Author Topic: The Trump Arrest Thread!  (Read 26542 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The Trump Arrest Thread!
« Reply #225 on: April 06, 2023, 11:42:48 AM »
Judge in Donald Trump Case Gets Dozens of Threats After Indictment
https://www.thedailybeast.com/judge-in-donald-trump-case-gets-dozens-of-threats-after-indictment

Of course, the "threats" weren't quoted or shown.  I am getting tired of that.

"Some people threatened me, so everyone who disagrees with me is bad."

https://thefederalist.com/2023/04/05/12-anti-trump-pundits-and-lawmakers-who-think-braggs-case-is-terrible/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #226 on: April 06, 2023, 11:57:38 AM »
The main argument against women’s suffrage was because they weren’t subject to the draft they didn’t earn the right to vote.

You may be right, I don't know... but most of the anti-suffragette arguments I read were that women were going to try and displace men's roles, and force men into women's roles.  And... they were right.   

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #227 on: April 06, 2023, 12:22:38 PM »
You may be right, I don't know... but most of the anti-suffragette arguments I read were that women were going to try and displace men's roles, and force men into women's roles.  And... they were right.   

Only the clean and high profile roles.  I still don't see many women picking up my garbage or running the truck that empties the port-o-cans. 

IMO, there is a still a separation, it is just choice.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #228 on: April 06, 2023, 12:56:37 PM »
Fox legal analyst Greg Jarret points out that Bragg's charges are facially defective.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/bragg-violated-trumps-6th-amendment-rights-refusing-disclose-underlying-crime-legal-expert

TL:DR version... In not naming the "other crimes" which elevated charges to felony level, Bragg violates the Sixth Amendment (the right to know what you're accused of). Motions to dismiss on this basis will carry lots of weight.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #229 on: April 06, 2023, 01:12:42 PM »
Fox legal analyst Greg Jarret points out that Bragg's charges are facially defective.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/bragg-violated-trumps-6th-amendment-rights-refusing-disclose-underlying-crime-legal-expert

TL:DR version... In not naming the "other crimes" which elevated charges to felony level, Bragg violates the Sixth Amendment (the right to know what you're accused of). Motions to dismiss on this basis will carry lots of weight.

Brad

You really think a Manhattan judge will dismiss the charges like that?  He won’t care if it gets reversed instantly on appeal.  There’s zero chance an elected judge in Manhattan will do anything to benefit Trump’s case.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #230 on: April 06, 2023, 02:58:44 PM »
You really think a Manhattan judge will dismiss the charges like that?  He won’t care if it gets reversed instantly on appeal.  There’s zero chance an elected judge in Manhattan will do anything to benefit Trump’s case.
Agreed, but Trump's lawyer still needs to make the motion even if it is quickly denied.  Then it is part of the record and can be appealed. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #231 on: April 06, 2023, 03:46:46 PM »
Trump Boasts No Felon Has Ever Had This Many Felony Counts
https://babylonbee.com/news/trump-boasts-no-felon-has-ever-had-this-many-felony-counts

WEST PALM BEACH, FL — Following a historic day when he was arraigned in New York on charges of 34 felony counts, President Donald Trump returned home to Mar-A-Lago and boasted that no other felon has ever been charged with this many felony counts in history.

"I am, without a doubt, the greatest felon ever charged," Trump said to a crowd of supporters gathered at his Florida home. "No other human being has received so many counts of so many felony charges, believe me. It's truly amazing, that's what people are saying. So many felony counts! So yuge!"

At publishing time, Trump was reportedly consulting with his inner circle to come up with a wide range of additional felonies he could commit to add to the list of charges, though D.A. Alvin Bragg would likely convert any violent offenses to misdemeanors.
:laugh:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #232 on: April 06, 2023, 03:49:40 PM »
Guy Getting Mugged In Manhattan Takes Solace In Fact Prosecutor Is Locking Up Trump
https://babylonbee.com/news/guy-getting-mugged-in-manhattan-takes-solace-in-fact-prosecutor-is-locking-up-trump

"It definitely gives me peace of mind to know that they're focusing on Trump," said Jim Hargrave after handing over his wallet, car keys, and watch to a masked mugger who pointed a gun in his face. "With them going so hard after Donald Trump on what seem to be really insignificant charges, it really keeps the citizens of this city safe. You know, from the threat of falsified business records."

At publishing time, Mr. Hargrave was unavailable for further comment due to being chased home by a screaming man waving a samurai sword.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #233 on: April 06, 2023, 03:52:34 PM »
NBC Debuts New Show 'Law & Order: Falsification Of Business Records Unit'
https://babylonbee.com/news/nbc-debuts-new-show-law--order-falsification-of-business-records-unit

"Why should we waste time with Law & Order shows that deal with minor stuff like murder, organized crime, sexual assault, and other totally insignificant cases when we can go after the big stories like inaccurate business bookkeeping?"

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #234 on: April 06, 2023, 04:05:38 PM »
Babylon Bee is on a roll today

NYC Murderer Finally Thrown In Prison After Falsifying Business Records
https://babylonbee.com/news/nyc-murderer-finally-arrested-on-charges-of-falsifying-business-records
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #235 on: April 06, 2023, 05:47:26 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #236 on: April 06, 2023, 06:48:51 PM »

"New York DA Asks For Trump To Be Frozen In Carbonite"   (also the Bee, behind a paywall)
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #237 on: April 06, 2023, 09:01:30 PM »

Almost seems like they've discovered a 3rd joke.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #238 on: April 06, 2023, 10:01:45 PM »

Brad

My impression is that Bragg seems to think each charge has the other 33 charges as the "other crimes."

I think that's what one of my high school math teachers called "circular logic."
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 10:39:30 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #239 on: April 07, 2023, 12:04:54 AM »
My impression is that Bragg's seems to think each charge has the other 33 charges as the "other crimes."

I think that's what one of my high school math teachers called "circular logic."

https://thefederalist.com/2023/04/05/12-anti-trump-pundits-and-lawmakers-who-think-braggs-case-is-terrible/

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #240 on: April 07, 2023, 12:13:21 AM »
I thought DAs like Bragg were failing to convict criminals because of ideology. The Trump indictment is making me wonder if Bragg just doesn't know how.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #241 on: April 07, 2023, 07:31:09 PM »
Speaking of, it's a bold, but maybe not bright move, especially during Holy Week, to compare Trump to Jesus.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2023/04/04/marjorie-taylor-greene-kicks-off-easter-early-by-comparing-trump-to-nelson-mandela-and-jesus/

Why not? Obama's people did it all the time.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #242 on: April 12, 2023, 12:21:19 PM »
Is Bragg playing 4D chess to get Trump the nomination to help Biden win reelection?
In essence, prior to being charged, Trump did not possess a comfortable lead. But, Bragg’s fiasco looks like it might have just secured the former president his party’s nomination before a single primary vote is cast. The ridiculousness of these theatricals, especially given their legal merit, indicates that there might be some insidious purpose at play.

If indeed this is the same out-of-the-box thinking that governed the Democrats’ strategy during the midterms, we could be witnessing a masterclass in subversive campaign strategizing.
I doubt that's his primary motivation but the overall game theory rings true.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #243 on: April 12, 2023, 12:30:46 PM »
Is Bragg playing 4D chess to get Trump the nomination to help Biden win reelection?I doubt that's his primary motivation but the overall game theory rings true.

The trick to that is that the Dems still need to find a likable candidate that can run a halfway competent campaign, or else they will get 2016 again.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #244 on: April 12, 2023, 12:51:15 PM »
The trick to that is that the Dems still need to find a likable candidate that can run a halfway competent campaign, or else they will get 2016 again.

They’ll just run the same game plan as 2020.  They’ll win even if Kamala is the candidate.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #245 on: April 12, 2023, 12:56:24 PM »
I think Bragg is just clueless, arrogant, and Trump-obsessed. That's the simplest explanation for what he did. Occam's razor and all that...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #246 on: April 12, 2023, 01:11:42 PM »
I think Bragg is just clueless, arrogant, and Trump-obsessed. That's the simplest explanation for what he did. Occam's razor and all that...

I'm inclined to agree.  It's just another case of TDS.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #247 on: April 12, 2023, 01:20:36 PM »
They’ll just run the same game plan as 2020.  They’ll win even if Kamala is the candidate.

Can't beat those ghost ballots.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #248 on: April 12, 2023, 01:22:06 PM »
Bragg's request for a TRO against Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) has been denied, the same day it was filed.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #249 on: April 12, 2023, 01:28:37 PM »
Can't beat those ghost ballots.

LOL, but tragifunny.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.