Author Topic: S.686 The RESTRICT Act  (Read 549 times)

dogmush

• friend
S.686 The RESTRICT Act
« on: March 28, 2023, 01:22:43 PM »
What with all the mass shooting distractions I haven't noticed us talking about this on here yet.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/senate-bill/686

Text here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/senate-bill/686/text

I am in favor of shutting TikTok down, as I really do see it as actively and purposefully fomenting rot and violence in America.  This act however seems like a much larger power grab to control communication on the internet and, if one were cynical, you might think Congress was using the current kerfluffle over TikTok to seize power they otherwise would not be allowed to grab.

As bad as TikTok, and social media in general, is, I think this bill may be worse.

Here's a TL:DR video about it (ironically on TikTok).  https://twitter.com/SydneyLWatson/status/1640759955098681344?s=20

Anyone have opinions?

Jim147

• friends
Re: S.686 The RESTRICT Act
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 01:35:12 PM »
It's the Patriot Act for the internet. They need to throw it away and try again.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 01:38:21 PM »
It's the Patriot Act for the internet. They need to throw it away and try again.

Most of them seem to consider the PATRIOT Act a success though, so that doesn't fill me with optimisim.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 02:23:20 PM »
Always read any proposed law with the worst possible intent, implementation and application you can imagine.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 03:18:02 PM »
Always read any proposed law with the worst possible intent, implementation and application you can imagine.

Yup, that right there.

I truly believe that tiktok is part of Chinese fifth generation warfare against us. In China, all the tiktok challenges for kids are things like, "Be the first to solve the calculus equation", or "post the most impressive science experiment".* In the US it's, "Who can eat the most tide pods."

I'm just not sure bans and censorship are the answer.

*Admittedly, one of the reason the Chinese tiktok challenges are all intellectual is because the CCP monitors things to make it so. Without that threat, they might be doing tide pode challenges there too.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 08:09:45 PM »
Yup, that right there.

I truly believe that tiktok is part of Chinese fifth generation warfare against us. In China, all the tiktok challenges for kids are things like, "Be the first to solve the calculus equation", or "post the most impressive science experiment".* In the US it's, "Who can eat the most tide pods."

I'm just not sure bans and censorship are the answer.

*Admittedly, one of the reason the Chinese tiktok challenges are all intellectual is because the CCP monitors things to make it so. Without that threat, they might be doing tide pode challenges there too.

To be fair Americans were doing crazy stupid stuff like eating Tide pods long before Tiktok or even the internet for that matter.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 08:48:49 PM »
To be fair Americans were doing crazy stupid stuff like eating Tide pods long before Tiktok or even the internet for that matter.

Perhaps, but I feel they cut their own dicks off less before social media's current ubiquity.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 01:37:56 PM by dogmush »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 01:18:57 PM »

Quoted for truth and serving notice to plagiarize.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 01:41:04 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 01:07:29 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 01:48:03 PM »
I see the bill doesn't name TikTok specifically.  I wondered how they were going to get around the prohibition on Bills of Attainder.

"It's good, though..."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 04:06:12 PM »
Got this back from Ron Johnson last week:

April 4, 2023

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting the Office of Senator Ron Johnson regarding S. 686, Restricting the Emergence of Security Threats that Risk Information and Communications Technology (RESTRICT) Act.

Senator Johnson has always believed members of Congress must read the fine print of any legislation before they endorse it, as the language of a bill might ultimately result in an unintended consequence that detracts from its advertised purpose. The RESTRICT Act highlights this point, notably because of valid concerns involving unilateral presidential authority to limit citizens free speech rights. There are legitimate, bipartisan criticisms of the current version of the RESTRICT Act, and Senator Johnson believes many of his colleagues may eventually reevaluate their initial support of it. The Senator has said he could support a simpler bill that would merely ban TikTok, or force its parent company, ByteDance Ltd. to sell the app to a U.S. company.

The RESTRICT Act has been referred to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation – a committee of which the Senator is not a member. Should the full Senate considers this legislation, be assured the Senator will keep your comments in mind.

For more information regarding the Senator’s views on other issues, please visit his website at www.ronjohnson.senate.gov.

Thank you for contacting the Office of Senator Ron Johnson.

Sincerely,

Ron’s State Staff
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 01:13:17 AM by bedlamite »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 08:45:51 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden