Author Topic: Chocolate factory explosion in Pennsylvania caught on camera  (Read 735 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Chocolate factory explosion in Pennsylvania caught on camera
« on: March 27, 2023, 01:58:15 PM »
Chocolate factory explosion in Pennsylvania caught on camera
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q_WEOjVt7U

I saw this video over the weekend.  Have any of you heard anything else? 

2 more victims found dead following chocolate factory explosion; 7 people killed
https://6abc.com/chocolate-factory-on-fire-flames-berks-county-west-reading/13020222/

WEST READING, Pennsylvania (WPVI) -- Officials say two more people have been found dead following the devastating explosion at the R.M. Palmer Company in West Reading, Pennsylvania.
--------------------------
"It's pretty leveled, unfortunately, there's not too much to be able to salvage from it," said West Reading Mayor Samantha Kaag. "In the front, with the church and the apartments, the explosion was so big that it moved that building four feet forward."

There has been no official word on the cause of this blast, including whether it was caused by a gas leak.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Chocolate factory explosion in Pennsylvania caught on camera
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 03:38:58 PM »
"From Hell's Heart, I stab at thee!"

--Willy Wonka, probably
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 05:55:24 PM »
I couldn't find an appropriate way to blame it on a pressure situation caused by Agustus Gloop
7-11 was a part time job.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 06:36:47 PM »
Haven't heard anything definitive, but my guess is a gas leak.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 07:59:04 PM »

That's kind of what I posted!  :rofl:

I was thinking that also but how do they not smell a concentration that high.

There is also the unlikely but possible sugar dust explosion.

bob

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 10:24:35 PM »
I think the dust explosion may be more likely. Apparently sugar gets mixed and moved in ducting or piping with pressurized air. Yikes. I was working in the Hershey plant where they bring in peanuts and sugar in rail car quantities, plant seemed quite safe but now I am almost wanting to hang out in the ammonia refrigerant environs of a chicken plant.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 10:51:29 PM »
I didn't see the article mention the name of the company. 

The article did mention gas leaks, but mostly after the fact do to entire nearby buildings getting shifted a few feet among other effects. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2023, 11:55:57 PM »
I didn't see the article mention the name of the company. 

The article did mention gas leaks, but mostly after the fact do to entire nearby buildings getting shifted a few feet among other effects.

"R.M. Palmer"  (in the OP)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 12:30:15 AM »
Boy, that really disassembled that building!

It's hard to see how you can have a fire, and then a huge gas explosion.  I suppose it's possible, but sounds strange.

Dust explosion ignited by a fire just sounds more likely.

The danger of dust explosions reminds me of how everybody forgets about masses of ammonium nitrate until  some lets go.   I seem to recall somewhere about a dust explosion due to the to activity of cleaning it up.  I can see a small fire (gas leak?) igniting a dust cloud.  Anyhow, speculations aside, I'd be interested in a definitive cause.

I feel bad for the human loss.  In some explosions, i.e., Beirut, corpses are never found.

Beirut crater; 2,750 metric tons of ammonium nitrate:

« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 12:46:43 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 05:51:00 AM »
That's kind of what I posted!  :rofl:

I was thinking that also but how do they not smell a concentration that high.

There is also the unlikely but possible sugar dust explosion.

bob

Remember, it was a chocolate factor. LOTS of very strong odors to mask a gas leak.

An organic dust explosion is an interesting theory, but that would have to be a LOT of sugar dust. An explosion that large usually happens at a refinery or the like.

There was a massive explosion at a sugar refinery in Georgia in 2008 that killed 15, IIRC, and of course grain mill/elevator explosions are pretty common.

I just don't see a chocolate factory handling those kind of quantities of sugar, though.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 06:47:49 AM »
"It's hard to see how you can have a fire, and then a huge gas explosion.  I suppose it's possible, but sounds strange."

I've not seen anything indicating that there was a fire before the explosion occurred. Everything I've seen is more along the lines of boom then fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2023, 07:36:07 AM »
Interesting theory about a sugar dust explosion. When I was little, my father worked for a sugar company where they used to deliver sugar in barges - 4 million pounds of refined white sugar per barge, loaded as if it was gravel or sand. To unload, a crane was used to lower a front end loader into the barge, and it scooped up the sugar and dumped it in a hopper feeding a conveyor to bring it into the plant, where packaging & additional processing was done to make powdered sugar and sugar syrup. I don't remember him ever mentioning precautions about sugar dust explosions, but they never had one before or (AFAIK) since.

I asked "Daddy, don't rats and bugs get into the sugar? Won't they get boiled down into the syrup?"

Daddy: "Don't ask."

I lost a good part of my sweet tooth then.  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2023, 08:35:24 AM »
I thought Beirut was fire with a bunch of fireworks plus many tons of ammonium nitrate.  Been a while since I looked at that. 

Big Boom
https://armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=62659.0

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2023, 10:15:27 AM »

One of the stories I read mentioned employees had complained about smelling gas that morning.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2023, 11:16:28 AM »
One of the stories I read mentioned employees had complained about smelling gas that morning.

If true, that is what they call a clue.

The American Viscose plant in Lewistown, PA, where my Grandfather worked his entire career had a gas explosion in one of the buildings in the 1950s or 1960s. Killed 5, IIRC. Happened in the middle of the day with a full shift on the floor.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2023, 11:55:58 AM »

From Hell's heart I stab at thee -  Willy Wonka
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2023, 02:26:08 PM »
I thought Beirut was fire with a bunch of fireworks plus many tons of ammonium nitrate.  Been a while since I looked at that. 

Big Boom
https://armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=62659.0

^ That link is blocked for me.

The fireworks fire was reportedly in a warehouse nearby,  Before the main explosion, you could see many flashes of pyrotechnics going off, then the main explosion in the AN building.  It always looked to me like a pyro device like an aerial salute flew into the AN warehouse, went off, and detonated the AN.  Some reports indicate fireworks were stored in the same building as the AN:

https://youtu.be/LNDhIGR-83w

https://youtu.be/NgQ7jh9mrWs

https://youtu.be/FnSr820S2Mk

K Frame, I thought somewhere I read of a small fire first in the chocolate explosion, but it may be misreporting or misreading.  As I mentioned, it was difficult to imagine a small fire then igniting a gas leak.  As I also said, I await definitive analysis.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 03:00:28 PM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2023, 07:29:46 AM »
Read an article yesterday that had an interview with one of the survivors. She was actually on fire and fell into a chocolate vat, which saved her life.

The article also mentioned that employees mentioned smelling gas right before the explosion.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2023, 09:43:17 AM »
So it looks like gas, after all?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2023, 01:45:47 PM »
So it looks like gas, after all?
Smells like it anyway.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2023, 02:29:46 PM »
Read an article yesterday that had an interview with one of the survivors. She was actually on fire and fell into a chocolate vat, which saved her life.

So even 3rd degree burns are better with chocolate.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2023, 05:55:17 AM »
So even 3rd degree burns are better with chocolate.

I somehow read that as meaning the chocolate was hot at first glance.

duckduckgo quickie FYI:

"The science of melting chocolate | Feature | RSC Education
https://edu.rsc.org/infographics/the-science-of-melting-chocolate/4013276.article
heating the chocolate to about 40°C to make sure all the various crystal forms are melted; cooling it gradually to 28°C to give a mixture of Type IV and Type V crystals; heating it again, this time to 32°C to melt the Type IV crystals; then pouring it into moulds where it sets..."

Warm bath temp.  I don't know why I'm having erotic thoughts.

Terry

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2023, 07:25:01 AM »
"Warm bath temp."

Yep. Chocolate has a VERY narrow temperature range.

You get it too hot and it gets weird and lumpy.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2023, 11:57:28 AM »
Might be better than whipped cream.