Author Topic: Has anyone ridden a scooter with dual front wheels?  (Read 291 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Has anyone ridden a scooter with dual front wheels?
« on: April 18, 2023, 07:23:48 PM »
That would be the Piaggio or Peugeot scooter that looks like this:

I am wondering if it rides much differently than a conventional scooter or motorcycle.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
Re: Has anyone ridden a scooter with dual front wheels?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 07:51:17 AM »
I'm not a biker at all, but that's one funny looking scooter.

I wonder - is it controllable at all if something happens to one of the front tires?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 08:35:57 AM »
RE that design of "reverse trike"... WHY? More unsprung weight, goofy handling, needless complexity. Put me down as a "NO". Now, something like the CAN-AM "reverse trikes", I'd like to try one.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 08:47:15 AM »
RE that design of "reverse trike"... WHY? More unsprung weight, goofy handling, needless complexity. Put me down as a "NO". Now, something like the CAN-AM "reverse trikes", I'd like to try one.

Supposedly the why is that it stands up by itself.  according to a YT video I saw a while back at low speeds it locks out the the feature that allows the front wheels to independently tilt so it can hold itself up.

So you get the low speed stability of a trike for weak and or injured folks, without the detriment to the medium and high speed handling.  That's the theory in any case, how well the software works is an open question.

Two front wheels is a much safer trike then two rear wheels, so I assume that's why it has the semi pivoting wheels up front.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 12:46:17 AM »
safer smafer ... I would just be to self - conscious to be seen on one ... I want two wheels and a minimum of 6 for road - but want a 250 dualsport as well for the dirt/roads we got here in NV
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 02:42:20 AM »
If ya go 3 wheels, go with something like the Can-Am Spyder or get a good sidecar BUT know they are VERY different to ride and CAN and WILL bite ya in the ass!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2023, 09:17:44 AM »
Before I found the Piaggio BV 350, I was looking at a couple of Piaggio MP3 400 scooters, like the one above. They don't seem to hold their value well and I dropped them from consideration after I learned I would have to get a three wheel endorsement.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2023, 10:01:23 AM »
I always understood the purpose is for parking not "stability". Although having two dinky fron wheels is probably slightly more traction and confidence than 1 dinky front wheel so it might be a little better driving too.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine