Author Topic: EDC in the WSJ  (Read 1223 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: EDC in the WSJ
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2023, 11:04:34 AM »
^^^^
Yep.  I would put a Stop the bleed/ trauma kit before a gun in terms of "stuff to have handy at all times"

Terry, you can get any number of little pouches to put a proper TQ on the strap of your man purse and have it handy.

Any of the TQs on this list will work well: https://books.allogy.com/web/tenant/8/books/f94aad5b-78f3-42be-b3de-8e8d63343866/

Just don't get them from Amazon. Too many fakes.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2023, 11:49:32 AM »

He has never been someone who could see the writing on the wall.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2023, 12:25:49 PM »
This was linked in Multitool.org, so see if it works:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/edc-everyday-carry-reddit-pocket-essentials-8f87d3bd?reflink=share_mobilewebshare&fbclid=IwAR36dcmOr9H02gND94742iVSgpT_wlJFosBK9r90qIfm9aMSyiR87Guxsks

Doesn't work for me. Often, if it doesn't work on my confuser, it will work on the phone. This hits a paywall on both.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2023, 01:03:33 PM »
^ Thank you !  I may have to get a bigger bag anyhow.  The slightly bigger one I  had for years was given to me by a son, and plumb wore put.  The one shown is the only replacement I could find but didn't really hold quite enough, let alone a tourniquet as well. I used to keep two non-melty oat and honey candy bars in the old one as well as a few more sundries.

Terry, 230RN

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2023, 02:33:34 PM »
One thing I ALWAYS carry with me, no matter what?

Poop bags for Seren.

LOL.  Anytime I put on a coat, at least one pocket is stuffed with poop bags for Bennett, our Bernese Mountain Dog.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2023, 02:47:03 PM »
I found the WSJ article by switching to Firefox, and DuckDuckGo-searching "What's In Your Pocket?" The full article came up, but just to keep a paywall from popping up later, I hit the reader view button.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2023, 12:55:46 AM »
LOL.  Anytime I put on a coat, at least one pocket is stuffed with poop bags for Bennett, our Bernese Mountain Dog.

We have a bag dispenser that clips to our dog's leash. A friend of mine uses a harness with a built-in dispenser.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2023, 07:11:47 AM »
I've not found a commercial dog poop bag that is really large enough to comfortably allow me to "scoop" Seren's poop and get it bagged away without fear of getting it on my hands as I try to fold the narrow bags up over the leavings.

I use plastic grocery bags.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2023, 11:19:12 AM »
I am at work so no gun strapped on.  But right now, 4" folding knife, keys, little keychain O-light, bigger O-light Arkfeld light clipped on, cell phone, wallet.  I guess my earbuds case is in my pocket, but I don't carry it all the time.

I guess I need to get some "stop the bleed" training.  I guess CPR/First aid training with work, but it isn't much. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2023, 01:13:35 PM »

I guess I need to get some "stop the bleed" training. 

For the basic course, there are a lot of free ones with certified instructors that run like 90min and give you all the basics. I think they should be listed by area at that link I posted. I know they use a dummy, but I don't know if they use a "bleeding dummy". In the course I took, I found the dummy with the pressurized fake blood to be especially enlightening regarding what it takes to stop blood flow. Also to handle an actual situation with messy, gushing blood. I was pretty soaked in the stuff when I did it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2023, 07:54:45 PM »
I've not found a commercial dog poop bag that is really large enough to comfortably allow me to "scoop" Seren's poop and get it bagged away without fear of getting it on my hands as I try to fold the narrow bags up over the leavings.

I use plastic grocery bags.

We use these bags that are available on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Bags-Board-Pickup-Handles-Dispensing/dp/B07JHTJHST/ref=sr_1_5?crid=M8VK1E1GTF6Z&keywords=hand+armor+dog+poop+bags&qid=1679959721&sprefix=armor+for+hand%2Caps%2C75&sr=8-5

They work well and it's rare that we have to use more than one bag.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2023, 05:28:49 AM »
I'll have to keep those in mind. The plastic grocery bags are way too convenient, though, and they're a natural byproduct of my regular shopping, and I have a ton of them.

My county recently put a 5 cent per bag tax on plastic grocery bags, but exempted pet waste bags. Since my grocery bags get recycled as pet waste bags, I never "honor scan" the number of bags I use at the self checkout. That tax money isn't going to litter maintenance and prevention, so it's a goddamned punitive, and useless, tax, and I'm recycling those bags as pet waste bags, so *expletive deleted*ck the tax grubbing commies on the county board.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2023, 08:33:04 AM »
Can’t carry at work or have a loaded weapon in vehicle (military are restrictions) so I’m vulnerable to/from and on base. 

When I’m not on base, pistol with spare mag.  Benchmade 4” pocket knife and compact OLight flashlight.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2023, 08:45:50 AM »
My on-body EDC is pretty limited.

Work/around town
Streamlight ProTac 2L-X
Glock 43
Spyderco Delica
Keys (bare minimum - truck, house, work, and a metal toothpick)
Wallet (with a couple of bonus items therein)
Phone

Around the property the pistol is usually a G19.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2023, 09:38:16 AM »
I'll have to keep those in mind. The plastic grocery bags are way too convenient, though, and they're a natural byproduct of my regular shopping, and I have a ton of them.

My county recently put a 5 cent per bag tax on plastic grocery bags, but exempted pet waste bags. Since my grocery bags get recycled as pet waste bags, I never "honor scan" the number of bags I use at the self checkout. That tax money isn't going to litter maintenance and prevention, so it's a goddamned punitive, and useless, tax, and I'm recycling those bags as pet waste bags, so *expletive deleted*ck the tax grubbing commies on the county board.

<standing ovation>

We recently had a 10¢ charge for the plastic bags but I don't know if it's a tax or just another charge by the store.  I have a boatload of them I use for all kinds of things but not for poop scooping. But now I look at the pile of them as being a hard coin dime each.

I found that Walmart has quite sturdy and reasonably attractive capacious blue cloth bags for  75¢ each which I am slowly developing the habit of bringing into the grocery store with me.   I have two of them and they make sturdy bags for other things.  They have Walmart advertising on them, but they look durable as hell.  Anjd they have large cloth handles which makes carrying stuff into the house real easy and safer than with the flimsy plastic "handles" of the regular bags.

Funny thing is, I remember when I was a kid, everybody had big cloth shopping bags they brought into the stores with them. 

I guess we've come full circle on that one, huh?

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 09:56:27 AM by 230RN »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2023, 09:43:44 AM »
Starting April 18, 2023, all WalMart stores in Washington will no longer offer any plastic bags at the checkout stands.  This includes the multi-use plastic bags available for eight cents each. You have to bring in your own bags. I used to save the plastic grocery bags for poop bags, but Washington eliminated all single-use plastic bags in October 2021.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2023, 10:31:10 AM »
Reusable bags aren't good for groceries unless you wash them after every use.  They harbor bacteria.

I like paper bags.  They tend to hold a lot more than the disposable plastic ones.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2023, 10:36:27 AM »
Reusable bags aren't good for groceries unless you wash them after every use.  They harbor bacteria.

That's kind of like worrying about raindrops in the ocean. What is not already in a container before you put it in your bag can be put in protective packaging, which is why they have all those plastic bag dispensers in the produce section (maybe not in some commie states anymore). Also, everything you touch in the store has already been handled, coughed on, and sneezed on by dozens of people before you grabbed it to stick in your bag.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2023, 11:18:04 AM »
<standing ovation>

We recently had a 10¢ charge for the plastic bags but I don't know if it's a tax or just another charge by the store.  I have a boatload of them I use for all kinds of things but not for poop scooping. But now I look at the pile of them as being a hard coin dime each.

Aldi's recently stopped making the plastic bags available.  Made a big deal of being "sustainable".  Likewise, their cloth(ish) bags are more expensive, but should last somewhat longer.

Funny thing is, I remember when I was a kid, everybody had big cloth shopping bags they brought into the stores with them. 

I guess we've come full circle on that one, huh?

Terry, 230RN

Oh, mon, you old.  Brown paper bags, when I was young.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2023, 01:41:35 PM »
That's kind of like worrying about raindrops in the ocean. What is not already in a container before you put it in your bag can be put in protective packaging, which is why they have all those plastic bag dispensers in the produce section (maybe not in some commie states anymore). Also, everything you touch in the store has already been handled, coughed on, and sneezed on by dozens of people before you grabbed it to stick in your bag.

People do not always do the smart thing.  Packages leak.  The surface of meat packaging is contaminated with bacteria.  When it gets smeared on the shopping bag, it contaminates other things.

There is research suggesting bag bans do increase food poisoning.  This study found an increase of 25% in emergency room visits for food poisoning after a ban.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2196481

230RN

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2023, 01:59:41 PM »
You give me a $50,000 grant for a year to prove that the no-bag situation does not increase food poisoning, and by gum, by golly, by cracky, I'll find the data to show that.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2023, 03:08:51 PM »
People do not always do the smart thing.  Packages leak.  The surface of meat packaging is contaminated with bacteria.  When it gets smeared on the shopping bag, it contaminates other things.

There is research suggesting bag bans do increase food poisoning.  This study found an increase of 25% in emergency room visits for food poisoning after a ban.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2196481

That's an interesting link, and I will give you that things like raw chicken leaking in the bag are going to be health concerns. I made the mistake in my post, of assuming people using reusable bags were all normal and using ordinary care. I guess we have to allow for people that will, after something disgusting leaks in the bag, do absolutely nothing about it.  =)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2023, 03:09:50 PM »
At home we use our un-holed plastic grocery bags for the 3 cat boxes we maintain daily here!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• friend
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2023, 11:12:01 PM »
I fluff  them out and check for holes.  If holed, I use them for non-icky "dry" trash.