Author Topic: Carter reelection sabotaged  (Read 527 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Carter reelection sabotaged
« on: March 19, 2023, 12:43:16 PM »
https://dnyuz.com/2023/03/18/a-four-decade-secret-the-untold-story-of-sabotaging-jimmy-carters-re-election/

Did anyone NOT know that this happened? I had it figured out in real time, and I wasn't even interested in politics back then.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Carter reelection sabotaged
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 12:47:11 PM »
I remember it being alleged at the time.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 01:59:27 PM »
The most significant line in the linked story?

"Confirming Mr. Barnes’s account is problematic after so much time."

Maybe it's true, maybe it's not - I dunno. But after reading the story, I'm moderately surprised he didn't claim the crash at Desert 1 was deliberately engineered as part of the plot to make Carter lose.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 10:40:31 AM »
If true (sounds reasonable) it is incredibly vile.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 11:09:25 AM »
The sabotaging of Carter's re-election began the day he won the nomination. He was a wishy-washy politician with no political clout outside of his home state. He was a lousy president but, probably the closest thing to a decent human being we have seen in the office in over a century, which is not a very high bar.
I was too young to vote during his time in office only turning 18 the Summer of 1980. I do remember how he was viewed in my home area.
At the time Oklahoma was still a (old school) Democrat state. Mr. Peanut was NOT popular with the farmers and ranchers I knew and associated with.
I also had some association with union members (American Airline employees) that hated him and became staunch Reagan supporters during his campaign.

The blame for the flusterlcuck that was the attempted rescue mission of course falls to him as Commander In Chief but the reasons and causes were largely in my opinion the fault of the brass at the Pentagon.  IIRC Carter wanted it to be a Navy operation but every branch just had to have a piece of the glory pie. The problems with inter-service communications and cooperation was a significant factor in the failure of the operation.

His domestic and foreign policies were also not popular and some parts of his legacy are still a problem to day, like the Department of energy.
He really didn't need outside help to insure his defeat, he was managing it pretty well on his own.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 11:13:21 AM »
His domestic and foreign policies were also not popular and some parts of his legacy are still a problem to day, like the Department of energy.

And the Department of Education.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 11:15:49 AM »
And the Department of Education.

And Billy Beer.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 11:17:33 AM »
And Billy Beer.

Got a few cans around here somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 11:35:15 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 11:59:40 AM »
Got a few cans around here somewhere.

We had some but it leaked.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 12:33:40 PM »
My gramma told me if I didn't have something good to say about someone, say nothing.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2023, 04:50:50 PM »
The best part of Carter’s administration was the legalization of home brewing.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 07:33:51 PM »
The best part of Carter’s administration was the legalization of home brewing.

Well, that, and the part where it ended.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2023, 07:40:22 PM »
I wasn't old enough to vote at the time and really didn't follow politics but even with a bunch of Dem's in the family, nobody had anything good to say about him.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG