Author Topic: Your Glock + $500 = Glock Bullpup  (Read 803 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Your Glock + $500 = Glock Bullpup
« on: March 18, 2023, 01:36:46 PM »
Interesting Glock bullpup chassis. You supply the Glock.

https://youtu.be/Lo8K1S9HuKk
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Your Glock + $500 = Glock Bullpup
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 02:45:49 PM »
I saw that yesterday.  Interesting and priced right.  He mentioned the accuracy at 100 yards (don't know I put $) wasn't very good which gives me pause. 

Have any of you had experience with the MechTech conversions?
https://mechtechsys.com/cart#!/Stock-Adapter-CCU-with-Standard-Rail/p/141204640/category=35674064
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 06:51:36 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 03:28:44 PM »
I saw that yesterday.  Interesting and priced right.  He mentioned the accuracy at $100 wasn't very good which gives me pause. 

Yeah, I was thinking for the price that as he said, it would be a fun range gun. The only downside I saw was when he did the slow motion showing cases bouncing around in the housing. Sadly, as a lefty, I recognize that it is my people's fault. It appears the guard they use to keep brass from smacking you when shooting left side has to extend so far out that it causes the case problem. Though they had zero malfunctions during the test (other than that one round of ammo, which seemed like a Glock thing, not a housing thing).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 01:43:19 PM »
I would've bought one already, except my G22 is a 2nd-Gen and their website only has options for newer models. I'm not sure I'm down for buying another Glock just to use the carbine, but one in 10mm sure sounds cool.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 02:17:30 PM »
. . . Have any of you had experience with the MechTech conversions?
https://mechtechsys.com/cart#!/Stock-Adapter-CCU-with-Standard-Rail/p/141204640/category=35674064
Years ago a guy I used to shoot IDPA with had one for a 1911 .45 ACP. He said it worked well and he he took a small Hill Country whitetail with it. His only reservation was that part of the mechanism was exposed underneath and was potentially prone to debris getting in, though it hadn't actually happened to him yet. Don't know if that's still the case with current versions.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 02:19:55 PM »
I always really WANT to like bull pups, and then I shoot one and realize what a hot mess of ergonomics they are.

That's a neat setup, and I see they have one I could jam my P80 10mm frame in which might be interesting, but $500 is a lot for a range toy that I have to reload through my lymph nodes.  I'd rather put that cash in my "parts for dual tube NV device" envelope.

If it were the $300 a Micro Roni is, I might be more tempted, although I realize that 16" barrel ain't cheap.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 03:06:43 PM »
$500 buys nearly 2K 9mm.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 05:53:48 PM »
$500 buys nearly 2K 9mm.

Or a complete Kel Tec Sub2K
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 06:54:19 PM »
Interesting Glock bullpup chassis. You supply the Glock.

https://youtu.be/Lo8K1S9HuKk

What a flipping mess of a "rifle."

Let's take one of the world's most common and "shootable" pistols and turn it into a bulky, cumbersome mess of a rifle.

There are no benefits to be gained from this device.  This device is the transvestite of pistols; it pretends to be something it isn't.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2023, 07:46:35 PM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2023, 07:50:44 PM »
No, just No. And I'm a fan of bullpups.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2023, 09:23:53 PM »
The Kel-Tek Sub2000 is a very handy, compact, reliable, pistol caliber rifle, especially for <$500.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2023, 07:44:00 AM »
There's an old saying that "only accurate rifles are interesting."

The way the barrel flops around loosely I wouldn't expect tack driving accuracy, but this Glock Bullpup won't keep its shots on a man-size target at 100 yards - IMHO that's unacceptable. I've shot 9mm AR-pattern rifles at that distance, and even with iron sights, groups were appreciably smaller than a "man size" target. In fact, just the base Glock should keep its shots on a target that large at 100 yards.

I'll pass on this gimmicky gizmo.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2023, 09:24:52 AM »
He said $500 buys nearly 2K of 9mm.  You gave a link for 2K of 9mm for $490.

What are you trying to prove?
Just passing on the link.  One of the first I have seen for less than $250.   =)

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2023, 09:53:49 AM »
The Kel-Tek Sub2000 is a very handy, compact, reliable, pistol caliber rifle, especially for <$500.

With rebate they can be had for ~$350 right now. What they where a few years ago.

Just wish they had a GOOD way (note I said good way) of keeping optics (red dot) on them folded but it would require a complete redesign.
S&W went for folding sideways instead of over the top which largely solved that issue.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2023, 10:52:07 AM »
With rebate they can be had for ~$350 right now. What they where a few years ago.

Just wish they had a GOOD way (note I said good way) of keeping optics (red dot) on them folded but it would require a complete redesign.

Anymore, I don't have much experience with rifle.  Is an offset red dot mount an OK thing?  A quick check of Midway USA shows a lot of them out there, and from quality manufacturers.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 06:42:46 PM by lee n. field »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2023, 11:11:13 AM »
Anymore, I don't have much experience with rifle.  Is an offset red dot mount an OK thing?  A quick check of Midway USA shows a lot of them out there, and from quality manufacturers.

The rail part of the mount would have to be quite thin since when folded the rail is quite close to the tube. Some will work some won't.
Haven't tried it myself but have seen some posts of people saying the red dot tube will often bump into the S2K's tube during folding even with the offset mounts. YMMV.

There are a couple of folding red dot mounts out there made for the S2K, Midwest makes one, but have seen complains about them not holding zero well plus they require extra steps when opening or closing.

As far as the zero issue goes it largely could be because the rail on a S2K isn't the most stable thing in he world being on a somewhat loose fitting handguard
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 11:24:26 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2023, 11:23:33 AM »
The rail part of the mount would have to be quite thin since when folded the rail is quite close to the tube. Some will work some won't.
Haven't tried it myself but have seen some posts of people saying the red dot tube will often bump into the S2K's tube during folding even with the offset mounts. YMMV.

So, maybe an MLOK type thing that attaches to the side of the forend.

Still haven't had my sub2k out more than once.

There are a couple of folding red dot mounts out there made for the S2K, Midwest makes one, but have seen complains about them not holding zero well plus they require extra steps when opening or closing.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2023, 11:29:50 AM »
I think Mcarbo is the brand I remember.  I heard good things about it, but I never messed with one.  There are sight upgrades as well.

If the sub2000 price keeps coming down, I might consider getting another one (sold the 9mm I had).  However, I don't know if I would mess with a red dot.  It's purpose would just be something I could stash in a hard to locate storage location in my truck.  Or at least I would have the option of doing that.  My other 9mm carbines aren't quite as small.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2023, 11:45:17 AM »
It wouldn't be so much of an issue if the sights on the S2K weren't so crappy
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2023, 03:53:03 PM »
There are sight replacements for the sub2000, but I have never tried those. 

I was thinking the Beretta CX4 isn't far off from the S&W, but it doesn't fold.  Similar overall length shooting (30 to 35"), but those drop to less than 17" when folded. 

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2023, 12:55:51 AM »
This was done quite cheaply:

NOTE: I rotated the Red Dot to the Left so it clocked correctly when you canted the rifle to use it VS the "Iron" Sights.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2023, 08:35:54 AM »
If you are left eye dominant, just leave it right there.   =)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2023, 11:07:41 AM »
I have an offset Red dot on one of my GPR's, and I hate that thing.  I don't know how people go back and forth quickly.