Author Topic: Baked a ham for Easter...  (Read 3585 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Baked a ham for Easter...
« on: April 16, 2023, 03:14:29 PM »
Have a bunch of ham left over, and a nice meaty ham bone.

So it's time for ham, green beans, and potatoes!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

castle key

• friend
Re: Baked a ham for Easter...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 05:55:08 PM »
Today is Easter.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 06:30:24 PM »
https://babylonbee.com/news/god-confirms-orthodox-rapture-will-occur-one-week-after-regular-rapture  :D

Have a bunch of ham left over, and a nice meaty ham bone.

So it's time for ham, green beans, and potatoes!

What do you do with the bone?  It's too good to waste on green beans (ham trimmings will do just fine for that)
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 07:17:37 AM »
Today is Easter.

You're Jewish AND you can't eat ham. What would you know about it? :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 07:21:29 AM »
https://babylonbee.com/news/god-confirms-orthodox-rapture-will-occur-one-week-after-regular-rapture  :D

What do you do with the bone?  It's too good to waste on green beans (ham trimmings will do just fine for that)

You shut your heathen ass!

The ham bone and meat clinging to it were slow boiled for 3 hours until the meat started slipping.

The meat was removed from the bone and shredded and the bones were returned to the pot for another 3 hours.

The stock was incredible. This morning when I pulled my lunch out of the fridge to go to work the ham, green beans, and potatoes were encased in a beautiful aspic gel. That's when you know you've got collagen extraction.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 09:33:38 AM »
You're Jewish AND you can't eat ham. What would you know about it? :rofl:

That's actually the original purpose of the Easter ham... to prove to the world you aren't a crypto Jew or Muslim.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2023, 09:47:36 AM »
That's actually the original purpose of the Easter ham... to prove to the world you aren't a crypto Jew or Muslim.

Do you have a reference for that?  Because I've wondered for a while if it might be a stick-it-to-the-Jews thing.
"It's good, though..."

castle key

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 09:58:14 AM »
Mike indicates my Jewish heritage. Indeed true! Since it's a maternal lineage, I don't qualify; culturally I'm pretty Jewish.

I really like ham.

Sadly I can't eat it since some awful Lone Star ticks decided to mess with my body and give me an Alpha Gal allergy to mammalian meats.   

I really hate ticks a lot.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2023, 10:05:21 AM »
Do you have a reference for that?  Because I've wondered for a while if it might be a stick-it-to-the-Jews thing.

I can't remember where I read it.  There is some dispute about this, some people say it is just a pagan holdover, or because pork is in season.

I do know that the worry about cryptojews and muslims was huge in spain... and that is who the Spanish Inquisition really targeted... because they were believed to be loyal to the previous muslim overlords.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 07:10:58 AM »
"culturally I'm pretty Jewish."

And the nose...

:rofl:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2023, 07:15:22 AM »

Yeah... actually, no.

Ham has nothing to do with proving your Christian bonafides.

Ham at Easter is almost completely an American invention.

https://www.thedailymeal.com/1209693/why-do-we-eat-ham-on-easter/#:~:text=Simply%20put%2C%20ham%20is%20eaten%20on%20Easter%20because,Israelites%20being%20liberated%20and%20their%20exodus%20from%20Egypt.

and also...

https://www.marthastewart.com/1538183/how-easter-ham-became-traditional-easter-dinner

Over the years my family routinely swapped back and forth between ham and lamb for Easter. I absolutely adore lamb, and would love to cook one, but it's tough finding half legs of lamb in this area, and a full leg is just simply too much for me.

Last time I had lamb for Easter was 6 or 7 years ago with Castle Key. Well, he didn't eat it. He hates lamb. He's a picky bastard. :rofl: