Author Topic: The Trump Arrest Thread!  (Read 26575 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
Re: The Trump Arrest Thread!
« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2023, 11:08:44 AM »
My understanding is that Trump used campaign money to give to Stormy or used his own money but got reimbursed by his campaign.  Something like that.
I have heard that.  I have also heard the "crime" is very minor, they may not have actual evidence this happened, and evidence they do have says the lawyer paid it without directly billing Trump.  The other side of it I heard is that most everyone who might testify against Trump have been untrustworthy in past testimony. 

I guess we will see where this goes.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #152 on: April 03, 2023, 11:32:04 AM »
I have heard that.  I have also heard the "crime" is very minor, they may not have actual evidence this happened, and evidence they do have says the lawyer paid it without directly billing Trump.  The other side of it I heard is that most everyone who might testify against Trump have been untrustworthy in past testimony. 

I guess we will see where this goes.

What I have heard is the money should have been reported as a campaign contribution.  Or something like that, anyway.  It's some kind of mis-accounting or election campaign finance crime.
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #153 on: April 03, 2023, 11:43:51 AM »
I'm really hoping that they don't let him get Oswalded...

And... When does the mug shot come out? Better be grinning. I'd buy that on a T-Shirt...
Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2023, 04:53:50 PM »
Bill Clinton paid Paula Jones $850K for her silence in 1996.  However, he made the payment directly and not through his lawyer like President Trump.  I guess that makes what Clinton did okay somehow.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2023, 06:36:38 PM »
Bill Clinton paid Paula Jones $850K for her silence in 1996.  However, he made the payment directly and not through his lawyer like President Trump.  I guess that makes what Clinton did okay somehow.
Clinton reported the expenditure too, didn’t he?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2023, 06:51:00 PM »
And the MSM vilified Paula Jones at every opportunity.
Stormy D on the other hand is being portrayed as a victim 
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2023, 08:43:02 PM »
What I have heard is the money should have been reported as a campaign contribution.  Or something like that, anyway.  It's some kind of mis-accounting or election campaign finance crime.
But that is part of what I have heard.  They are having trouble proving he paid any money.  What I heard is that is why this case wasn't carried to trial previously.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2023, 09:21:08 PM »
But that is part of what I have heard.  They are having trouble proving he paid any money.  What I heard is that is why this case wasn't carried to trial previously.

That, and they're trying to prove her silence was a campaign donation.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #159 on: April 04, 2023, 09:07:03 AM »
Yahoo reports 34 FELONY counts.

An interesting point from the teevee: Unless someone from the DA's office leaked this to Yahoo, how did they get this information on a sealed case?

https://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-trump-to-be-charged-tuesday-with-34-felony-counts-but-spared-handcuffs-and-mug-shot-001241750.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2023, 09:14:03 AM »

An interesting point from the teevee: Unless someone from the DA's office leaked this to Yahoo, how did they get this information on a sealed case?

https://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-trump-to-be-charged-tuesday-with-34-felony-counts-but-spared-handcuffs-and-mug-shot-001241750.html

I’m amazed they aren’t perp walking him.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #161 on: April 04, 2023, 09:18:21 AM »
I’m amazed they aren’t perp walking him.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did perp walk him anyway.  Just out of pure spite from DA Bragg.  The man is holding a major grudge against Trump.  It's become personal for him.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #162 on: April 04, 2023, 09:20:06 AM »

Bragg is just trying to stack as many as he can in hopes at least one will stick. My guess it at least 90% will be dropped on the first procedural challenge.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #163 on: April 04, 2023, 10:08:49 AM »
I'd love to see the judge throw everything out at the arraignment and charge the prosecutor with judicial misconduct. I've been let down before, so no biggey if the judge capitulates.  [popcorn]

Woody :old:
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2023, 10:13:55 AM »
I'd love to see the judge throw everything out at the arraignment and charge the prosecutor with judicial misconduct. I've been let down before, so no biggey if the judge capitulates.  [popcorn]

Woody :old:

I would love to see the judge look up and say You're not Hillary Clinton! Where's Hillary Clinton? I was told Hillary Clinton would be here in front of me!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2023, 10:32:34 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if they did perp walk him anyway.  Just out of pure spite from DA Bragg.  The man is holding a major grudge against Trump.  It's become personal for him.
I heard the Secret Service nixed that idea. Likewise, they nixed handcuffs as well.

Haven't seen/read the indictment yet since it wasn't illegally leaked to me like it clearly was to some in the media, but at this point everything I've heard tells me there was no actual crime except in the fevered imagination of the prosecutor.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2023, 11:23:51 AM »
The leak is a felony. I'm sure it will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2023, 11:31:21 AM »

Unless he just wants to help Pres. Trump win the primary.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2023, 01:37:56 PM »
Yeah, it looks this is boosting Trump for the primary, unfortunately.   =(

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2023, 02:09:56 PM »
Some rather interesting people

REVEALED: The terrifying rap sheets of the ten worst NYC criminals who were released again and again by Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg as he focused on indicting Trump
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11937951/The-10-worst-NYC-criminals-let-woke-Manhattan-DA-Alvin-Bragg.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2023, 02:17:52 PM »
A friend made a good point during lunch conversation... Given the floodgate this opens based on the precedent it sets, don't be surprised if legislation is introduced requiring non-Congressional indictment proceedings of sitting or former POTUS/VPOTUS to be presented to SCOTUS first. The case for indictment only proceeds if SCOTUS determines it has merit.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2023, 02:18:06 PM »
No perp walk.  Watching on tv and only a glimpse of Trump getting out of the car.  No cameras in courthouse so won’t see much until Trump comes out of the place.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2023, 02:19:49 PM »
Looks like it's been getting a little tense between the protest groups in front of the Courthouse.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2023, 02:41:33 PM »
Looks like it's been getting a little tense between the protest groups in front of the Courthouse.

Speaking of, it's a bold, but maybe not bright move, especially during Holy Week, to compare Trump to Jesus.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2023/04/04/marjorie-taylor-greene-kicks-off-easter-early-by-comparing-trump-to-nelson-mandela-and-jesus/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2023, 02:48:56 PM »
Speaking of, it's a bold, but maybe not bright move, especially during Holy Week, to compare Trump to Jesus.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2023/04/04/marjorie-taylor-greene-kicks-off-easter-early-by-comparing-trump-to-nelson-mandela-and-jesus/

Bold but not particularly bright moves are pretty on brand for Rep. Greene.