Author Topic: Cash Purchases over 1000eur Banned in the EU  (Read 1331 times)

JTHunter

• friends
Re: Cash Purchases over 1000eur Banned in the EU
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2023, 01:42:32 PM »
I didn't realize how widespread the use of debit cards has become until I parked in a downtown parking garage on Friday and paid in cash when I left. The attendant looked like he had never heard of cash, and it took him an inordinately long time to figure out how to deal with it.

Imagine how confused they get when somebody pays with a CHECK !!  :facepalm:  :old:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2023, 02:04:40 PM »
Imagine how confused they get when somebody pays with a CHECK !!  :facepalm:  :old:

I don't care what generation you're from... if you pay by check for ANYTHING today short of a concierge transaction like buying a car or a house or high value capital/durable goods, you're an ahole.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2023, 02:21:33 PM »

The only thing that makes me more frothing mad than being stuck in the checkout behind a check writing blue hair is being stuck in the checkout behind someone running two transactions, one WIC for food, and one cash for cigs and booze.

Those two demographics alone make me prefer self checkout, since neither of them can figure one out.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2023, 02:38:35 PM »
The only thing that makes me more frothing mad than being stuck in the checkout behind a check writing blue hair is being stuck in the checkout behind someone running two transactions, one WIC for food, and one cash for cigs and booze.

Those two demographics alone make me prefer self checkout, since neither of them can figure one out.

The worst is the person who doesn't even get their checkbook out until after everything is rung up and they hear the total. If you know you're paying with a check, you can't be getting the checkbook out while stuff is being rung up and fill in everything but the amount? I've even seen some people reconcile their check register before they even start filling out the check.

I'll take a bit of a breath and not get spun up if it's a really old lady. Living in small town potatoho, there's a lot of little old ladies that pay with a check at the local grocery and dollar store.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2023, 02:39:55 PM »
It is possible to fill out the check mostly before you get to the checkout.  It doesn't take that long once it is filled out.  (Ben beat me to it)

That said, cash works even if the internet is down.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2023, 02:42:32 PM »
One time at Walmart (years ago), there was a person in the express lane with a basket full of what looked like cheap crap.  They had a stack of coupons and were pulling out a handful of items at a time to check out.  I was upset the checkout person didn't make them get back to the end of the line each time.

I don't subject myself to the local Walmart anymore. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2023, 02:44:12 PM »
I don't care what generation you're from... if you pay by check for ANYTHING today short of a concierge transaction like buying a car or a house or high value capital/durable goods, you're an ahole.

I deposited a customer's check into my DBA bank account this morning. I've known her for several years and she is a nice lady, not an ahole at all.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2023, 03:38:34 PM »

So this made me log onto the credit union and look at our records: we wrote one check last year, for the HOA dues.  That may well be the only check that we write in a given year.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2023, 03:44:25 PM »
So this made me log onto the credit union and look at our records: we wrote one check last year, for the HOA dues.  That may well be the only check that we write in a given year.

I still have to write I guess 6-20 per year, depending on how many contractors might show up. My gopher lady only takes checks, and I pay her like 4-5 times per year. Most tradespeople here, if they are local, want cash, check, or CC with 3% surcharge. I write checks for the property taxes and my vehicle registration because I don't want to pay the 3% for the CC.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2023, 04:19:13 PM »
^^^A few years back, the County started taking electronic payments for the property taxes.  I can do it via credit card with a service charge or an 'electronic check' for fifty cents.  That's cheaper than the stamp to mail in a paper check.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2023, 05:22:57 PM »
I write checks to the church and to the DMV; that's about it.  (the DMV checks are made out before I go there)  I pay a half dozen or so bills with checks, but over half of those go out as an electronic ACH transfer, and the bank pays for the stamp on the few that have to be paper checks.

I just ordered checks, and for whatever reason I ordered 2 boxes.  That could easily be a lifetime supply.
"It's good, though..."

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2023, 10:38:25 PM »

Too bad.  I rarely use credit and I don't have a debit card.  I dislike debit cards vehemently as there are NO protections for fraudulent charges like there are on credit cards.
So, I'm not an "ahole", I don't have "blue hair" (very little gray either), and I always fill my checks out in advance.  I don't like standing in line either.
*thumb tip touches nose, fingers vertical and wiggling*
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2023, 12:54:14 AM »
I write a check every time I go to the commissary at Nellis. I have it filled out before i get there except for the amount and toward the end I start with the hundreds number before she is finished. I will also use a check at places that like to add 3-4% charge for using s CC. I may be an ahole but it isn't because of the way I pay for my groceries at Nellis. ;)

bob

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2023, 08:55:46 AM »
Too bad.  I rarely use credit and I don't have a debit card.  I dislike debit cards vehemently as there are NO protections for fraudulent charges like there are on credit cards.

Actually, a lot of financial institutions offer the same fraud protections with their debit cards as they do with their credit cards.  Our credit union does.  They have alerted us to possible fraudulent activity on our debit cards and made us whole each time it occurred.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2023, 06:09:59 PM »
I don't disagree. Even as an old guy, I don't think I'll get through the years I have left before they do it.

And yeah, I keep wanting to look at crypto, but what a charlie foxtrot and extreme valuation bounces. I suppose ammo as currency would be a viable option at some point.  =)
summer of 2020 I was looking for cash in my pockets while shopping at safeway , I jokingly offered 4 or 5 rounds of .40 sw I had in my pocket, and the kid got really nervous telling me he's not allowed to accept ammo :rofl:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2023, 07:09:36 AM »
"I jokingly offered 4 or 5 rounds of .40 sw I had in my pocket"

WTF were you buying? Fillet mignon, lobster, and truffles?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2023, 07:17:25 AM »
"I jokingly offered 4 or 5 rounds of .40 sw I had in my pocket"

WTF were you buying? Fillet mignon, lobster, and truffles?

Usually people pay for those with food stamps.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2023, 10:37:06 PM »
Actually, a lot of financial institutions offer the same fraud protections with their debit cards as they do with their credit cards.  Our credit union does.  They have alerted us to possible fraudulent activity on our debit cards and made us whole each time it occurred.

Good for them!
I don't know of any in this area but, as I have no desire to ever use a debit card, I haven't investigated that possibility.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2023, 12:46:33 AM »
Good for them!
I don't know of any in this area but, as I have no desire to ever use a debit card, I haven't investigated that possibility.

Had my debit card compromised several times over the years.  Never had a problem getting my money back.

I’m treasurer for the youth symphony.  We take 98% of tuition payments by check.  The incoming treasurer (yay! only another couple weeks) will set up electronic payments.