Author Topic: Suggest a good pair of boots!  (Read 3959 times)

LaTropa64

Suggest a good pair of boots!
« on: May 23, 2005, 05:01:43 PM »
So I'm sure this question gets asked often. Smiley

What's a good pair of work boots to have for the summer time?

I'm looking for something with NO steel toes and NOT insulated but with goretex. It's tough to find anything that meets those requirements. I have a good pair of Danners that are insulated and serve me well during the winter time but they get way too hot on warm days. I pretty much had to sell my soul to the devil to pay for them, but I'll do it again if I can find a pair like them without insulation. Smiley

grampster

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 05:08:50 PM »
Go to www.wolverine worldwide.com.  Take a look around.  Wolverine boots are great.
I've had em for years.  Really comfortable and lightweight.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 05:17:17 PM »
You sure about the goretex?  It's going to get awfully toasty in there if your feet are sealed up in goretex.  If you're looking for something that's going to be cool, I would go with some desert boots.  I know you can find them with reinforced toes that are not steel.  Converse makes just such a boot for around $100.  Matterhorn makes one to your exact specifications, but it's in the $175 range.  It's a 10" black leather, gore-tex with no insulation, and a composite toe.  Pretty nice boot, IMO.

LaTropa64

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 05:24:28 PM »
Quote from: grampster
Go to www.wolverine worldwide.com.  Take a look around.  Wolverine boots are great.
I've had em for years.  Really comfortable and lightweight.
Thanks. These ones look pretty good:

http://www.wolverine.com/catalog/detail.aspx?pid=8255&stid=M&stocknumber=

I also did some searching around Danners site and found these:

http://www.danner.com/products.asp?catid=12&prodid=2226

Quote from: Azrael256
You sure about the goretex?  It's going to get awfully toasty in there if your feet are sealed up in goretex.  If you're looking for something that's going to be cool, I would go with some desert boots.
I just love the fact that I can walk through huge puddles of water and my feet are ALWAYS dry. Things have been getting awfully uncomfortable in the heat though the last few weeks. I just figured it was the insulation in these boots more than the goretex, but I might have to rethink that if even a non-insulated goretex boot is going to be toasty.

I hate decisions. Smiley

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 05:33:57 PM »
I like lots of ventilation in my summer boots.  Unless you're living in a swamp, you'll dry out very quickly in boots that breathe well.  I find that waterproof boots trap too much sweat, with makes me smell like a locker room, and doesn't help with the heat.  Try walking around in the heat with a buttoned up raincoat.  It's the same effect.  You'll overheat very quickly because there's no way for your sweat to evaporate.

LaTropa64

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 05:37:59 PM »
That's true. I thought the whole thing about goretex though is it was suppose to be "breathable". I guess if it keeps water out though it really can't be that breathable.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 09:32:13 PM »
In my experience with goretex, which is admittedly limited, it is breathable enough to get rid of sweat when it's cold.  When it's hot, it tends to trap too much air for my taste.  This experience is gleaned from goretex glove liners.  They were extremely thin, and not insulated at all, and they got seriously hot in short order at room temperature.

If you're worried about your feet getting wet, you might look for Wellman sock liners.  I picked up several pairs to wear under my wool socks, and they do a great job of keeping my feet dry.  I believe Dickies was selling them.  The label just said "sock liners," but you'll find "Wellman Fiber" somewhere on the packaging.

HForrest

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 10:47:38 PM »
http://tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/footwear%20main/oakley_assault_boot.htm

The product description says "Elite Special Forces" in it, so you know they've gotta be good.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 03:05:59 AM »
You're going to ge an awful lot of opinions on this but I'll chip in anyway.  I bought a pair of Oakley SI boots, in tan (they have black too), and they are great.  Lightweight, airy, durable, and extremely comforatble (once broken in).  Now, they are WAY too expensive retail.  I got lucky and got in on a group buy with some cop buddies of mine.  They retail for $225 which is absurd for ANY boot, not to mention Oakley.  I paid $90 through government sales and they are worth every bit of that so I'd say if you can work a similar deal, go for it.  You can also get wide sizes through government sales.  Now, you will note I said something about break-in--well, it takes about three weeks to break them in.  Longer than any leather I have ever owned.  During this time, your feet will hurt but rest assured, it will pass.

Greg

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 04:54:35 AM »
For uninsulated with Gore-Tex, take a look at Rocky Outbacks as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 04:57:09 AM »
I'll second the suggestion to look at Wolverine. The ones I have on now don't meet your criteria, but in my experience they make good quality, confortable boots. One of the only makers I could find that made a wide enough boot for me.

Skunkabilly

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 06:13:48 AM »
I want to try out one of the lightweight Danners like the Agitator. Stupid name though.
Ninja...vanish....

50 Shooter

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 06:50:20 AM »
This is the boot I wear at work, http://www.redwingshoe.com/shoe-zoom.cfm?style=2426 after a few different trys with Redwing boots this one works best for me. I didn't even have to break them in, they were that comfortable.

Here's another line of boots that's marketed by Redwing, http://www.irishsetterboots.com/

LaTropa64

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005, 11:05:59 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions! It's been keeping me busy browsing through alot of websites.

Quote from: Combat-wombat
http://tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/footwear%20main/oakley_assault_boot.htmThe product description says "Elite Special Forces" in it, so you know they've gotta be good.
Hmmm... An assault boot. I just hope they don't have more than 10 eyelets or I could get in some serious trouble! Smiley

Penman

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2005, 12:29:57 PM »
If you're serious about getting the best work boots for Summer, get a pair of White's in elk tanned leather. White's Shoe Shop in Spokane, WA. If you're going to be in rough country, their Smoke Jumper boots are the ones.

english kanigit

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005, 01:23:17 PM »
The classic jungle boot

I even take a pair of 'em to the lake for water shoes, never had to worry about sharp rocks or fishing lures! Cheesy
When in doubt,
call for naval gunfire...

spacemanspiff

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 04:04:40 PM »
never mind, i mistook the T for another more interesting letter.
Wear a Yellow Armband!

english kanigit

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 05:28:32 PM »
Quote from: spiffy
never mind, i mistook the T for another more interesting letter.
If only! Wink
When in doubt,
call for naval gunfire...

Schuey2002

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2005, 05:49:15 PM »
Danner.

cheesy

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2005, 07:06:27 PM »
Just go here and be done with it:

http://www.redwingshoe.com/products/search.cfm

The only two brands of shoe that I need or care about are Red Wings, and less so, Doc Martens.
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III