Author Topic: 327 People Arrested 6000 Times  (Read 572 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
327 People Arrested 6000 Times
« on: April 16, 2023, 11:18:16 AM »
From the NYT no less, a report that for shoplifting in NYC, the majority is done by the same 327 people who have been arrested a total of 6000 times. It seems like if you know who the repeat offenders were, you would have jailed them around 5000 arrests ago. If your interest was crime reduction, anyways.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2023/04/16/byron-york-torches-d-a-alvin-bragg-for-ignoring-actual-crime-in-new-york-city-and-its-perfect/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: 327 People Arrested 6000 Times
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 11:24:01 AM »
DA Bragg: Squirrel!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 03:51:33 PM »
 Once they got used to being arrested, they lost their fear of it.
 Facing little consequences, they saw little reason to stop.
So glad to not be living in my home town.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 11:18:50 AM »
I agree with the general point that a big chunk of crime is committed by a small number of people.  If you prosecute crimes aggressively and sentence criminals aggressively, you can take those people out of circulation. 

The headline I see says "nearly a third" of "shoplifting arrests" are the same 327 people.  How many shoplifters are actually arrested?  Does this mean they did something worse than normal or they just got caught?  That still means 2/3 of the arrests for other people and that doesn't count all the people who were never actually arrested.  Does New York arrest shoplifters who only steal a small amount?  I wasn't sure if they did the same thing as California.

It would be an interesting study to see what other crimes those same people have been arrested for and their track record for plea bargains and such.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 11:43:20 AM »
The local news the other day did a story about law enforcement busting an 'organized retail theft' ring locally.  They showed a picture of the storage unit they used that was full to the brim with new, unopened boxes of Milwaukee, DeWalt, Festool and Makita power tools, video games, designer shoes and designer purses.  This is different from casual shoplifting in that it is an organized group of people stealing very specific items to order and to then fence or sell on eBay, Craigslist or the like.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 01:09:02 PM »
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2023, 01:30:45 PM »
Why should Bragg be any different than these other two prosecutors that are soft on crime?  I speak of the two "females" in Chicago and St. Louis, Foxx and Gardiner.
Gardiner also has her first "hearing" today.  [popcorn]
I'm going to have to listen to the news on a transistor radio - unless Ameren gets my power back on today.
  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 01:41:31 PM »
No. Trump!

Maybe I should have said Orange Squirrel
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2023, 10:24:53 PM »

It would be an interesting study to see what other crimes those same people have been arrested for and their track record for plea bargains and such.

Agreed, but more or less irrelevant to solving the problem... which is expensive for us.  It would be impossible or very difficult to institute an N times and you're out for his this type of crime --similar to the three felonies and it's life in prison concept.

I've suggested that a new sentencing scheme be instituted where the sentences for past iterations of the crime be added up for the total sentence of the present crime.  By law, no judicial discretion allowed.

First time one year, second time two years, third time three years, fourth time six years, fifth time 12 years...

A multiplication factor could be added to that type of scheme.

But in today's squishy-squooshey mileau of what I call liberal "cul-de-sac voters," this would be impossible.

Besides, our prisons are already overcrowded, but I have a non-"cul-de-sac voter" solution for that, too.  >:D

Terry, 230RN 
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 11:34:40 AM »
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2023, 06:37:58 PM »
At my old store, which was at the edge of a Home Depot parking lot, I'd see at least 3-4 folks/day (that I would notice) carrying multiple boxes out of the store and then getting on the bus, or waiting for a ride. Saw one guy carrying a generator, which he then tried to sell in my parking lot. That was a nope...
Blog under construction