Author Topic: %&$!@#! Gopher Season Again  (Read 817 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
%&$!@#! Gopher Season Again
« on: April 26, 2023, 11:41:25 AM »
I guess it's *expletive deleted*ing bastard gopher season again. I went in the backyard yesterday afternoon, and though I'd previously seen nothing, there were like nine mounds over around a 50' spread. I figured that had to be a few gophers, so I set three traps, and yesterday evening caught one gopher. Today the other traps haven't sprung and there are no new mounds, so I have to assume this one little bastard covered that whole area in a single like half day. Holy hell.

I need to keep on top of them this year, because last year I got a little lazy, and can now see where the ground has sunk in those areas from where I wasn't on top of them. You can't let these bastards go for even a day.

Also Steve will be unhappy because my gopher lady started trapping in my upper pasture, so he can't go up there and help me irrigate anymore for the season. She always leaves the gophers piled up for the scavengers, and everytime my back is turned, he'll find those piles and start munching down, then start throwing up.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: %&$!@#! Gopher Season Again
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 07:46:53 AM »
Part of pest manager is determining why a pest keeps returning and removing that source. What do you have in your pasture that the gophers are eating?

Or encourage natural predators of the gophers to live/visit your spread.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 07:59:10 AM »
Part of pest manager is determining why a pest keeps returning and removing that source. What do you have in your pasture that the gophers are eating?

Or encourage natural predators of the gophers to live/visit your spread.

This one is in the backyard.

As far as the pasture, it's just the upper pasture with alfalfa and grass, and my gopher lady does like twenty other farms in the area. My lower pastures don't get them because the water table is high, and gopher season is irrigation season, so it's too wet at the depths they burrow for them. There are so many gophers around that Idaho has a bounty on them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 08:58:09 AM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 09:18:26 AM »
You know what you need to do......

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 09:42:06 AM »
You know what you need to do......

Believe me, it's coming to that.  =D

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 09:47:36 AM »
I've been having a problem with something burrowing, whether moles or groundhogs, or maybe gophers, I'm not sure. I can tell you anything you might want to know about nearly every saltwater species in the area, but land-based mammals, not so much. There are tunnels everywhere in my yard. This doesn't seem to trouble the chickens, not being heavy enough to sink into them. Remington, my GSD, often entertains himself by following the tunnels and randomly digging them up. I range from not noticing them until I twist my ankle sinking into one, to following them and smooshing them down to prevent further ankle-twisting. I'll confess to a bit of "Take That!" glee in my smooshing frenzies.
I did look up how to get rid of moles, but everything I've read seems either labor intensive given the size of the property or harmful to the fur and feather kids.
They're a pain in the arse around the house, but in the back 40 that's more "naturally landscaped" you can't really see them until you sink into one.
And apparently they breed like rabbits. It went from the occasional tunnel out by the gate a couple years ago, to an ever-expanding metropolis this spring. 
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 09:49:03 AM »
Has Carl Spackler taught us nothing?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 10:43:15 AM »
But if I kill all the golfers they will lock me up and throw away the key.

Groundhogs and armadillos are a problem here but I like my .222.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 10:45:14 AM »
We get Armadillo's digging in my yard, which are annoying holes, but less of a burrow.  I did get one going under the corner of the house a couple years ago, and he had to go quickly.

Normally what I do if they get to bad in the yard is spend a cople of nights letting the dogs out before I turn on the lights.  The surprise German Shepherds seem to make dillo's move on quickly.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2023, 10:56:12 AM »
Had gophers for a year or two at the old house. Never was able to trap them. Finally got rid of them by the "dig out the freshest mound and put Gopher Bait" in the tunnel" method.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2023, 11:14:33 AM »
And apparently they breed like rabbits. It went from the occasional tunnel out by the gate a couple years ago, to an ever-expanding metropolis this spring.

As much as I hate the extra work this time of year, I've found that as soon as I see a fresh mound, if I stop whatever else I'm doing and set a cinch trap (best traps I've found for these gophers), it has ended up saving me work down the road. If I let them go for even a day, these pocket gophers just do ridiculous damage, and as fast as they tunnel, I don't want them getting anywhere near the house foundation. Out in the fields, I'm a little more lazy on keeping on top of them and make the excuse that they're just aerating the soil.  :laugh:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2023, 11:17:42 AM »
Had gophers for a year or two at the old house. Never was able to trap them. Finally got rid of them by the "dig out the freshest mound and put Gopher Bait" in the tunnel" method.

Brad

I'm super paranoid about bait. For a while I was stuffing the dead gophers back in their hole, as I've read, and maybe it's a wives tale, that it keeps other gophers away from taking over that tunnel system. However I've seen Steve dig the stupid things up, and my understanding is that the poison is viable for a really long time.

Plus Barney is still on the job and I don't want him to catch a gopher that came out to die.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2023, 11:49:48 AM »
Fun with propane.  There are simpler ways of doing this, but for your perusal...

https://youtu.be/7zPnTtF0Wk8 (3:39)

He could take a lesson from how model rocketeers set off their motors.

Many variants on this theme:

Search term: <propane for gophers>

« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 12:42:52 PM by 230RN »

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2023, 08:19:39 PM »
Pour a gallon or so of gas in the main Burrow or one that ties into it.
Cover hole and give it a few minutes for the fumes to spread.
Toss in match.
QUICKLY stick leaf blower in hole and fire that puppy up.
Proffit!

[popcorn]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 08:38:13 PM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2023, 08:24:11 PM »
Pour a gallon or so of gas in the main burro or one that ties into it.
Cover hole and give it a few minutes for the fumes to spread.
Toss in match.
QUICKLY stick leaf blower in hole and fire that puppy up.
Proffit!

[popcorn]

What happens to the rest of the herd, will they scatter into the desert before they regroup and come back. Maybe they will get adopted by grizzled old prospectors, the gold is going to come down the hills with the snow melt. ;)

bob

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2023, 08:35:27 PM »
I KNEW I spelled it wrong but the wife convinced me it was right. I BLAME HER! :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2023, 09:07:09 PM »
I KNEW I spelled it wrong but the wife convinced me it was right. I BLAME HER! :old:

I do that too, especially when I know she won't find out I blame her!!!   :rofl:    :old:

bob

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2023, 10:26:27 PM »
I’ve had reasonably good results just running a hose off the main hydrant to a tunnel and flooding the crap out of everything. Granted, my hydrant is on the high ground and everything else is downslope.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2023, 03:33:32 AM »
I do that too, especially when I know she won't find out I blame her!!!   :rofl:    :old:

bob

The thing is, my wife, PinkPigParts (Terri), is a member here!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2023, 03:34:27 AM »
I’ve had reasonably good results just running a hose off the main hydrant to a tunnel and flooding the crap out of everything. Granted, my hydrant is on the high ground and everything else is downslope.

My way is MUCH more entertaining though.
MOLON LABE!

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2023, 08:14:20 AM »
I'm super paranoid about bait.

Same. Remington was abandoned as a pup and became quite an adept scavenger. And chickens will eat anything. There's also a magnificent great horned owl and two red-tailed hawks that hunt on the property, and I'd hate for any of them to either eat tainted critter or eat the bait. I did see the owl with what looked like a mole in her talons last year, but so far there's only one of her and many of them.

I'm guessing it's moles here, since there are no obvious gopher holes. Any suggestions that DON'T involve setting the whole place on fire?
I read one article that suggested digging a two-foot trench around the area, lining it with chicken wire, and filling it with gravel (obviously written by a town-dweller with a postage stamp yard) to keep future moles from moving in, then poisoning those that remained.   
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2023, 06:32:49 PM »
Fun with propane.  There are simpler ways of doing this, but for your perusal...

https://youtu.be/7zPnTtF0Wk8 (3:39)

Not gophers but moles in my yard.
I've done something similar.  I have an old regulator from a gas grill with an 18" piece of PVC pipe on the end of the hose and, after a decent rainfall, I shove the pipe into the tunnel 1/4 to 1/2 way in and turn on the propane.  After about 5 minutes, I pull the pipe, stick a piece of rolled up newspaper with some lighter fluid or kerosene on it into the hole, light it and step away.
I don't usually get an explosion, just a WHOOSH as the flame moves through the tunnels.  The rain helps seal the tunnels and keeps the gas in the tunnels.  Dry earth lets the gas leak out.
  >:D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2023, 02:21:40 PM »
Gophers, prairie dogs. groundhogs, moles, holes. All the same techniques.

When I had my farm, I tried setting up a rich mixture on my VW, plugging up one of the exhaust pipes, adapting a hose to the other, shoving it into the prairie dog holes as far as I could, and running the engine for a while. Then I pulled the hose and covered the hole. Although no evidence of dead ones appeared, no more holes showed up for quite a while, This actually seemed to work in that respect.  They were sneaking in from the neighbor's property and rhe holes endangered the horses.

I used to do a lot of prairie dog "thinning" for the farmers hereabouts with a .223 Remington out of my beloved ancient antique Savage ( 1-14 twist, 53 grain bullets, 3031 for about 3k f/s), but that's all you can do with a rifle  -you can't actually eradicate them that way unless you do it every day and have unlimited handloads.

I used to call this operation "Feeding the raptors."

Trouble is, with modern cars, you can't diddle with the fuel mixture unless you hack the computer, I guess.  And you can't hardly find a .223 rifle with a 14inch twist any more, either.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 02:43:37 PM by 230RN »

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2023, 10:59:26 PM »
Had a gopher move in when we were living in AZ.  I tried using one of the gopher bombs, following the directions; blocking all holes, setting if off, covering the hole, etc.  Next morning I went out to find the bastard had reopened the hole and shoved the remainder of the bomb out of the hole.  One of those spring loaded, 3 spike traps took care of him.

I have heard of, never used, pumping oxy/acetylene down the hole & tossing a match at it.