Author Topic: US airman accused of insider attack in Syria cleared of all charges  (Read 176 times)

MechAg94

• friend
US airman accused of insider attack in Syria cleared of all charges
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/air-force-insider-attack-syria-not-guilty/?utm_term=Task%26Purpose_Today_03.17.23&utm_campaign=Task%20%26%20Purpose_TPToday_Actives_Dynamic&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email

I was curious if someone else had seen this story.  From the looks of it, this guy was run through the ringer on very weak evidence.  Makes me think they didn't know who did it and someone was trying to avoid anyone looking at the lack of security for the site.  Maybe I am being too suspicious.

Tech. Sgt. David W. Dezwaan Jr. was recently found not guilty of dereliction of duty, destroying military property, reckless endangerment, and aggravated assault, according to a statement from Hill Air Force Base in Utah.

Dezwaan had been accused of making and setting off bombs at Green Village, Syria, where both U.S. troops and their allies from the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) operate. At the time of the incident, Dezwaan was an explosive ordnance disposal technician deployed to Syria with the 75th Air Base Wing.

But the prosecution’s theory about why Dezwaan allegedly took such extreme actions was a single Discord message that Dezwaan sent his wife, which he said he might try to come home sooner than scheduled by stubbing his toe, Cave said.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: US airman accused of insider attack in Syria cleared of all charges
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 11:41:02 PM »
I see he was cleared of all charges.  Is it safe to say, though, that his career is effectively over?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: US airman accused of insider attack in Syria cleared of all charges
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 12:05:21 AM »
The overriding #1 most important action after a military incident or accident is placement of blame. The lower on the chain of command as possible is the desired required outcome, regardless of actual fault.
In a just world this Airman would be made whole and returned to status as if none of this had ever happened. I doubt that will happen.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams