Author Topic: Corned beef in the crockpot.  (Read 3608 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Corned beef in the crockpot.
« on: March 19, 2023, 12:24:44 PM »
I actually bought it last year and never got around to making it. I noticed it in the freezer the other day and decided that I'd throw it in the crockpot and have some for dinner, and make corned beef sandwiches with it for lunch this coming week.

It's smelling amazing in here.

But, of course, I freaking forgot to get a can of sauerkraut to go on the sandwiches. Sigh.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Corned beef in the crockpot.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 09:07:54 AM »
Well that turned out pretty freaking excellent.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2023, 10:06:20 AM »
How long was it in the crockpot, low or high?

Could it be sliced thin enough for a Rueben sammich?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2023, 12:44:08 PM »
High, between 6 and 8 hours. I didn't pay as much attention to the time as I did the structure of the meat. When it was soft enough (the connective tissue had started to give up) it was time to eat.

And yes, easily sliced thin enough for sandwiches.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 08:03:11 AM »
That reminds me - I have some thinly-sliced corned beef in the deep freeze from a couple of briskets I made earlier this year - better take some out so I can make a Reuben for myself later today.
I don't use a crock pot myself, I cook corned beef by simmering it in a big stock pot for a couple of hours in water with garlic and other spices.

Corned beef - check
Dark rye - check
Bacon-enhanced sauerkraut - check
Mayo - check (prefer that to traditional Russian)
Havarti slices - check  (prefer that to traditional Swiss)
Dill pickle spears - check
Chips - check
Beer - check

I'm good to go.  =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2023, 03:19:40 PM »
That reminds me - I have some thinly-sliced corned beef in the deep freeze from a couple of briskets I made earlier this year - better take some out so I can make a Reuben for myself later today.
I don't use a crock pot myself, I cook corned beef by simmering it in a big stock pot for a couple of hours in water with garlic and other spices.

Corned beef - check
Dark rye - check
Bacon-enhanced sauerkraut - check
Mayo - check (prefer that to traditional Russian)
Havarti slices - check  (prefer that to traditional Swiss)
Dill pickle spears - check
Chips - check
Beer - check

I'm good to go.  =D
Please post address and time expected?
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 08:28:06 AM »
Please post address and time expected?

2622 16th Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20009

2:00 PM
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2023, 03:42:24 PM »
I love my crockpot.

But you know what also works REALLY well for corned beef?

A pressure cooker.

40-45 minutes and it's as if you simmered the damned thing all day.