Author Topic: Background check does not work for hospital administrator  (Read 267 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Background check does not work for hospital administrator
« on: April 24, 2023, 02:29:41 PM »
https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/104122?xid=nl_medpageexclusive_2023-04-24&eun=g149952d0r&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MPTExclusives_042423&utm_term=NL_Gen_Int_Medpage_Exclusives_Active

I was interested to read about the deficiencies in the background check.  We use a company called HireRight, and for executive positions like mine, they verified employment for the past ten years, did degree verifications, ran a credit check and did a state and Federal criminal check, although I cannot recall how many years back that went. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Background check does not work for hospital administrator
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 04:54:39 PM »
Ok but was he good at the job?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 05:22:57 PM »
Not surprising, when Trump decided to clean up the VA quite a few people (Docs, Nurses, Administrators) got the boot because a flag came up on their background. I lost a really good Nurse because he voluntarily turned in his license in CA before any discipline. He had to hire a lawyer and get the CA board of Nursing to bless him and pull the remarks on his license before the VA would hire him back.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 05:32:50 PM »
Ok but was he good at the job?

Well, he was no Frank Abagnale...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 06:39:15 PM »
Not just in the medical field.

Company I worked for some years ago got taken when someone somehow slipped through the background check process, which included fingerprints.

Still not sure of the entire story, but apparently she had convictions for fraud and ended up trying to run another one at the credit union. Fortunately she didn't get far before she was caught, but it was by fluke that a supervisor just happened to be listening in on her phone service call, and that set off a larger investigation that got her.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 07:11:18 PM »
It has been a while, but a couple decades ago my employer had an environmental guy that let a couple plants environment permits lapse among other things.  He was using a fake name.  I don't think HR was real thorough about the background check before that.  Heard of at least a couple other people who didn't have the degrees they claimed on their resumes.  I haven't heard anything similar in a while, but I am probably out of the gossip loop.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2023, 07:37:36 PM »
"Heard of at least a couple other people who didn't have the degrees they claimed on their resumes."

Worked with a guy at SAIC who disappeared one day out of the blue. He was very good at his job, but it turned out that his degree status wasn't entirely kosher on his resume so he was removed. It supposedly was a good faith error, but that didn't matter.

When I heard that I immediately updated my resume to remove my minor area of concentration at college. I qualified for all of the minor requirements, but since it wasn't an awarded degree I removed it just in case.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.