Author Topic: Moussaka  (Read 3131 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Moussaka
« on: April 15, 2023, 04:38:07 PM »
I like the concept of eggplants, but never know what to do with them.  So I buy them, wait 2 or 3 weeks, then throw them away.  :laugh:  It's time to change that.  I'm planting eggplants in the garden this year to force the issue.

Today I'm making moussaka.  If you're not familiar with it, it resembles lasagna with a béchamel sauce, made with eggplant or eggplant and sliced potatoes instead of noodles.  And the meat sauce should have cinnamon in it.

I found a couple of different recipes and mashed them together:
https://30seconds.com/food/tip/55365/Easy-Moussaka-Recipe-This-Middle-Eastern-Casserole-Recipe-Is-Heavenly
https://www.mygreekdish.com/recipe/vegan-moussaka-with-lentils/

I mostly followed the vegan recipe (lentils and dried mushrooms) except I added beef bouillon to the sauce.  I made the béchamel sauce from the other one, with real eggs and milk; I reduced the amount of oil but made up for it by adding cream.

It just came out of the oven and looks gorgeous, but I'm having second thoughts about making a vegetable version the first time instead of using beef or beef-and-lamb.
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Moussaka
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 07:13:38 PM »
It's actually good. It almost has too much salt; I seasoned it before it was through cooking down.  Also it could use more eggplant. The 2 big eggplants that're in there totally disappeared. That means I should have sliced them thicker and used 1 more.  The thin layer of potato slices at the bottom is nice.

It will probably taste better tomorrow, and the lentils might even absorb some of the salt.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 09:02:45 AM »
I LOVE moussaka.

My Mom used to make a green bean moussaka when I was a kid. My God I loved that.

There's a Greek-owned restaurant near my house that I occasionally go to. I always get their moussaka. It's incredible Traditional Greek style with all of the spices.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 07:24:53 PM »
The cinnamon was interesting the first time I ate it, but it's starting to get annoying.  I'll make this again but leave it out and maybe add a little cheese.  It won't be moussaka; more like a vegetable lasagna with baked eggplant slices for the noodles.  Thin layer of potatoes, eggplant, meat sauce, mozzarella or provolone, eggplant again, béchamel, parmesan on top.  I might even make it again with the lentils and dried mushrooms; that's better than I expected but it could use some red pepper flakes.
"It's good, though..."