Author Topic: knife sharpening  (Read 929 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
knife sharpening
« on: March 20, 2023, 12:06:19 PM »
So, I bought a few sharp pointy damascus things from Mad Mike... And while they were pointy, they're not all that sharp. But they're still pretty... 1075 steel, folded with nickel...

I hate using whetstones (takes patience, takes time, squirrel!), and I'm a bit of a tool whore... So I picked up a $50 1x30 bench sander at my local China Fright, and ordered a pack of decent belts, including a leather stropping belt, and we're gonna see how this goes... I like one of the little knives I got from him for every day use at work (tends to not be pretty sometimes...), and the 1075 steel should survive that where D2 or other steels would crack or chip... I also have a bunch of other knives that need work... Funny, but the Chicago Cutlery knives that I picked up at Wally World cut MUCH nicer than the Calphalon set...
Blog under construction

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: knife sharpening
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 12:09:39 PM »
I've tried a few other sharpening systems, but I keep going back to my lansky.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 12:45:51 PM »

Yep. Lanskey gives me the best edges I've ever been able to set on a knife.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 01:00:05 PM »
Big Worksharp fan here. I still use stones occasionally just to keep the skillset up, but the Worksharp is just so much faster that it's my go-to.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 01:03:36 PM »
Ken Onion edition Worksharp for the bigger blades, Lansky type for smaller blades.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 01:05:32 PM »
Been using a Lansky for 30+ years.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 03:14:29 PM »
I have several good stones and have always used stones since my grandpa taught me to sharpen his chisels and planer blades 60 years ago.
But I have considered buying one of the 2x72 belt sanders, mainly for axes and mower blades but also want to do a couple stock removal knives.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 03:49:00 PM »
My Dad has one of the Worksharp belt sharpeners.  I need to bring a few knives with me and use it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 04:07:34 PM »
Ken Onion edition Worksharp for the bigger blades, Lansky type for smaller blades.

Ken Onion edition Worksharp here, too.  Works best for me.  I'm hopeless with stones.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 04:38:48 PM »
King water stones is my go-to.  But my FIL just gave us (among a lot of stuff, mostly crap) a grinder that includes a polishing wheel.  A very fine grit polishing compound would put a very sharp edge on an already well sharpened blade.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2023, 06:45:30 PM »
Flat bastard, mill file, medium Arkansas, fine arkansas, yellowstone on the back old 1.5" filson belt.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 08:23:36 PM by Tuco »
7-11 was a part time job.

griz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 07:36:51 PM »
I've used the same HF 1X30 for a while now.  The biggest thing is finding belts that are fine enough.  Can't find anything finer than 180 locally, I've mail ordered everything.  600 is about the coarsest I use for sharpening, and only for blades that are really dull.  Most of the time I start with a 1000 grit belt that feels like cloth and finish up with the leather belt to strop it. 
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2023, 09:24:13 AM »

X2
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2023, 09:29:32 AM »
Funny, but the Chicago Cutlery knives that I picked up at Wally World cut MUCH nicer than the Calphalon set...

I have a set of forged Chicago Cutlery knives I bought over 20 years ago, I remember paying $60 for a set of 3 knives then a few more additional knives at $20-50 each. I would actually compare my set against Wusthof or Henckles as either equal or maybe a little nicer.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2023, 09:39:28 AM »
Speaking of Worksharp, I don't know how new it is, but I just stumbled upon this Worksharp Precision, which is a manual sharpener. This actually looks pretty neat at half the price of my Ken Onion.

One of the toughest things for me with the band sharpener (as well as stones) is trying to keep an even angle along the full length of the blade. It looks like that would be easy with this one (refer to the video).

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-Precision-Adjust-Sharpener/dp/B08L72P245
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 09:41:54 AM »
Speaking of Worksharp, I don't know how new it is, but I just stumbled upon this Worksharp Precision, which is a manual sharpener. This actually looks pretty neat at half the price of my Ken Onion.

One of the toughest things for me with the band sharpener (as well as stones) is trying to keep an even angle along the full length of the blade. It looks like that would be easy with this one (refer to the video).

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-Precision-Adjust-Sharpener/dp/B08L72P245

Lansky beat them to the party years ago.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 09:50:24 AM »
Lansky beat them to the party years ago.

When thinking "Lansky" I always thought of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-2D2C-Diamond-Ceramic-Four/dp/B008EKY5OA

However, reading the one star reviews on both the Worksharp Precision and the Lansky version, neither of them in practice seem to be as good as they are in concept.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2023, 09:59:05 AM »
The Lansky sharpener I tried was maybe one step up from freehand sharpening on a tiny, single-grit whetstone.  The idea is fine, but it has small and cheap stones, coarse angle adjustment (which means you'll probably need to reprofile most of your blades - good luck with the stones that are included), and limited sizes/shapes of blades they can effectively sharpen.

If I want to take my time to get a hair-popping blade I'll use my KME.  If I just want to get the blades usable again I'll use my Ken Onion Worksharp.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2023, 12:24:15 PM »
I've only had a few minutes to play with it, but the one that I picked for EDC is already much better.
Blog under construction

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2023, 12:30:16 PM »
This is the Lansky system I have. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Deluxe-5-Stone-Sharpening-System/dp/B000B8IEA4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1ZIM18MM5R9JA&keywords=lansky+sharpening+system&qid=1679412012&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=lanskey%2Csporting%2C173&sr=1-3

I have the same thing, an old guy gave me a base for the T dealio, its a piece of all thread with nuts in a wooden block that holds the knife holder/angle gauge. Easy peasy to sharpen at the table that way.

Uranus is a gas giant.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2023, 06:42:30 PM »
"an old guy gave me a base for the T dealio"

I need to get a base. It's getting harder and harder for me to really sharpen my knives adequately with the arthritis creeping up in my hands...

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2023, 05:04:19 PM »
For most of the last 40 years, I have used a 2" x 6" double grit "block".
About 15 years ago, I bought a 3-stone set-up on a wood base.  The coarse stone is (IIRC) an aluminum oxide with soft and hard Arkansas stones.  Most of the knives I have to sharpen are multi-blade pocket knives, single blade folders, and assorted kitchen cutlery.  The pocket knives I can get sharp enough to shave the hair off of my arm.
When I have to do my ax, hatchet, or machete, I clamp them in my vise and use the double grit stone on them.  They don't need to be much sharper than that as it can allow too much damage to the edge.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2023, 05:16:05 PM »
This is the Lansky system I have. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Deluxe-5-Stone-Sharpening-System/dp/B000B8IEA4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1ZIM18MM5R9JA&keywords=lansky+sharpening+system&qid=1679412012&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=lanskey%2Csporting%2C173&sr=1-3
Same here. Easy to get my knives "shaving sharp" . . . and after a sharpening session, I've got the bald spots on my forearm to prove it.  ;)

The only downside is that the stones ARE small - and after I do a couple of knives, I start to get cricks in my finger joints and have to quit for a while.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain