Author Topic: The Oscars  (Read 800 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: The Oscars
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2023, 05:09:44 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2023, 11:01:02 PM »
How long before a man wins Best Actress?
Didn't Dustin Hoffman get a nomination for Tootsie?

And Julie Andrews got a nomination for her role in Victor/Victoria, playing a woman pretending to be a man pretending to be a woman . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2023, 07:04:14 AM »
And the race card is coming out hard and fast, with virtually all of it directed at Jamie Lee Curtis' win.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/oscars/jamie-lee-curtis-s-oscar-win-has-sparked-backlash-and-people-are-not-holding-back/ar-AA18xU1M?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=6f8cd07bd2164a48ff6c9363659f131d&ei=71

African Americans are pissed off that she won over Angela Basset, and Asians are pissed off that she won over Stephanie Hsu.

One comment...

"Random mundane white woman in film, one of the antagonists even, winning in a film with a primarily asian cast is crazy."

And, overt threats of violence...

"everyone who voted for jamie lee curtis over angela bassett and stephanie hsu needs to sleep with one eye open"

That's charming.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2023, 07:09:34 AM »
Oscar who?

I echo others on that.  Must be twenty years since I gave up caring a nit about the awards except for some technical things like the music.

I discovered ninety percent of it was "inside" manuevering, gift giving, favor-trading, schmoozing and snoozing, and so on.  I'm not sure the other ten percent had anything to do with skill or talent.

How-ev-er, as a loyal member of APS, I did scan briefly through this thread and found nothing to pique my interest except the amusing suggestions for various people to smack other various people.

Good-o on that. :evil grin:

Terry, 230RN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2023, 07:12:07 AM »
Didn't Dustin Hoffman get a nomination for Tootsie?

And Julie Andrews got a nomination for her role in Victor/Victoria, playing a woman pretending to be a man pretending to be a woman . . .

Yep, but that was the year that Ghandi was released, and Ben Kingsley was a shoe in for the Oscar.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2023, 07:15:31 AM »
And now people are losing their minds over Brendan Fraser winning for The Whale, and also for the movie being awarded for best makeup.

FRASER'S NOT FAT! HOW DARE THEY AWARD HIM FOR PLAYING A FAT MAN!

These stupid *expletive deleted*s apparently don't understand what acting is.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/oscars/the-whale-won-best-makeup-at-the-oscars-and-people-are-not-happy-about-it/ar-AA18zPNl?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=119efd084d614d5a9fe28911dd2ccb64&ei=14

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2023, 01:30:42 PM »
Why is no one talking about Kimmel embarrassing this lady (and himself)? Gross.

https://youtu.be/tfODCZE7Kcc
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife