Author Topic: Goodbye to new assault weapons in Washington state  (Read 1620 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Goodbye to new assault weapons in Washington state
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2023, 12:16:20 PM »
US V. Miller is still case law, right?  It didn't get overturned when I wasn't paying attention?

I only ask because the MAIN holding in Miller was:

Only weapons that have a reasonable relationship to the effectiveness of a well-regulated militia under the Second Amendment are free from government regulation.

IIRC most other AWB's go the route of "these weapons are extra dangerous, and as such can be regulated".  By going for the "These weapons are most useful to a military"  Washington state may have stepped on their crank a little.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2023, 12:20:03 PM »
At the top of bill

So now "assault" weapons are civilian versions of weapons created for the military.

Wasn’t the ruling from Miller that only guns suitable to military service were protected by the 2A?  This would be in direct violation of Miller.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2023, 11:30:40 AM »
Wasn’t the ruling from Miller that only guns suitable to military service were protected by the 2A?  This would be in direct violation of Miller.

Yes, that is what Miller says.  This is what most courts in the USA said up until Miller.  A few courts thought all weapons were protected.  Most said only military weapons were protected.  Nobody even suggested that military weapons weren't covered.

However, it looks like the current court probably considers semi-automatic rifles protected under the Second, and not actual military machine guns, due to the absurd "dangerous and unusual" fantasy they have concocted.  English common law said there was no right to carry dangerous and usual weapons "to the terror of the public"- ie, brandish them... the courts recently twisted this to imply that there is no right to own "dangerous or unusual weapons"... even if the only reason they are unusual is that they are heavily regulated/banned already.

It is an absurd circular argument, but they aren't going to let us own machine guns.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2023, 04:19:46 PM »
I thought this was a nice reminder of how silly it is to ban extra-scary guns.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2023/04/14/amy-swearer-schools-and-reality-checks-whiny-gun-grabber-al-franken-in-epic-thread-on-weapons-of-war/

Just one example:

I always bring up "you can give a mass shooter a lever-action rifle and lots of people still die" and historically it's more true than you realize. In 1928, a drugged-out Chinese cook killed 11 Chinese immigrants in California using a Winchester rifle.https://t.co/6KsMkUs5ly

— Amy Swearer (@AmySwearer) April 14, 2023

Nearly 100 years later, also in California, a Chinese immigrant would again try to kill as many people of Chinese descent as possible.

Instead of a lever-action rifle, he'd use a literal "assault pistol" to fire into a dance hall on the Lunar New Year.

He'd also kill 11.

— Amy Swearer (@AmySwearer) April 14, 2023
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2023, 04:14:31 PM »
At the top of bill

So now "assault" weapons are civilian versions of weapons created for the military.

Which ironically, are the exact weapons protected in US v. Miller
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2023, 03:16:28 PM »
Signed and in effect
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2023, 03:36:22 PM »
I wonder how many lawsuits will be filed by end of day? Any bets on how long the injunction takes?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Pb

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2023, 03:46:31 PM »
The Ninth Circuit includes Washington... and similar cases are already in front of an excellent judge.

Pardon the moronic leftist twaddle in the article.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-03-07/thanks-to-supreme-court-california-gun-laws-hinge-on-absurd-historical-analysis

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2023, 03:47:46 PM »
An article I read said that WA is the tenth state to do this. I actually didn't know it was up to ten now.

As an aside, where guns are concerned, it sure looks like the dividing up of red vs blue states is AR bans for the blue, and permitless carry for the red. On that front, we are certainly winning, but best not get complacent.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2023, 05:09:15 PM »
What? The conservatives already have their guns and we will never catch up says to left. Oh well,tough shyte, file it under unintended consequences.  :rofl:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgwxkq/washington-gun-ban

bob

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2023, 05:35:06 PM »
An article I read said that WA is the tenth state to do this. I actually didn't know it was up to ten now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_weapons_legislation_in_the_United_States#State_assault_weapon_bans

Eleven if one includes D.C.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

griz

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2023, 08:57:30 PM »
I'm glad that in at least one state that the murder rate has now dropped to zero because no deadly weapons are available to us commoners.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2023, 09:33:15 AM »
Aero Precision has filed suit (with others)

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/the-hangar/aero-precision-files-lawsuit-against-washington-assault-weapons-ban/

Kinda want to go buy some lowers from them now.  Not that I need more, but still.....

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2023, 09:51:25 AM »
^^^One of my best builds is with Aero Precision.  I toured through the Tacoma factory once, and it was very impressive.  They started off making parts for Boeing.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2023, 09:56:19 AM »
US V. Miller is still case law, right?  It didn't get overturned when I wasn't paying attention?

I only ask because the MAIN holding in Miller was:

IIRC most other AWB's go the route of "these weapons are extra dangerous, and as such can be regulated".  By going for the "These weapons are most useful to a military"  Washington state may have stepped on their crank a little.
Didn't either the Heller or McDonald decisions address Miller?  I don't remember what they said.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2023, 06:00:16 PM »
Heads-up for our Idaho members: a friend of mine works at the Boise Cabela's.  They just took delivery of 400 "assault weapons" from the WA stores.  For reasons unclear to me, they have to be sold as "used", so there might some deals to be had.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2023, 08:47:04 PM »
What? The conservatives already have their guns and we will never catch up says to left. Oh well,tough shyte, file it under unintended consequences.  :rofl:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgwxkq/washington-gun-ban

bob

Yet by left-wing "logic" that just means the righties will die more.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/zm5xvy/guns-make-you-and-your-family-less-safe-not-more
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife