Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 3278 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Coffee
« on: March 13, 2023, 07:29:32 AM »
Over the past two decades, I have gone from "I must have the proper beans, freshly ground moments before, with the exact water temperature, etc." to the present "Fumble a poddy thing into the thing with the button, and make the stuff that makes me keep moving."

Sigh.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Coffee
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 08:19:59 AM »
For years I took a thermos of Maxwell House to the office. Then I found that Wegman's ground coffee was even better than MH and a lot cheaper, so I switched to that.

Now, though, I've given up on taking a thermos to work and I'm drinking the Alterra coffee pods that are free at the office.

Not particularly good, but free.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 09:11:00 AM »
For years I was a "whatever is hot, brown, and has caffeine in it" kinda guy. Didn't care. Picked up a can of Dunkin's at some point, likely because it was one sale (my criteria for coffee at the time), and was really surprised at how good it is. Now it's my go-to brand. Fortunately, Sam's carries it. I keep a small container by the coffee maker, freezing the rest and doling it out as needed. Seems to keep well that way.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 09:43:20 AM »
I absolutely cannot stand Dunkin Donuts brewed coffee at the stores. It's horrid.

I'm also decidedly NOT a fan of the ground or beans.

CastleKey has always been a fan of grinding his own beans. When he moved to his retirement home, about the only whole beans he could find on a consistent basis convenient to him were Dunkin's. I'll admit that the grind and brew your own is better than what you can buy in the stores, but I'm still not a huge fan.

A number of times I've taken beans with me, or bought Starbucks when we're in the nearest town that has one, when I visit.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 10:36:26 AM »
I always jump around with my coffee making. For a good while, I was on the "grind beans daily" and pour over or french press. Now I only do that on the weekends using a local coffee brand. Weekday mornings I am doing the Keurig with either Kirkland medium roast, or one of the Kauai Coffee coffee pods. Usually their medium roast as well.

Side note, if you can get the GOOD peaberry beans from Kauai Coffee (generally, the Amazon peaberry beans are not them) they are outstanding. Hot Ukrainian ex-coworker, who lives on Kauai, occasionally sends me a bag.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 12:48:29 PM »
I was a "fresh ground lightly roasted aribica" snob for years.  Preferred it percolated.  Sometimes even a Moka Pot. Four or more cups per day.

In 2021 went on a month long low budget road trip. For "logistical reasons"  I did what I needed with a Svea stove at rest areas and roadside parks.  It weaned me off all together and for months was coffee free, happily living by my bological clock.

I went back to work this January. My inner caffeine addict came alive, within a week I was putting a cold cup of my wife or daughter's day old leftover drip in the microwave, drinking a pint of mud, in the dark, alone, each day before dawn. 

Caffeine's a helluva drug.
7-11 was a part time job.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 01:33:32 PM »
I always jump around with my coffee making. For a good while, I was on the "grind beans daily" and pour over or french press. Now I only do that on the weekends using a local coffee brand. Weekday mornings I am doing the Keurig with either Kirkland medium roast, or one of the Kauai Coffee coffee pods. Usually their medium roast as well.

Side note, if you can get the GOOD peaberry beans from Kauai Coffee (generally, the Amazon peaberry beans are not them) they are outstanding. Hot Ukrainian ex-coworker, who lives on Kauai, occasionally sends me a bag.

We bought a bag (whole beans) a few years ago as a souvenir when we went to Hawaii.  I opened them up recently and they really are amazing.  I wish we'd bought several bags and that I had opened them sooner.

Usually I use Aldi or Folger's ground coffee, brewed kinda strong in a pour-over drip coffee maker.  Sometimes I use the Keurig with dark roast pods, but I don't like the new ones I got at Aldi this time; they were out of the ones I usually get there.  I also buy big boxes of dark roast pods at Costco and Sam's but I don't remember what brand, I like those.  The Costco "breakfast blend" pods that my wife likes are crap; I can drink them if I add some instant coffee.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 01:49:21 PM »
Several years old and they're amazing?

Beans that old should be pretty much undrinkable as they've aged, dried out, and the oils should have gone rancid. Can you imagine what they must have been like when they were fresh?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 01:53:44 PM »
Several years old and they're amazing?

Beans that old should be pretty much undrinkable as they've aged, dried out, and the oils should have gone rancid. Can you imagine what they must have been like when they were fresh?

They were in a sealed foil package; vacuum packed I think but don't remember.  There was no oxygen for the oils to go rancid.  They probably were better when fresh, but they weren't stale yet.  Being whole beans probably helped too.
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 12:20:27 PM »
22 cents per pod, which means it takes 44 cents for me to face the world.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079V7QCX4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2023, 05:48:57 PM »
22 cents per pod, which means it takes 44 cents for me to face the world.

40 cents per pod, unless you're getting two cups out of a pod.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 09:49:45 PM »
Had a Keurig, got rid of it after a few hears, just like a regular old cheap simple drip coffee maker better. Wife called me crazy. I like it because I can vary the strength and it tastes fresher to me than the Keurig.

I make 4-4.5 “cups” in the morning (enough for two mugs or a small Yeti cup), clean it, and it’s ready for the next morning.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2023, 10:51:51 PM »
I go through a 12 oz bag of coffee every 2 weeks, so I buy pre ground coffee. I bounce between HyVee brand Donut Shop, French Quarter Medium Roast, Verona Street Breakfast Blend, Medaglia D Oro, and whatever my lady friend brings me from Mexico.

I have a 14 cup Cuisinart drip machine.

I do use my single maker, stove top pot, or my expresso press at times.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 07:14:49 AM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2023, 10:55:23 PM »
I've come to prefer a light roast, like a donut shop coffee. I also like hazelnut-flavored coffee, though I can barely taste the difference.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2023, 03:07:53 AM »
40 cents per pod, unless you're getting two cups out of a pod.

Okay! I paid $22 and change for the hundred I got today... First out of the gate?

Tomorrow morning will set the bar...
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 07:00:36 AM »
"I go through a 12 oz bag of coffee every 12 weeks"

You use an ounce of ground coffee a week?

What do you drink, lightly tinted hot water?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 07:19:16 AM »
"I go through a 12 oz bag of coffee every 12 weeks"

You use an ounce of ground coffee a week?

What do you drink, lightly tinted hot water?

I fixed it, I buy a bag or can of coffee every 2 weeks.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2023, 10:28:28 AM »

Okay! I paid $22 and change for the hundred I got today... First out of the gate?

Tomorrow morning will set the bar...

I wondered if that might have been the case after I thought about it for a minute.  Amazon is wonky.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2023, 01:23:35 AM »
And... Back to $22... At the moment.

One of the folks at worked liked it.

Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2023, 07:18:29 AM »
The Government should be providing coffee free to anyone who wants it.

Caffeine is a human right.

It is also a medical necessity.

Companies charging money for it is what is wrong with capitalism.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2023, 09:36:53 AM »
The Government should be providing coffee free to anyone who wants it.

Caffeine is a human right.

It is also a medical necessity.

Companies charging money for it is what is wrong with capitalism.

Except to white people. White people drinking coffee is racist, let them drink tea. Oh wait, tea is Chinese. let them drink water, oh wait, access to clean water is white privilege..................
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2023, 09:52:18 AM »
And... Back to $22... At the moment.

One of the folks at worked liked it.

Didn't last.  Shows as $40.43 again.  Or maybe Amazon just doesn't like me.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2023, 10:06:04 AM »
"Or maybe Amazon just doesn't like me."

It's not just Amazon...

:rofl:

Actually, I've noticed that at times, too. The price that one person gets doesn't seem to last for the next person, even minutes later. I really wonder what kind of pricing algorithms Amazon has going sometimes. 

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2023, 11:32:10 AM »
"Or maybe Amazon just doesn't like me."

It's not just Amazon...

:rofl:

Ah, man.  Sniffle.  I'm gonna take my mouse pad and go home.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2023, 07:08:18 AM »
Ah, man.  Sniffle.  I'm gonna take my mouse pad and go home.

Pick up some coffee on your way!