Author Topic: That's a pretty bad day...  (Read 474 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
That's a pretty bad day...
« on: March 13, 2023, 10:52:48 AM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/pickaway-county/man-hospitalized-after-pickaway-county-zebra-attack/amp/

Long story short... guy has a farm where he raises zebras.  Apparently, he pissed off a male zebra, who attacked him and bit off the guy's arm.  Male zebra continued to attack/be aggressive until a deputy put it down.

See what this "spring forward" stuff does??? 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: That's a pretty bad day...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 11:24:59 AM »
Yikes!

This gives rise to the obvious question: What caliber for zebras? The deputy in the photo was holding what appeared to be a fairly normal carbine, not an AR-15-style weapon of war and mass destruction.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 11:50:18 AM »
I used to work with zerbras in a zoo.  They are neat animals, but scary.  I thought if any animal killed me, it would be a zebra running over me.

Biting an arm off is a new one for me though.   :O

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 11:56:25 AM »
Yikes!

: What caliber for zebras? The deputy in the photo was holding what appeared to be a fairly normal carbine, not an AR-15-style weapon of war and mass destruction.

Looked like a pump shotgun to me
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 12:09:00 PM »
Yikes!

This gives rise to the obvious question: What caliber for zebras? The deputy in the photo was holding what appeared to be a fairly normal carbine, not an AR-15-style weapon of war and mass destruction.
I used a .30/06 with a 180 grain Nosler Partition.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 12:57:40 PM »
Man, that's wild. 

I've dealt with aggressive animals before, but this is a horse of a different color.  He definitely earned his stripes as a dangerous animal.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 01:12:39 PM »
I took care of a lady one time after a stallion (horse) got irritated and bit her. Instant mastectomy. Those things are not big dogs.

bob

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 01:22:34 PM »
One account from a PCSO deputy in the incident report says the “zebra was aggressive due to being protective of about five or six female zebras that were in the field.”

"Spring breeding season".
And it appears that the man will keep his right arm as it was not "bitten off".
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 01:41:38 PM »
Man, that's wild. 

I've dealt with aggressive animals before, but this is a horse of a different color.  He definitely earned his stripes as a dangerous animal.

Well played sir.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 01:42:42 PM »
I used a .30/06 with a 180 grain Nosler Partition.

Yep, they’re not especially hard to kill.  Anything that would work for a horse would be plenty.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 02:51:16 PM »
Looks like a good old fashioned 870 did the trick.  No idea what they were loaded with.  Probably some variation of buckshot, but a lot of rural departments around here keep a box of slugs in the cruisers for wildlife or farm animals.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2023, 11:10:44 PM »
Man, that's wild. 

Very good. =D

Looked like a slung pump shotgun to me, street sweeper, trench-gun style at glance 1.    Probably 2 3/4" four buck at guess 1.  Maybe shorty Aguilars at guess 1 1/2.

:)

What does anyone raise zebras for?  Replacements for zoos?  For folks who want to "one-up" their horsey neighbors?  Meat?  Camouflage in snowstorm? 

Terry
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 11:47:41 PM by 230RN »

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2023, 01:39:27 AM »
Addendum:

This is quite negative regarding keeping and breeding wild animals.

MONSTERQUEST TV Show.

Tigers in the Suburbs
Season 3, Episode 24
In the third-season finale, reports of large cats, perhaps jaguars or leopards, roaming the eastern United States and killing deer, are explored.