Author Topic: Browser filtering? Is it just me?  (Read 418 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Browser filtering? Is it just me?
« on: March 28, 2023, 12:45:03 PM »
I recently got a new laptop and am still getting it set up. I've been using the MS Edge/Bing browser with no problems.
Until yesterday. Ive had a couple Windows 11 updates just recently.
Yesterday I noticed it won't go to Foxnews.com from my favorites link. Also wouldn't open Brownells ad from an email link.
I switched to Firefox and no problem following any link or opening the usual sites. APS has not been an issue.
I still need to un-crap this thing with the preloaded Norton AV That doesn't want to go away and some other junk.
I'm computer challenged, I admit it.
Thanks
What we have here is failure to communicate.

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Browser filtering? Is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 12:50:17 PM »
I just used Edge to do a Bing search for FoxNews and was able to bring it up without any problem.

Are you able to get to FoxNews that way?  If so, maybe something happened to your favorite link.  Right click on it and go to edit.  What is the URL?

If you want, message me the Brownells email link and I'll check that one too.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 01:17:24 PM »
I run into the email link problem sometimes in Brave because of the security settings. It will go to the link no problem if I right click and open as a new tab or Window, but will give a warning page if I just left click on the link in the email.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 01:26:35 PM »
I recently got a new laptop and am still getting it set up. I've been using the MS Edge/Bing browser with no problems.
Yesterday I noticed it won't go to Foxnews.com from my favorites link. Also wouldn't open Brownells ad from an email link.
I switched to Firefox and no problem following any link or opening the usual sites. APS has not been an issue.
I still need to un-crap this thing with the preloaded Norton AV That doesn't want to go away and some other junk.
Thanks

If I had a [tinfoil] on it's almost as if there's some sort of internet safety software blocking  "dangerous" (*cough* right wing *cough*) sites
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 01:32:40 PM »
Firing up W11 in a Virtual Machine to do some testing.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 01:54:45 PM »
Thanks

Get rid of Norton first. 

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881.  Norton remove and reinstall tool.  One of the advanced options will let you just remove.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 03:25:24 PM »
Ok. They know we're on to them and they fixed it.

Not really but it's a Bing thing. If I type foxnews.com it goes right to it. If I use the favorites or Frequent link the URL reads
bing.search.fox&news... with a bunch of garbage in the line. not exactly of course but obviously not clean.
I think I can fix this. Its a pretty slick Acer 14" with some nice features. I guess I shouldn't expect too much for $449.
Edge/Bing and some of the default stuff is kinda pushy.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 03:42:48 PM »
Ok. They know we're on to them and they fixed it.

Its a pretty slick Acer 14" with some nice features. I guess I shouldn't expect too much for $449.

Even now, you can get OK hardware for that.  It's not crap tier Walmart stuff. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 03:53:34 PM »
 I finally got Norton out.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 04:18:14 PM »
If I use the favorites or Frequent link the URL reads
bing.search.fox&news... with a bunch of garbage in the line. not exactly of course but obviously not clean.
So change that to https://www.foxnews.com

Or use a different browser.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 11:50:21 PM »
Edge has some weirdness going.

Last week I went to visit a friend of my late wife to help her (the friend) upload a book to Amazon KDP. We started out using her husband's new Windows 11 laptop, with Edge as the browser. We kept getting a security warning that wouldn't allow me to get into the KDP site.

I gave up. I didn't know what they had for a computer so I had brought my own laptop, running Windows 10 and Firefox. With Firefox we encountered no problems, and the book was uploaded and is now on sale.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design