Author Topic: The Oscars  (Read 761 times)

HankB

• friend
The Oscars
« on: March 13, 2023, 10:13:10 AM »
 :facepalm:

I DID NOT watch the Oscars, but I just read this morning that "Best Picture" was Everything, Everywhere, All At Once.

I had this on a Netflix DVD, and it's one of the few movies I've rented that was SO BAD I didn't watch the whole thing. In fact, I quit when there was a kung fu fight in which the fighters, in order to access kung fu skills from a parallel universe, had to shove random office objects up their backsides to alter probability.

The other parts of the movie sucked too, but the aforementioned scene was the last straw in this wretched piece of cinematic garbage.

FWIW, the only other 2023 Best Picture nominee I've seen so far was Top Gun:Maverick (liked it), and I'll eventually see the All Quiet on the Western Front remake, if only to see how it compares with a couple of previous versions. Maybe - when I'm bored - I'll take a look at Dancing With Smurfs II (Avatar Way Of Water).

The other nominees look like utter crapola. I'm thinking, considering how bad these are,  JUST WAIT until the Motion Picture Academy's DEI prerequisites kick in . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: The Oscars
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 10:17:11 AM »
I had this on a Netflix DVD, and it's one of the few movies I've rented that was SO BAD I didn't watch the whole thing. In fact, I quit when there was a kung fu fight in which the fighters, in order to access kung fu skills from a parallel universe, had to shove random office objects up their backsides to alter probability.

Sounds fabulous
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 10:23:46 AM »
I give not one *expletive deleted*it about the Oscars or the entitled whiny bitches who think their opinions drive public policy...

But I was very happy to see that Brendan Fraiser won Best Actor. From all accounts he's not like the "beautiful people" set. He's apparently approachable, friendly, down to earth, likes to talk to his fans and doesn't think he shits gold and diamonds.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 10:27:24 AM »
I give not one *expletive deleted*it about the Oscars or the entitled whiny bitches who think their opinions drive public policy...

But I was very happy to see that Brendan Fraiser won Best Actor. From all accounts he's not like the "beautiful people" set. He's apparently approachable, friendly, down to earth, likes to talk to his fans and doesn't think he shits gold and diamonds.

Always liked him for the reasons you gave. The Hollywood elites have given him crap for not being like them for years.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 11:30:57 AM »
Did Will Smith hit anyone?  That's the only clip I want to see.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 12:05:15 PM »
I'd like to see him slap Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Jason Statham, or (drum roll please) Chuck Norris.  >:D

Yeah, I know some of these guys are getting along in years, but I still think it would make the show more entertaining.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 12:14:22 PM »
The Film Threat channel on youtube was having a watch party with some people I follow.  I had some other stuff to do and didn't catch it.  If I hadn't heard about that, I wouldn't have even known it was happening. 

I heard some say Everything, Everywhere, All At Once was decent, but I never saw it.  Top Gun Maverick was pretty good. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 12:34:48 PM »
How long before a man wins Best Actress?
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 12:37:47 PM »
How long before a man wins Best Actress?

2004. Hillary Swank.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 12:42:06 PM »
I see where Top Gun Maverick (  [barf] ) managed to get the best sound Oscar which I think was a mercy award for such a cheesy movie. IMO this was nothing more than a rehash of the original Top Gun which was pretty much a really good recruiting tool but a Top Cheesy movie.

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 12:51:07 PM »
2004. Hillary Swank.

She won an Oscar for playing a guy but she is a she.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2023, 01:04:42 PM »
Linda Hunt won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for playing a guy in The Year of Living Dangerously (1982)
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2023, 01:10:53 PM »
and I'll eventually see the All Quiet on the Western Front remake, if only to see how it compares with a couple of previous versions.

I recommend watching it as a standalone, rather than comparing it to the book or the original movie. I thought is was very good as a standalone. As usual, I also recommend watching it subtitled rather than dubbed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2023, 01:16:40 PM »
also recommend watching it subtitled rather than dubbed.

Same for Das Boot
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2023, 01:17:30 PM »

One of the things I always liked about Brendan Fraser is how mobile and expressive his face was and that he could change it in an instant.
Sadly, I like Jamie Lee Curtis but she is not aging well.  Shes over 4 years younger than I am and looks 5-10 years older.
  :old:  [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2023, 01:21:32 PM »
Same for Das Boot

And make sure to watch the 3+ hour version of that, which was a mini-series on kraut TV at the time.

There's a new Das Boot on Hulu. I'm only one episode into it, so am not sure what I think yet.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2023, 01:24:28 PM »
:facepalm:

I DID NOT watch the Oscars, but I just read this morning that "Best Picture" was Everything, Everywhere, All At Once.

The other parts of the movie sucked too, but the aforementioned scene was the last straw in this wretched piece of cinematic garbage.

FWIW, the only other 2023 Best Picture nominee I've seen so far was Top Gun:Maverick (liked it), and I'll eventually see the All Quiet on the Western Front remake, if only to see how it compares with a couple of previous versions. Maybe - when I'm bored - I'll take a look at Dancing With Smurfs II (Avatar Way Of Water).

The other nominees look like utter crapola. I'm thinking, considering how bad these are,  JUST WAIT until the Motion Picture Academy's DEI prerequisites kick in . . .

That scene is probably why the movie was even nominated, and why it swept so many categories.   [barf]
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2023, 02:28:20 PM »

I'd like to see him slap Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Jason Statham, or (drum roll please) Chuck Norris.  >:D

Yeah, I know some of these guys are getting along in years, but I still think it would make the show more entertaining.

Oscars Ratings Soar As Nation Watches In Hopes Of Seeing Someone Slap Jimmy Kimmel
https://babylonbee.com/news/oscars-ratings-soar-as-nation-watches-in-hopes-of-seeing-someone-slap-jimmy-kimmel
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2023, 03:13:37 PM »
Same for Das Boot
And Apocalypto.

. . . Sadly, I like Jamie Lee Curtis but she is not aging well.  Shes over 4 years younger than I am and looks 5-10 years older.  :old:  [barf]

Am I the only one seeing a bit of a resemblance between Ms. Curtis and Biden's admiral??

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2023, 03:17:38 PM »
And Apocalypto.

Please don't tell me there is a dubbed ver of that after all the trouble they went through to film it in Mayan
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2023, 03:19:36 PM »
Am I the only one seeing a bit of a resemblance between Ms. Curtis and Biden's admiral??

One has boobs and a vagina the other cos-plays they do
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2023, 03:37:46 PM »
She won an Oscar for playing a guy but she is a she.

Sure... she's a she... Believe what you want to believe. :rofl:

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2023, 04:05:28 PM »
Was "A Man Called Otto" up for anything? Loved it but needed tissues watching it.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2023, 04:34:06 PM »
Oscar who?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2023, 05:01:21 PM »