CountDankulaTV

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2023, 03:07:14 PM »
There is a longstanding history in US law of the Government barring firearm ownership to people or classes of people when the gov felt that ban was for the public good.  Blacks and Native Americans were the prominent examples, but there were others. 

Slaves and Indians were commonly banned from owning guns as you pointed out.  During the revolutionary war, some loyalists were disarmed (I believe they got their guns back after the war.)

I have been unable to find any other examples of citizens being banned from owning guns in the USA during the founding through reconstruction era.

Please correct me if I wrong... but banning felons from owning guns doesn't appear to have been something that was done.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2023, 03:19:33 PM »
That was my point.  It doesn't have to be felons.  I have faith (if that's the right word) that the justices can find in the tradition of the government disarming whole groups it felt to be too dangerous the justification they need to keep guns out of the hands of undesirables.

This is the most pro 2A court we've ever had, but they are also members of the elite.  I do not think they will allow felons to own guns just automatically. Wife beaters is a pretty big stretch as well.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2023, 03:23:34 PM »
Elizabeth Warren Says Without Affirmative Action, A Native American Girl Like Herself Would Never Have Been Accepted To Rutgers
https://babylonbee.com/news/elizabeth-warren-says-without-affirmative-action-a-native-american-girl-like-herself-would-never-have-been-accepted-to-rutgers

Babylon Bee BTW.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2023, 04:39:33 PM »
Not the Babylon Bee

When asked for his thoughts on SCOTUS decision in 303 Creative LLC v. Elenis, Pete Buttigieg claims without evidence that Lorie Smith "only went into the wedding business for the purpose of provoking a case like this." pic.twitter.com/Ln6KTqsfbe
    — Kevin Tober (@KevinTober94) July 2, 2023
https://twitchy.com/justmindy/2023/07/02/pete-buttigieg-made-up-website-supreme-court-n2385037

:facepalm:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2023, 05:04:21 PM »
Elizabeth Warren Says Without Affirmative Action, A Native American Girl Like Herself Would Never Have Been Accepted To Rutgers
https://babylonbee.com/news/elizabeth-warren-says-without-affirmative-action-a-native-american-girl-like-herself-would-never-have-been-accepted-to-rutgers

Babylon Bee BTW.

"I would have been trapped in a life of growing corn and tanning buffalo hides," explained Senator Warren. "For me, affirmative action was the difference between Rutgers and the reservation."

Several other Democrats have also expressed frustration at the prospect of universities no longer being able to discriminate against people based on the color of their skin. "How can we educate the young minds of America when we have to let Asians in?" asked Senator Sheldon Whitehouse. "We're trying to overcome oppression here. What have Japanese-Americans ever been through?"

:rofl:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2023, 05:09:39 PM »
Their writing staff is top notch
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2023, 05:48:59 PM »
Not the Babylon Bee
https://twitchy.com/justmindy/2023/07/02/pete-buttigieg-made-up-website-supreme-court-n2385037

Pete Buttigieg claims without evidence that Lorie Smith "only went into the wedding business for the purpose of provoking a case like this."

:facepalm:

He says that like it means something.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2023, 09:43:59 PM »
Fake 'Facts' Were Presented to the Supreme Court    Steve Lehto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdEgtjMR0ME

Regarding the case about making a gay website.  The request to make a gay website might have been fake?  Or maybe the person doesn't want to admit they did it.  Or someone did it with his contact information.  Doesn't matter at this point. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2023, 10:15:26 AM »
It's obvious your intellect didn't get you in there

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX): “I rise today as a clear recipient of affirmative action, particularly in higher education.” pic.twitter.com/OSRVQQsMrF
    — Greg Price (@greg_price11) July 11, 2023
https://twitchy.com/artistangie/2023/07/12/rep-sheila-jackson-lee-states-she-is-a-clear-recipient-of-affirmative-action-n2385311
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2023, 11:44:23 AM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2023, 12:09:11 PM »
Has she paid her FAIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR SHAREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?

Oh, wait, she's a liberal icon. She doesn't have to pay....

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sotomayors-wealth-skyrocketed-since-joining-supreme-court-raising-ethics-concerns
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.