Author Topic: Went to see Vivek Ramaswamy yesterday  (Read 651 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Went to see Vivek Ramaswamy yesterday
« on: April 17, 2023, 07:20:56 AM »
Vivek is running for president and is hitting the NH small town campaign circuit.  Since he was close to me yesterday, my wife and I went to listen to him.

He has good ideas and big ideas (pipe dreams?) and I hope he can implement those ideas, but I think he won't get far in the primaries.  Still, I like him better than the other known candidates so far.

His website: https://www.vivek2024.com

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
Re: Went to see Vivek Ramaswamy yesterday
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 07:29:51 AM »
I've seen him on TV a couple of times - based on what I heard him say, he generally seems to have his head screwed on right.

I'm not ready to endorse him, but my early impression is that we could do a lot worse than electing him . . . and probably will.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 08:03:23 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 07:43:58 AM »
he generally seems to have his head screwed on right.

The MSM will no doubt label him a crazy loon
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 09:37:56 AM »
Does he have any charisma?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 10:20:03 AM »

IMO, from what I have seen, he has an excellent screen presence. So far most everything (admittedly limited) I've heard him say, I approve of. I'd never heard of him, or at least may have seen him on the teevee, but didn't recognize him, until he announced his run. I suspect that being that much of an unknown may hurt him, even if all his policy proposals, as well as how he carries himself, are top notch.

I'm already seeing a bunch of congressionals announcing their support of Trump 2024. A mistake, IMO, but Trump is really getting a surge. Even his numbers over DeSantis are very surprising to me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 11:08:50 AM »

Yes, tons.  He is a very likeable guy.  Young (37), well spoken,  engaging, energetic, good looking, etc.

He started a successful pharma company that brought a few drugs to market, and brought a fat stack of cash to his own pocket.

Some of the things he said that caught my attention: 

Get rid of the Dept of Education, federal unions, and the FBI
Use executive order to kill affirmative action
Get rid of wokeism, DEI initiatives, and ESG investing

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2023, 11:12:59 AM »
I didn't get a chance to ask any questions, and no one else asked the Litmus Test questions that I was going to ask, "Where do you stand on abortion, healthcare, and guns?"

Vivek spoke at the NRA convention recently, so he is at least somewhat pro-gun, or at least not overtly anti-gun.  He is Hindu with plenty of Christian schooling, so I bet he is mostly anti-abortion, but I haven't seen any reports about that.  I have no idea what his healthcare stance is.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 11:39:26 AM »
Sorry, Vivek, not voting for you because of this:

On the issue of abortion, Ramaswamy said he identifies as “pro-life,” but would oppose a federal abortion ban. He said abortion is a “states rights issue.”

The Bill of Rights protects people's right not to deprived of life without due process of law, and the 14th Amendment applies that to the states, and grants the Fed government the power to prevent states from violating these rights if they attempt to do so:

Amendment XIV
Section 1.
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Section 5.
The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Hinduism is indeed pro-life, but there are huge numbers of abortions in India anyway.  (Just like among "Christians" in the USA I suppose).

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2023, 11:52:48 AM »
There would be people who would disagree on the "states rights" issue.  I think the answer is okay for now.  Abortion was only thrown back to the states last June.  Let the issue settle a bit.  Plenty of other stuff I would rather be a priority.  IMO, too many R politicians use the abortion issue as a campaign issue so they don't have to talk about other important issues. 

If they can't get rid of the FBI, they should at least disarm them.  Disarm all federal agents/employees except the US Marshalls. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2023, 01:20:28 PM »
Sorry, Vivek, not voting for you because of this:

Hinduism is indeed pro-life, but there are huge numbers of abortions in India anyway.  (Just like among "Christians" in the USA I suppose).

Question:  Are you really not voting for him because of that?  Or not voting for him in the Primaries?  Like, if the general election ballot is Kamala v. Vivek will you go third party and/or abstain?

I only ask because It seems like a lot of the folks I know on both sides make grand pronouncements about "I will NOT vote for x" then line up and pull the party lever when the time comes.  I'm curious where you fall in that spectrum.

For full disclosure, I have sworn off voting "for the lessor evil" and will only cast a vote for a candidate if I support them.  I no longer lend my agency to people I despise.  YMM, of course, V.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2023, 03:47:57 PM »
Good question, I will not vote for him in the primaries because of that.  In the general election I would.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2023, 03:53:25 PM »
Are there any candidates that have pushed for a national ban on abortion? I would expect most of them to have the same position as VR.

Since we have a ban on slavery, a ban on abortion is a gold-brick cinch. I still don't think Republicans should push for it right now, though.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2023, 06:24:04 PM »
Got a mailing list email from Vivek today.  He wants to shut down the FBI and ATF, but replace them with other federal agencies built anew.

Standard suck-up tactics in my opinion.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2023, 06:44:39 PM »
Question:  Are you really not voting for him because of that?  Or not voting for him in the Primaries?  Like, if the general election ballot is Kamala v. Vivek will you go third party and/or abstain?

I only ask because It seems like a lot of the folks I know on both sides make grand pronouncements about "I will NOT vote for x" then line up and pull the party lever when the time comes.  I'm curious where you fall in that spectrum.

For full disclosure, I have sworn off voting "for the lessor evil" and will only cast a vote for a candidate if I support them.  I no longer lend my agency to people I despise.  YMM, of course, V.

Cthulhu 2024!  Screw voting for a lesser evil.

On a more serious note, Pb I hope you aren’t going to let lack of perfection in a candidate spoil your vote for them when, at absolute worst, that stance maintains the status quo, and most likely would lead to incremental improvement.

Also, my general thoughts on Mr Swami.  Generally I like what I see, though he has no experience with the shark infested pool of high level politics.  That’s a good thing in a way, but as young and inexperienced as he is on that level my worry would be that he’d get run in meaningless and endless circles by the pro political class in DC.  Even Trump fell victim to that, and he knew most of those people for a long time before becoming president.

His name recognition is nonexistent.  This campaign will change that, but not in time to matter.  Between Trump, DeSantis and even Haley most of the oxygen in the room will be consumed and there won’t be anything left with which he can catch fire. 

IMHO, his best case outcome is Trump or DeSantis beats the incumbent house plant and he gets the kind of cabinet post that gives him the air time and political experience to further build his resume to be a viable candidate in 2028 or 2032.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2023, 07:45:17 PM »
I know nothing about Vivek yet.  Sounds like an okay guy from what y'all have said.  His stance on abortion is a little disappointing.

Trump needs to endorse somebody then get out of their way.  Pence, Haley, Vivek, whatever.  (it won't be Desantis)  It's time for him to focus on being a good ex-president and senior statesman.  If Carter can do it, and Dubya can do it, Trump can too.

Cthulhu 2024!  Screw voting for a lesser evil.

:laugh:  That too.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2023, 09:36:10 PM »
So while the Democrats have Marianne Williamson, the GOP has Vivek Ramaswamy.

Since they're both on roughly the same relative tier in their respective parties, maybe they can debate one another; their positions seem to be different enough to make it interesting.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2023, 09:00:43 PM »
Anyways, ya gotta like the guy for making Don Lemon look like a *expletive deleted*che (admittedly not that difficult a task):

https://twitter.com/i/status/1648688608541392896
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2023, 10:02:02 PM »
Anyways, ya gotta like the guy for making Don Lemon look like a *expletive deleted*che (admittedly not that difficult a task):

https://twitter.com/i/status/1648688608541392896

The entry for *expletive deleted*che in the online dictionary is a picture of Don Lemon.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams