Author Topic: Vehicle shopping  (Read 1468 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Vehicle shopping
« on: April 28, 2023, 09:51:44 AM »
Wow has new car shopping ever changed!
Our primary transportation is a 2014 Ford Fusion. It was our last new car purchase. It been great, wife loves it, but it’s got about 114k miles on it and we plan on retiring next year. Decided we should maybe go into retirement with a vehicle we can travel in comfortably and economically under a warranty for some years.
We thought we would like to move back into a crossover/SUV but have come to like the 30mpg (34 highway) and my wife like the size of her fusion for parking etc.
I think we considered almost everything out there and kept coming back to the KIA sportage AWD hybrid. Unfortunately one of the most sought after vehicles out there. Build to order only at this time. There are a handful of used ones out there priced higher than the MSRP for new. We have one ordered with no markup over MSRP but we won’t see it until some time after the first of the year and it will be a 2024 even though our order is currently for a 2023.
We were able to sit in one. No opportunity to actually drive one. Pretty amazing technology available and a 10 year/100kmile warranty, 38 mpg. We are getting the luxury package.
Already have 2 people that want to buy our Fusion.
I bought my first new car in 1975. A Chevy Camaro LT loaded for $5105 out the door.

What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Vehicle shopping
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 10:23:47 AM »
I'm seeing the same thing with 4Runners - either "on order" or "in build phase" or some other thing other than on the lot, and the local dealer never has more than 4-5 available (again, not on the lot).

My 4Runner only has 75k on it now, so I could easily drive it for another 75-100k. The only reason I'm looking is that either next year or the year after, they are killing off the 5th gen 4Runners and coming out with gen6. Everyone is excited about that, because it will be a new, smaller turbocharged engine, 1428 speed transmission, and all the latest toyo electronics in the cab.

However, the 5th gen engine and tranny combo is probably the most bulletproof that Toyota has ever produced. They just go and there are just very few problems over like a 12 year history. People say the engine is anemic compared to current stuff, and sure, my F150 Ecoboost leaves the 4Runner at the starting line, but I've found the engine has more than enough power for me. So the idea was to trade mine in for the last of the 5th gens and kinda "reset the clock", giving me a good 15 or more years with a bulletproof platform that I like.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 10:49:29 AM »
We considered the RAV4, the Honda, Mazda, Subaru etc. tried to like something Ford with our local dealer but the edge didn’t offer a hybrid and the escape is too small and both just felt cheap, more hard plastic and just nothing to get excited about.
The KIA had some features that set it apart esp in the AWD hybrid like a locking center diff and traditional transmission. the other hybrids use various power distribution systems or split electric only rear.
It will be interesting to see what the insurance rates are like with all the safety tech, blind spot cameras, collision avoidance stuff and almost self driving. The auto parking and 360 surround birdseye view is pretty cool.
By the time we get it we will have forgotten what we ordered.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 05:59:39 PM »
KC - I pity the decision you have to make but I can sympathize too.
I just found out that State Farm is apparently planning on totaling my 2008 Ford Ranger.  A young man (25) was driving in a yellow-striped turn lane (illegal) as I was turning left.  He ended up bending my frame a little and, despite the body shop saying it is repairable, they want to total it.  The truck may be 15 years old BUT it has less than 9,400 miles on it!  The only things that have been changed on this truck are fluids, filters, and wipers!  The tires are original too.  Body man said there was slight evidence of dry rot in the sidewall of one tire but the treads were still good.
I'm beginning to dislike State Farm - - a LOT !!
  :mad:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 07:48:14 PM »
I just found out that State Farm is apparently planning on totaling my 2008 Ford Ranger.  A young man (25) was driving in a yellow-striped turn lane (illegal) as I was turning left.  He ended up bending my frame a little and, despite the body shop saying it is repairable, they want to total it.  The truck may be 15 years old BUT it has less than 9,400 miles on it!  The only things that have been changed on this truck are fluids, filters, and wipers!  The tires are original too.  Body man said there was slight evidence of dry rot in the sidewall of one tire but the treads were still good.
Don’t know if they still do it but insurance companies used to offer to settle and let you keep a vehicle with a reissued salvage title so they are off the hook for any future claims. Good luck

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 07:57:11 PM »
I'm trying to sell a minivan and can't get any buyers on craigslist. What's the best way to advertise a used car?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 08:09:57 PM »
I'm trying to sell a minivan and can't get any buyers on craigslist. What's the best way to advertise a used car?
Try Facebook marketplace. This is a good time to sell a vehicle like that (not trying to stereotype) because some people are getting tax refunds and shopping.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 08:53:24 PM »
Well, you know my answer. I love my Subarus.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2023, 09:11:46 PM »
I'm trying to sell a minivan and can't get any buyers on craigslist.

Are you selling it to get a pickup?

=D =D =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2023, 10:54:49 PM »
Have you tried Ebay Motors?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2023, 01:03:47 AM »
I'm seeing the same thing with 4Runners - either "on order" or "in build phase" or some other thing other than on the lot, and the local dealer never has more than 4-5 available (again, not on the lot).

My 4Runner only has 75k on it now, so I could easily drive it for another 75-100k. The only reason I'm looking is that either next year or the year after, they are killing off the 5th gen 4Runners and coming out with gen6. Everyone is excited about that, because it will be a new, smaller turbocharged engine, 1428 speed transmission, and all the latest toyo electronics in the cab.

However, the 5th gen engine and tranny combo is probably the most bulletproof that Toyota has ever produced. They just go and there are just very few problems over like a 12 year history. People say the engine is anemic compared to current stuff, and sure, my F150 Ecoboost leaves the 4Runner at the starting line, but I've found the engine has more than enough power for me. So the idea was to trade mine in for the last of the 5th gens and kinda "reset the clock", giving me a good 15 or more years with a bulletproof platform that I like.
My Tacoma is a 2018 and paid for.  I have toyed with the idea of trading up to a new one, but I hate to take on that $15K or so the difference would cost.  The truck is doing well so far so I would rather hang on to it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2023, 04:22:43 AM »
Well, you know my answer. I love my Subarus.
My sister has one and loves it also. but the only hybrid they offer is the Crosstrek which is too small for us. We considered some gas only vehicles (like the ford Edge) but didn't find the right combination of what we wanted.
Hybrids get interesting because every mfg has their own sometimes very different power and delivery system. The Kia has a 1.6l turbo and runs on gas, electric, or both depending on conditions and is reputed to offer a very sporty driving experience.

I'm not a fan of buying a car without first driving it (or one like it). I guess we were lucky to just be able to sit in one.
We are saving hard so we won't have a car payment by the time it gets here.
The car people I've talked to say that the old days of being able to walk out on the lot and look at new vehicles available for sale with choices of options and colors are gone.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2023, 08:45:51 AM »
"but the only hybrid they offer is the Crosstrek"

Ah... I thought the Ascent was now hybrid optional.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2023, 08:56:47 AM »
My Tacoma is a 2018 and paid for. 

My 4Runner is a 2014. If it was a 2018, I too, would probably not be thinking about trading. Between it hitting the ten year mark and the end of the 5th gens, it has me thinking though. If they wouldn't be ending the 5th gens, I wouldn't be considering trading right now and would for sure be keeping it at least another five years.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2023, 04:39:59 PM »
My parents were always State Farm, so I was too . . . until about 10 years ago when I switched to MetLife for home and auto, and saved a lot for coverage that was actually a hair better than State Farm's. Since then I've had one claim (for a hail-damaged roof) and that went smoothly. Now MetLife sold their home & auto business to Farmer's . . . so far it seems to be about the same.

So . . . once you get your current issue sorted out, I suggest you check around with other major insurers, maybe you'll get a better deal.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2023, 09:45:33 PM »
Don’t know if they still do it but insurance companies used to offer to settle and let you keep a vehicle with a reissued salvage title so they are off the hook for any future claims. Good luck.

Thanks.
From what I've been told, a salvage title isn't required in IL-ANNOY.  SF is cutting me a check and snail-mailing it to me.
This is the second truck of mine that has been hit and suffered a bent frame.  I had a 1982 Toyota SR5 longbed 4WD that a "female PoC" ran a red light and hit me almost head on.  She nosed under my truck, pushing the driver's corner of her car back and down and bending my frame.  The front axle was a solid one, not "independent" and, when they straightened the frame, the alignment was still OK.  It didn't even damage the AC or radiator.  What pissed me off was that the truck was only a few months old !
  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2023, 09:59:12 PM »
My parents were always State Farm, so I was too . . . until about 10 years ago when I switched to MetLife for home and auto, and saved a lot for coverage that was actually a hair better than State Farm's. Since then I've had one claim (for a hail-damaged roof) and that went smoothly. Now MetLife sold their home & auto business to Farmer's . . . so far it seems to be about the same.

So . . . once you get your current issue sorted out, I suggest you check around with other major insurers, maybe you'll get a better deal.

My Dad used to work for SF and I've been with them for about 40 years now.
Two insurance companies whose commercials I can't stand are Progressive and Liberty Mutual.  When I was in college and just insuring my motorcycle, I had Progressive.  That memory does NOT help my memories of them.
Another company I dislike for a different reason is Farmer's Insurance Group.  I do like their initials as I don't give a "FIG" for Farmer's.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2024, 06:48:26 PM »
Well after almost 1 year of waiting…
We got notice that it’s inbound.
I have 2 people in line to buy our ford fusion. It’s been great but now hs 128k mikes on it. Still in great shape with no issues and less than 10k on the tires.
Also found out that the new one will come with 10 year/200k miles power train warranty. Pretty sweet for going into retirement and planning some travel.
The salesman asked me if I was excited. I told him I bought my first new car in 1975. I don’t get excited anymore. He seemed disappointed.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2024, 06:57:44 AM »
Jesus that's a long time to wait for a new car!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2024, 08:37:59 AM »
I agree but it works out ok. We didn’t desperately need a vehicle, we got a year newer model year, the dealership was sold and the new owner upped the warranty at no extra charge. The 2024 will be about $1100 more than the 2023 agreed price.
It’s a 5y/60k full warranty on everything and a 10y/200k power train warranty with no requirements on dealer service etc. I’ll probably use this dealer for service as long as we live here. We’ll see.
If we decided we didn’t like the vehicle, we could probably sell it at a profit. Not as much as a year ago because supply is increasing.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2024, 08:59:09 AM »
I feel like since the "supply chain issues" of 2020-2021, if you order a new car from the factory as opposed to buying off the lot, 9 months to a year is pretty standard. 

I know when I looked at buying a Bronco in '22 they were telling me 18-ish months from order to delivery.

Congrats on the new Kia Kingscreek.  They do pack a lot of safety and comfort tech into those things.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2024, 09:27:41 AM »

Yeah, this, but good you got the vehicle you wanted.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2024, 09:29:46 AM »
I feel like since the "supply chain issues" of 2020-2021, if you order a new car from the factory as opposed to buying off the lot, 9 months to a year is pretty standard. 

I know when I looked at buying a Bronco in '22 they were telling me 18-ish months from order to delivery.

Congrats on the new Kia Kingscreek.  They do pack a lot of safety and comfort tech into those things.

Friends of mine ordered a Bronco when Ford started taking orders.

From the time actual production of Broncos started to the time of delivery it was about two months shy of 3 years.

Their car’s production slot was bumped back something like four times.

One of their concerns was taking delivery before the three year mark was up due to their pre-order pricing was locked in until that 36 month mark. Personally I thought Ford was trying to wait them out in hopes they would cancel the slot.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2024, 09:34:58 AM »
Congrats, Kingcreek! Enjoy that new car smell!  =)

Going on the tangent: I am curious. When you custom order a vehicle and it's going to take a year or more to get it, at what point does it switch to the new model year? I'm making the assumption that if you order a 2024 in AUG24, the assembly lines will be setup for the 2025 model year (and any new model year built-ins) by the time your vehicle comes up for build. It seems like there's a possibility that an option you ordered (like paint color, or a moonroof) might not be available in the next model year.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2024, 09:42:07 AM »
I know a guy that ordered a new telluride. When it was inbound the dealer called and told him they could sell it for $5-6k over invoice if he wanted to give it up. He did and ordered another one just like it. They sent him a check for $4k. He sold the second one same way and got $2k. I think he is still waiting on #3 but he is $6k to the better.
Lower trim models get built faster. They won’t build one until they have every component.
For awhile they couldn’t get the heated windshields. Then it was the premium Harmon karden sound system. And they said the heated and cooled contrast leather seats were an automatic 3 month delay on top of everything else.
I’m having second thoughts about getting the heated windshield. I hope it doesn’t push insurance rates a lot higher. It’s $3k to replace it if a rock hits it.