Author Topic: EDC in the WSJ  (Read 1222 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
EDC in the WSJ
« on: March 25, 2023, 09:26:13 AM »
The Wall Street Journal published an article on EDC: every day carry at https://www.wsj.com/articles/edc-everyday-carry-reddit-pocket-essentials-8f87d3bd  The article was based on the Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/EDC/

So this made me ponder my EDC. Pretty much any day when I am leaving the house, I have the following in my pocket:

On my split ring keychain

House and car keys

Orange safety whistle
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PG71J1B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

True Utility compact pen
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007IOHPKY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keychain flashlight
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09158251S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pill container for hearing aid batteries
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085ZZ9M6Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In a pocket

Camo bandanna
https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Bandanas-Camouflage-Military-Headwraps/dp/B0BW17J9XH/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3C155T7QNZFYY&keywords=camo%2Bhandkerchief%2Bfor%2Bmen&qid=1679750217&sprefix=camo%2Bhank%2Caps%2C136&sr=8-3&th=1

Leatherman Surge Ti
https://www.amazon.com/LEATHERMAN-Titanium-Multitool-Replaceable-Stainless/dp/B079MJHYKC/ref=sr_1_5?crid=KDMNNVH9J4W1&keywords=leatherman+surge+ti&qid=1679750306&sprefix=leatherman+surge+ti%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-5

Calti front pocket wallet

https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Titanium-Minimalist-Slim-Wallet/dp/B07BJMB54J/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2087Y8DNU9HHD&keywords=calti+wallet&qid=1679751420&sprefix=calti+wallet%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-1

Cell phone and firearm on my body somewhere.

I was a Boy Scout and I take the 'be prepared' seriously.  It annoys me no end when people need a tool, or pen, or a flashlight and they are helpless to deal with the situation.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: EDC in the WSJ
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 10:18:40 AM »
You crazy kids and your paywalls....
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 10:37:30 AM »
Paywall.

Anyways:

Right front, gun in pocket holster.  Usually a .38 snub.

Right rear, Swiss Army Knife (accept no substitutes!).  A couple speedloaders or speed strips.  If the gun in the pocket is an automatic, I'll probably have an extra magazine in a Magholder carrier on the belt, front and center, instead of the speedloaders.

Left rear, random change and possibly handkerchief

Left front, wallet and keys.

Work doesn't like cargo pants, or this would be arrayed somewhat differently.

Around the neck is a lanyard with a usb stick, with 30GB of stuff I keep for work.

There's a bunch of crap in a backpack close by.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 11:18:48 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 10:47:54 AM »
Perusing the Reddit thread, I see a lot of tactical-ish folders.  I always wonder when folks put up that sort of picture, how much they actually use those, and how much it's a fashion statement.  My Deluxe Tinker SAK gets used, a lot, daily.

--------------------------------
From the thread, someone not taking it seriously.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 10:59:33 AM »
At work I carry a four inch fixed blade custom knife on my belt, a Rotring 600 pen, a flashlight, and a 5” pair of Knipex Cobra pliers (think Channelocks but a thousand times better) and a set of Mac pocket prybars plus keys and Ridge clone wallet. My uniform is a button up Dickies type shirt with pockets that makes it easy to carry this stuff. I don’t like too much stuff.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 11:15:47 AM »
Currently I have my farm clothes EDC and my clean "going to town clothes EDC", which are pretty similar.

Farm:

Gunbelt with OWB holster and plain jane Glock 45 (I replaced the sights).
Left front jeans: SOG TAC-AU auto folder and surefire sidekick (but I'm always playing around with different lights).
Phone is usually in some pocket or another, depending on weather and stuff.

Goin' to town:

Gunbelt with either a Shadow Systems XR920 or a P365XL, IWB and pointed at my wiener. I flip flop on carrying extra mags.
SOG TAC-AU auto folder and a flashlight in the left front of the Vertx Defiance jeans*.
Phone in the back pocket.
Minimalist wallet in the right front pocket.

I used to carry some form of multitool or another, but these days, if I'm on the farm, I always have the right tool for the job handy, and when I'm in town, I never have the need for one. If I did, the get home ruck in the vehicle has whatever I might need.

Also, I'm almost always in boots. I don't care if it looks tacticool or not, but I always wore tac boots in the field at work and found them super comfortable and practical, so still wear them today. Other than when it's hot enough for shorts, I'll wear trail runners. I used to wear flip flops a lot in Santa Barbara, but now rarely wear them other than the patio. I don't want to face the zombie apocalypse in flip flops.  :laugh:

*Currently the best EDC jeans I have found for me, with pockets and beltloops well-placed for EDC. I don't need all the hidden handcuff pockets, but everything else, including comfort, is top notch. Though I saw that a half a year ago they were listed as "discontinued" (and I bought five pairs to store), but now they are listed as available again, so I don't know if they changed anything. My experience is with the originals.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 12:20:36 PM »
My every day carry.

Either a Taurus PT-22 or a Smith & Wesson 042.

And, starting just a few days ago, a mini flashlight on my key chain.

That's all.

I don't even carry a knife, although I do have a folder clipped to the visor in my car.

I know, I know, I'm already dead because I don't EDC a Level 3 Trauma Center, a Level 4 Biohazard Lab, and a Hobart Tactical Deep Fat Fryer...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 12:50:27 PM »
I don't even carry a knife
Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2023, 01:14:57 PM »
I guess it depends on the environment you live in, but I don't go without a cutting implement in mine. I literally cannot remember the last day that went by where I didn't use a knife at least once, but usually multiple times. That's before I lived on a farm as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2023, 02:05:17 PM »
Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin.

Would someone call 911, please? Looks like someone is having a stroke, and I left my Level 3 Trauma Center at home on my dresser.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2023, 02:26:50 PM »
Would someone call 911, please? Looks like someone is having a stroke, and I left my Level 3 Trauma Center at home on my dresser.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2023, 02:46:12 PM »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2023, 04:11:55 PM »
I don't carry much crap in my pockets, as my truck is a rolling FOB, and and pretty rarely very far from me, Unless I am out hiking, and then I have a pack for my "Be Prepared" gear.

Wallet, Phone, gun, knife, keys is just about it for the pockets.  I am thinking about getting a little trauma first aid kit that an instructor at a class had, but it would mean putting *expletive deleted*it in my back pockets again, and my lower back appreciates them staying empty.  The knife is any one of five or six interchangeable 3-ish inch folders I have, and the gun is a G19 or a P365XL depending on weather, dress, and my mood.     

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2023, 04:55:07 PM »

That's two stokes, and some apostasy thrown in for good measure.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2023, 05:33:34 PM »
Currently: Wallet, phone, keys, keychain flashlight, Victorinox Manager (also on the keychain), and a full sized pocket knife, which is generally a rotation of various 3-4" pocket knives, depending on what I expect to be doing for the day.

Knife in the picture is the Hogue Dekka in CPM 20CV, which is currently getting the most pocket time.

I'm thinking about replacing the Manager with a Victorinox Compact or a Tinker (already own both) so as to cut down on the amount of crap on my keychain, especially with t-shirt weather on the way. I'm also eyeing the Outrider, but haven't acquired that one yet.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2023, 08:31:44 PM »
One thing I ALWAYS carry with me, no matter what?

Poop bags for Seren.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2023, 08:36:18 PM »
One thing I ALWAYS carry with me, no matter what?

Poop bags for Seren.

Some guys carry a poop bag for themselves. That's some serious EDC.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2023, 08:46:32 PM »
Going to work:

Keys in left front pocket, flashlight & pocket knife in right front, notebook in left rear, wallet in right rear, phone on belt above left rear & multi-tool above right rear pocket.  Carry a ton of *expletive deleted*it in both pockets of the (required) vest.  S&W 642 in right front.

Going to town:

Keys in left front pocket, flashlight & pocket knife in right front, wallet in right rear, phone on belt above left rear. S&W 642 in right front

Working at home:

Pocket knife in right front, multi-tool above right rear pocket, either K-bar or 7" Buck behind right front pocket.  Various firearms and/or long blades available in different work areas.

Poop bags are kept in the car & truck, not in my pockets.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2023, 09:18:40 PM »
At work, I -always- have a 10mm and 8mm ratchet wrench in the shirt pocket, along with a straight and phillips screwdriver. Saves steps.

I haz a toolbox too. My tools. Knife is currently a little fixed blade skinner. I don't use my pockets a lot at work.
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2023, 11:03:01 PM »
Until I finally implement my transition to pocket carry, my EDC is on this wise:

I wear a gun in the waistband.

I keep a locking folder and a scout(ish) knife in my right front pocket, and sometimes a tube of lip balm. The Skinth knife case I use has a back pocket that holds a flat, metal body key for my F-150. That's helped me out many times since I got the truck, just last year.

I keep my keys in my left front pocket, and one of these, because it's the best EDC flashlight I've found, so far. Went through the washing machine, and the only damage was to the paint job.

I keep a handkerchief in my left back pocket. Started out as a summertime necessity, but I now carry them year-round.

I keep my wallet in the usual, back-right pocket, like most other right-handed blokes. I use a bi-fold, leather wallet; not those minimalist things the EDC junkies are so into. When I did facilities maintenance, I started keeping a paper-clip in my wallet. They can be handy.

I started keeping a spare magazine in the top of my right boot about five years ago. Last year, I started buying Carhartt B151 pants, that have a magazine-sized pocket on the left leg. That's probably better. The downsides are that it takes a little effort to get the mag out; and sooner or later, that mag is going to take a trip through Mr Maytag.

The B151, like every pant I own, has a "tech pocket" on the right leg.

During the cooler months of the year, I still wear the same Timex I've been wearing for the past 20-some years. Wrist gets too sweaty, in warm weather.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 02:22:54 PM by Perd Hapley »

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2023, 05:05:30 AM »
Left shirt pocket extra glasses (carry closeup and distance pairs)

Left front pants 5-rd speedloader, dedicated toothpick device, change, tangled-up rosary, chapstick, small folder, a tissue.

Right front pants kept clean of lint, abrasives, 5 rd hammerless J-frame only.  No holster.

Left rear pants nothing

Right rear pants occasionally only, and for short periods, my wallet.  I found out a long time ago that sitting on that thing for any length of time gave me excruciating sciatic pains.  ER-quality pain and I thought I heard them discussing the use of snake venom for it but my mind was getting bleary from the agony.  Wallet goes in coat pocket or inside shirt if necessary.

Belt keys on big rings, chained to wallet, great little key chain flashlight, keys for "hillary holes*" in two of my revolvers, re-mailing "if found drop in any mailbox" postage guaranteed ID tag, and I used to have a tiny pair of pliers with phillips head driver on one handle and straight screwdriver on other handle, but it got lost somewhere.

Man purse goes with me but usually, like a dog, stays in the car when I park it. Small first aid kit, checkbook, camera, cellphone (always off),  asthma spray (never used, probably out of date by now), small notebook, pen, magnifying glass, another 5-round speedloader.

Left shoe contains my left foot and a sock, same scheme in my right shoe.  Bladder usually empty.

Terry, 230RN

*Personally preferred term.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2023, 06:35:45 AM »
Left Shirt Pocket: Android Phone attached to a lanyard around my neck.

ALL other Pockets: Empty.

Messenger Bag: EVERYTHING (but I DO need to add a tourniquet)
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2023, 07:06:27 AM »
I see a LOT of urban guys carrying murses. Which are usually big enough for a full-size handgun.

I'm not referring to my neighbors. I'm talking about the guys who cruise down south from the north side.

Some of 'em go for messenger bags big enough for an AR pistol.
Blog under construction

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2023, 08:16:35 AM »
Tourniquet.  Thanks, HeroHog, good idea, never thought about it. Made me think maybe the strap on my man purse would work, but realized rigging it as a tourniquet would be a time--wasting project in an emergency.  Have to figure out what I can still fit in the bag

Looks roomier than it is 'cause the camera was removed.  Scaling: the tag on the zipper is 4" long:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2023, 09:12:28 AM »
Tourniquet.  Thanks, HeroHog, good idea, never thought about it. Made me think maybe the strap on my man purse would work, but realized rigging it as a tourniquet would be a time--wasting project in an emergency.  Have to figure out what I can still fit in the bag

Looks roomier than it is 'cause the camera was removed.  Scaling: the tag on the zipper is 4" long:

The absolutely last thing you want to do is use something "field expedient" like a bag strap or belt as a tourniquet. That's one of the reasons tourniquets were so frowned upon for so many years.

Twenty years of GWOT was a laboratory that showed that a proper tourniquet, with proper training, is a primary lifesaving device. A "stop the bleed" kit is a higher priority than a trauma kit, IMO.

If you're gonna use a tourniquet, spend the $30 on a real, made in the USA tourniquet. Either a Gen 7 CAT or an SOF Tactical Tourniquet. Then spend four hours in a hands-on class that will teach you how to use it. As well as how to stop the bleed on body areas where a tourniquet cannot be used.

https://www.stopthebleed.org/