Author Topic: Wagyu corned beef  (Read 1696 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Wagyu corned beef
« on: March 16, 2023, 09:06:31 PM »
Having more money than sense, and wanting to impress the eight neighbors we invited over for St. Paddy's, I bought a Wagyu corned beef brisket at Costco at $ 8.99 per pound.  I will be interested to see if it is substantially better than the typical corned beef brisket.  It goes into the slow cooker tomorrow at 0700 with pickling spices and beef broth. I would ordinarily also use Guinness stout, but a couple of the neighbors avoid alcohol.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Wagyu corned beef
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 09:15:20 PM »
Please do report back. I've never had Wagyu beef, but if Costco has it at $8.99, I might try a sample if your report is positive.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 09:51:53 PM »
I just checked the package and it is from Snake River Farms and is a corned beef round, not brisket.

Snake River charges $ 139 for for an eight pound round direct from SNF.  My 5.32 pound for $ 47.83 is a comparative bargain.

https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-wagyu-beef/roasts/corned-beef.html

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 07:04:28 AM »
OK, I thought the entire purpose of Waygu beef was that it was really well and evenly marbled.

The secret to cooking Waygu beef is hot, fast, and short, because if the longer, slower cooking methods are used, the fat will melt out of the meat and you essentially end up with very expensive shoe leather.

Long, slow, moderate heat cooking? I'm not sure how that would really benefit a cut of meat like Waygu.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 10:59:17 PM »
The people have spoken: all ten people around the dinner table said this was the best corned beef they ever had.  The taste, tenderness and texture was superior to the ordinary supermarket corned beef.  I am going to go back to Costco and grab a smaller one for the freezer while they are still there.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 07:24:01 AM »
OK, very glad to hear that!

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.