Author Topic: Was just gifted a Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket 25ACP!  (Read 864 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Was just gifted a Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket 25ACP!
« on: March 11, 2023, 06:26:15 PM »
I was just gifted a nice, rust free, 80% bluing left, some pitting but very shallow, Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket 25ACP Auto Pistol, Mfg 1924, SN 339XXX, by the Wife's Aunt we moved in with!

« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 12:14:01 AM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
Re: Was just gifted a Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket 25ACP!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 08:08:49 PM »
Sweet!!!

That's a nice little gun, and in the condition you can go shoot it without the museum folks going crazy.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 08:35:15 PM »
GOOD ONE, ENJOY!
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 08:38:57 PM »
SWEET!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 05:47:45 AM »
Will probably pass it along to someone who wants it. It will just sit in my safe till I die otherwise. I see they have some value.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 09:22:14 AM »
I wouldn't pass it along before shooting it - when it comes to diminutive pocket pistols, centerfires tend to be more reliable than rimfires, largely because much of the rimfire ammo on the market today seems to be less reliable than it was a generation or two in the past. And when it comes to defensive use, the difference between bare hands and a .25 is greater than the difference between a .25 and a .45.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023, 09:37:24 AM »
I wouldn't pass it along before shooting it - when it comes to diminutive pocket pistols, centerfires tend to be more reliable than rimfires, largely because much of the rimfire ammo on the market today seems to be less reliable than it was a generation or two in the past. And when it comes to defensive use, the difference between bare hands and a .25 is greater than the difference between a .25 and a .45.

As far as punch you can't really use the data you often see published for 22lr since the data is usually for out of a rifle barrel. Out of the same barrel length 25ACP and 22LR are pretty much the same punch wise with 25ACP having the more reliable ignition system.

Always wanted one, not to carry, but just because
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2023, 01:25:24 PM »
Always wanted one, not to carry, but just because

This may be yer golden opportunity...
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2023, 02:14:10 PM »
This may be yer golden opportunity...

While I appreciate the offer money is just too right right now and I wouldn't be able to pay you anything near what that thing is worth.
Thanks
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2023, 03:00:34 PM »
While I appreciate the offer money is just too right right now and I wouldn't be able to pay you anything near what that thing is worth.
Thanks

PM an offer, I might surprise ya...
MOLON LABE!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2023, 05:17:13 PM »
 I have one of the similar guns, a Beretta .25acp , my plan is to carry it later this year at places/events that frown upon carrying guns.
I really like .25 acp .

That's a sweet little gun!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2023, 05:27:03 PM »
Slightly off topic, I was looking to see what these are going for right ow and I came across this thing on Gunbroker.  A 1908 Vest Pocket that some ahole cerakoted bright blue.  Dear Gods why?  Not only is it ugly, you picked the exact shade used to denote non firing or simunitons trainers.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/975262828

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2023, 05:37:18 PM »
I had one just like that around 1964 when I was a LEO.  Carried it my pocket as a spare.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2023, 06:59:29 PM »
Slightly off topic, I was looking to see what these are going for right ow and I came across this thing on Gunbroker.  A 1908 Vest Pocket that some ahole cerakoted bright blue.  Dear Gods why?  Not only is it ugly, you picked the exact shade used to denote non firing or simunitons trainers.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/975262828

Buy Now Price
$1,400.00

Someone is smoking crack!
MOLON LABE!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2023, 09:05:16 PM »
I have a similar FN model, but mine is in much rougher shape.

My grandfather got it in Oran, Algeria during the second world war.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2023, 09:45:51 PM »
One of my uncles had one of those. They are sweet little pistols.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2023, 11:43:09 PM »
. . . you picked the exact shade used to denote non firing or simunitons trainers.
Maybe that was deliberate, because, well, reasons.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2023, 12:04:52 AM »
Maybe that was deliberate, because, well, reasons.

Shoulda done an Orange muzzle dip to complete the effect?
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2023, 06:59:24 AM »
Not a single bid on that thing.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2023, 07:11:17 AM »
I've wanted one ever since I moved to formerly free Colorado.  Closest I came was I was gifted with a Jennings (or Bryco or whatever) in .25.  I kind of like the .25 cartridge and I still have loading dies and bullets for it, even though I passed it on.

Was surprisingly accurate, but the safety on it was a bit dangerous, so I kept it under my couch cushions with no cartridge in the chamber.  I was never sure why, since I also kept a .357 nearby anyhow, but there it was.

Why the "post 1917" difference for the Colt?  What's up with that?

Terry, 230RN

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2023, 08:58:27 AM »
Not a single bid on that thing.
As tasteless as it is, I'd pay up to $100 for it, but only if I could run a box of ammo through it first with no malfunctions and verify the safety worked. And then I'd put different grips (Orange? Lime green?) on it.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2023, 09:03:42 AM »
Check out the other guns he has up

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/975262984 Nasty engraving  [barf]

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/975063878 Whats the going rate for Llama 1911s right now?
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2023, 09:51:10 AM »
Check out the other guns he has up

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/975262984 Nasty engraving [barf]

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/975063878 Whats the going rate for Llama 1911s right now?
That doesn't look like actual engraving, it looks more like a really, really bad photo or laser etch.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2023, 09:54:48 AM »
That doesn't look like actual engraving, it looks more like a really, really bad photo or laser etch.

Yeah, photo etched. Couldn't think of the term before the 2nd cup of coffee.

[barf]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 10:12:17 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2023, 10:10:50 AM »
Paul Harrel recently did a comparison between 22 LR and 25 acp in short barrels.  Might be useful.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge