Author Topic: No college degree required  (Read 347 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
No college degree required
« on: March 20, 2023, 09:49:04 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: No college degree required
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 10:16:07 AM »
I think (and I think it's a good thing) that we are fast getting to the point that "Your mom goes to college" is a mainstream insult.

Between jobs that simply don't require it that also provide good, and often higher pay, than many college degrees get you, and with universities creating "everyone is a winner" environments, There's a lot to be said for skipping the institution.

This comes from someone who did crappy jobs for ten years to get the money to go to uni and grad school. I don't know that I would do it now. The science program I went through now has as it's "core mission", "Equity, Diversity, Inclusivity, and Wellness" instead of science. Seeing the focus of some of the professors, and the research areas of their current doctoral candidates, I'm hard-pressed to find "science" in there anywhere.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 10:42:45 AM »
My son in law barely finished high school then went into the army.
He told me he made $500k last year running a warehouse and trucking logistics company. That’s twice what I made my best year with a postgraduate degree.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 11:43:24 AM »
I don't regret my undergrad, grad, professional, business degrees, and board certifications, since they were all required for what I wanted to do at the time and I am sure that I learned valuable life lessons working and paying my own way through school.  But I do sometimes ponder the value of that education in setting me up to perform my job vs. getting the entry ticket in order to do my job.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 11:55:30 AM »
Both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were college drop outs
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 05:34:06 AM »
I don't regret my undergrad, grad, professional, business degrees, and board certifications, since they were all required for what I wanted to do at the time and I am sure that I learned valuable life lessons working and paying my own way through school.  But I do sometimes ponder the value of that education in setting me up to perform my job vs. getting the entry ticket in order to do my job.

Ditto.  But don't forget the dating and partying experiences. Talk about life lessons. I know that's part of your post.  Just emphazising it since I went to an all-boys high school. :rofl:

Terry, 230RN