Author Topic: Belly Band Holster, anyone use them?  (Read 469 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Belly Band Holster, anyone use them?
« on: March 28, 2023, 05:12:20 PM »
With the nice weather arriving soon, or at least that is what I have been led to believe, SWMBO has decreed a walking program is in our future. Attire will be loose tank top and cloth gym type shorts. I do not want to go unarmed so I am looking toward a belly band type holster. Ideally I would be carrying either a full size 1911 or a Springfield XDm with a 5.25" barrel. Yea, those are big guns and if they don't work then I will drop back to a S&W Shield 2.0 in 9mm (single stack).

So does anyone have experience with one you would recommend?

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Belly Band Holster, anyone use them?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 05:15:46 PM »
Not exactly a belly band, and I have zero experience with them, but these Phlstr Enigmas pop up all over the youtubz. Even my LGS is carrying them:

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/phlster-enigma/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 05:17:01 PM »
I tried one a long time ago. Quickly discovered they are more suited to slender or athletic builds. They're also hot. I'm fat and sweaty, so...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 05:58:48 PM »
I use them on occasion. A quick, easy and very concealable way to carry a lightweight handgun.  I have two: one holds my Ruger .38 LCR and the other holds my Kahr CW9.  They fit well under a polo or rugby shirt.

Edited to add: This is what I bought off Amazon   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DEGYTC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 06:33:42 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 06:05:59 PM »
I tried one a long time ago. Quickly discovered they are more suited to slender or athletic builds. They're also hot. I'm fat and sweaty, so...

Brad

Yes, there is that, therefore the walking. :)

bob

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 06:10:08 PM »
With the clothing and guns you describe, belly band or thunderwear are about the only options.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 08:48:48 PM »
Are the gym shorts non-negotiable?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 08:53:38 PM »
I use one for jogging. Just your basic Amazon belly band. It works, but it ain't great. Hot sweaty and smelly are it's main attribute.

I carry one of my single stack micro 9s, either a PPS or p80 version of a G43.  Anything much bigger/heavier than that causes it to sag or flop around.  I can't imagine putting a full size pistol in it and doing anything other than stand very still.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 09:49:44 PM »
I use one for jogging. Just your basic Amazon belly band. It works, but it ain't great. Hot sweaty and smelly are it's main attribute.

I carry one of my single stack micro 9s, either a PPS or p80 version of a G43.  Anything much bigger/heavier than that causes it to sag or flop around.  I can't imagine putting a full size pistol in it and doing anything other than stand very still.

After a lot of looking around it is beginning to look like the M&P 9 will be living there. Not a lot for full size and the ones that are there don't impress me.

bob

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 01:36:39 PM »
Forget the belly band. What you want are ankle holsters, to let you carry a duty-sized pistol on each leg. #legdayeveryday
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 01:53:51 PM »
Forget the belly band. What you want are ankle holsters, to let you carry a duty-sized pistol on each leg. #legdayeveryday

I was thinking a double shoulder holster rig for a couple of 1911s. It's an open carry state so it will be fine, and will help keep the riff-raff (and neighbors) at bay.  :)

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2023, 02:51:35 PM »
I used one briefly years ago with a Kahr P9.  It was okay for normal moving around.  I don't think I ever tried it exercising.  It was slide down easily and didn't seem all that secure to me. 

The one I had would not work with a heavier firearm.  Maybe newer ones would be better.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 04:08:01 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 06:08:51 PM »

Brad

I also tried one maybe 8-10 years ago while jogging.  Anything heavier than a Keltec PF-9 or Springfield XDS would make it finicky.  Didn't care for it, ditched it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!