Author Topic: Study on "Mass Shooter Gun Buying Patterns"  (Read 410 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Study on "Mass Shooter Gun Buying Patterns"
« on: March 21, 2023, 01:11:58 PM »
I look at this study, and I think if they used their current criteria, other than being flagged on NICS checks, they could put a whole bunch of us here into the "future mass shooter" category when they start going Minority Report.

Also, why is a supposedly hard sciences publication running this story?

https://phys.org/news/2023-03-mass-shooters-distinct-patterns-buying.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Study on "Mass Shooter Gun Buying Patterns"
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 01:25:08 PM »
Some buying patterns suggest pre-attack planning and a desire to have a firearm purchase record that was harder to trace. Analyses of individuals from California who perpetrated a mass or active shooting between 1985 and 2018 found that firearms acquired closer to the date of the attack were more likely to be:

long guns
    used during the attack
    purchased out-of-state

So basically anyone who buys a gun is potentially planning a mass shooting. Got it

were more likely to have a history of purchase denials

Hmmm
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 06:39:10 PM »
So basically anyone who buys a gun is potentially planning a mass shooting. Got it

Hmmm

Didn't someone determine several years ago that all biological males are [potential] rapists, based purely on the fact that they have a [bleep]?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 06:44:42 PM »
Didn't someone determine several years ago that all biological males are [potential] rapists, based purely on the fact that they have a [bleep]?

Well they are trying to ban men too.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 08:57:47 AM »
What about "women" who have a [bleep]?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 11:50:22 AM »
MMA fighter-turned-security guard 'averted another Pulse mass shooting' by disarming man in devil mask as he tried to storm strip club, say Tampa cops
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11889985/Moment-gunman-Devil-mask-tries-storm-Tamp-strip-club-stopped-former-MMA-fighter.html

Saw link when looking at the article from the Amazon link.  Maybe add this one to the statistical list. 

Sounds like they don't know why he was heading into the club holding a pistol, but I am sure it wasn't just to get a beer.  Glad the bouncer stopped him. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 03:32:38 PM »
Thinking about that event, I wonder if the statistics these people are pulling together will include events like this one where the person was stopped without anyone getting injured. 

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 04:17:30 PM »
Analyses of individuals from California who perpetrated a mass or active shooting between 1985 and 2018 found that firearms acquired closer to the date of the attack were more likely to be:

long guns
    used during the attack
    purchased out-of-state
    acquired in an unauthorized manner, even among some mass and active shooters who were not prohibited from buying guns at the time of purchase

This is because a California compliant AR-15 is a neutered shell of what an actual AR-15 should be like.  No pistol grip, effectively no detachable magazine, and an artificial magazine limit make it a no-brainer for any Californian, potential mass-shooter or not, to cross into Nevada or Arizona to purchase a proper AR-15.  Being a long gun, interstate purchases are legal from an FFL.  I honestly wonder how many CA-compliant AR-15's actually sell.  They suck something awful.  I've got to wonder how many "felon" CA gun owners there are that have bought AR's and brought them back home to CA (i.e. "acquired in an unauthorized manner").  I think "hundreds of thousands" is not an unreasonable assumption. 

I question if ANY California compliant AR-15 has ever been used in a homicide anywhere.  Even a justifiable one.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 09:17:58 PM »
I kinda hope they run my credit card purchases through their algorithm.  Among other things I bought, and shot, enough 5.56 in the last 18 months that I wore out the bolt and cam pin on my 10.5 AR.  The pin is out of round.

Not to mention the body armor purchases.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 10:32:11 PM »
I kinda hope they run my credit card purchases through their algorithm.  Among other things I bought, and shot, enough 5.56 in the last 18 months that I wore out the bolt and cam pin on my 10.5 AR.  The pin is out of round.

Not to mention the body armor purchases.

Just how much ammo did you shoot?

My 11.5" SBR has several thousands of rounds through it with no serious wear.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023, 08:07:38 AM »
Just how much ammo did you shoot?

My 11.5" SBR has several thousands of rounds through it with no serious wear.

It took about 11k, most of which was suppressed so it was pretty over gassed.

I don't track round counts obsessively any more but according to my credit card bills I've gone through 15 cases of 5.56 since Sep of 2020 when I started at the new range, but the first year was pretty slow.  I ramped up significantly in 21. This rifle has been my main squeeze for most of that.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 08:48:38 AM »
Thinking about that event, I wonder if the statistics these people are pulling together will include events like this one where the person was stopped without anyone getting injured. 

Of course not.  You think the thousands of "Armed Citizen" reports get wide discussion?

If a crime is prevented.... oh. something, something... man bites dog...

Sample (one of many links)::
https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen.aspx

I repeat:  The Fix is in.

Terry, 230RN

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023, 11:34:10 AM »
It took about 11k, most of which was suppressed so it was pretty over gassed.

I don't track round counts obsessively any more but according to my credit card bills I've gone through 15 cases of 5.56 since Sep of 2020 when I started at the new range, but the first year was pretty slow.  I ramped up significantly in 21. This rifle has been my main squeeze for most of that.

Makes sense.  Close to 10k rounds with a can on really beats up the short barrel rifles.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?