Author Topic: knife sharpening  (Read 926 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: knife sharpening
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2023, 08:53:01 PM »
Okay - been playing with this thing...

https://youtu.be/IjZWfEzJjA4

Using 220, 600, and 1000 grit so far, and tomorrow I'll probably do some stropping with the leather belt.

My cold steel Pendleton Hunter had some nicks in the blade, and that is now fixed, and it is damn near shaving sharp again. The little fixed blade that I've been EDCing is much better.

The Calphalon butcher knife I tried to mess with doesn't seem to want to take an edge. I wonder what Chinese bumpers they used for that steel. Some Chicago Cutlery knives I picked up at Wally World were sharper out of the box, and have retained the edge nicely. Same for a set of cheapo "Farberware."
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2023, 09:47:37 PM »
I suck at sharpening knives.  But I have some kitchen knives that I bought 40 years ago and use all the time that are still sharp; I just use a steel on them to hone the edge occasionally and that does it.
"It's good, though..."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2023, 10:04:13 PM »
I have a lansky and a sharpmaker. They both work great but my problem is they are too slow especially for abused blades. That manual Worksharp unit looks like a much better version of the lansky. But I just bought a ken onion motorized Worksharp and I will let you know what I think.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2023, 01:44:19 PM »
I've got one of the Lansky 5 piece sets, and a Ken Onion Worksharp, plus some waterstones for the chisels.

Each has its place, the waterstones really are just for the chisels, so we'll ignore those.

The Lansky is nice because it puts a flat bevel on the blade, however the angle guide (and the Worksharp Precision will suffer from this as well) is problematic because while it may be a 15 degree angle at the closest point to the clamp holding the blade, as you move further away down the blade the angle will get shallower.  I've not taken the time to measure/calculate the difference, but on a large butcher's knife, for example, the difference in angle could be quite significant.

The Ken Onion worksharp is great in that it is fast, accurate, and really does get blades scary sharp.  However, it can be tricky to keep a consistent angle throughout the length of the blade especially on longer blades, and most importantly, it can only produce a convex grind.   That's good for utilitarian knives, but sometimes you want a different edge geometry.  And you really can't get that with the Worksharp.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2023, 02:05:03 PM »
The Ken Onion thing is basically just a belt sander with a blade angle guide?
Blog under construction

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2023, 02:09:35 PM »
The Ken Onion thing is basically just a belt sander with a blade angle guide?

Pretty much. Has variable speed "trigger" control and adjustable angle guides.  Replacement belts are readily available and fairly inexpensive.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2023, 06:18:22 PM »
And... This looks interesting. He's turned the sucker sideways... Looks like an easy rig - gonna do that this week. And I can build an angle guide to use with that...

https://youtu.be/iFt19NJO2MA?t=303
Blog under construction

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2023, 01:29:13 PM »
Well this doohicky eliminates my biggest issue with the Worksharp Ken Onion - https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSSAKO81112-Grinder-Attachment/dp/B00J9AADN6/

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

zahc

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2023, 12:56:21 AM »
What does it actually do? I just bought a Worksharp but I don't know what problem that thing solves.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2023, 01:33:23 AM »
Not really solving a problem, it just gives added/different capability.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2023, 07:34:50 AM »
"but I don't know what problem that thing solves."

It solves worksharp's cash flow issues by transferring your money to them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2023, 03:46:37 PM »
Yeah, the more I looked at the "add on" the more I realized that it didn't work quite like how I thought it did.   still gives a convex grind, I thought the flat platen on the front of it was for doing precise angled flat grinds, but I was wrong.   

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2023, 07:31:38 PM »
Most belt sharpening seems to lend itself to a convex... You can set the a platen under the belt on the China Fright belt sander, and with the addition of an angle guide, you'll approximate flat.
Blog under construction