Author Topic: DRE may not be useful for prostate cancer screening  (Read 201 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
DRE may not be useful for prostate cancer screening
« on: March 15, 2023, 11:09:37 AM »
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/989605#vp_1

Results of a PROBASE study on the effectiveness of digital rectal exam for prostate cancer screening: not so hot.  PROBASE is an ongoing German study of 46,000 men on various prostate cancer screening issues.

There are also questions about the effectiveness of PSA screening in low-risk men, so I am left to wonder if in the next several years, will there be any prostate cancer screening recommended on low-risk men?  Our urology people see just enough cases of advanced prostate cancer in younger men with no risk factors to make them leery of abandoning prostate cancer screening.  I will discuss this with my internist at the next visit, but I am still leaning towards a periodic PSA for myself.  It is cheap, safe, relatively non-invasive and I look at it in the same way as getting periodic colorectal cancer screening and my wife getting mammograms.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: DRE may not be useful for prostate cancer screening
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 11:16:25 AM »
I'm all for elimination of the finger if it's (good) science supported. I'm high risk and get an annual PSA that is always really low. Sometimes that makes me (admittedly with no scientific evidence - just emotion) worry about the effectiveness of the PSA test.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

castle key

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 12:57:53 PM »
If the DRE is eliminated, we will eliminate a huge source of base humor.

We all know most of the jokes!

Says me, negative on every DRE and Friday I start the treatment for my fortunately early and non aggressive prostate cancer.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 01:09:35 PM »
If the DRE is eliminated, we will eliminate a huge source of base humor.

We all know most of the jokes!

Says me, negative on every DRE and Friday I start the treatment for my fortunately early and non aggressive prostate cancer.

Oh man - sorry to hear that Castle Key. I'm at least glad that it was an early catch, and I hope it is quickly and easily resolved. Did the PSA tip them off?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."