Author Topic: How much of the Internet is AI generated jabberwocky?  (Read 148 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
How much of the Internet is AI generated jabberwocky?
« on: April 17, 2024, 12:03:14 PM »
(Copy pasted from my BookFace.)

How much of what we see now in the internet is AI generated jabberwocky?

Was looking around at what it takes to get the Thunderbird mail client to talk to Protonmail*.  (I'm old school, and think email should ideally be done through a local program instead of a remotely hosted web interface.) 

I find this, purporting to be a comparison between the two.  It's a category error.  These two things you wouldn't compare.  It gives the appearance, sort of, of being helpful, but really isn't.  The reviews look sketchy.  "David S. Verified user in Computer Hardware"  -- really?   

https://www.g2.com/compare/protonmail-vs-thunderbird

I suspect it all AI generated.

How much of what we see is?  This is far from the only thing I've seen like this.

(*Turns out, they have a "IMAP bridge" program to make this work.  Which, if it works, I can live with.  So, I'll probably end up going with the pay version of Protonmail.  Just, looking forward past my  retirement date.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: How much of the Internet is AI generated jabberwocky?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 12:12:24 PM »
More and more.

Up until now, I have been pretty good at spotting the AI stuff, just because once it gets to be more than a sentence, it starts to become "off". However that is getting more and more difficult to spot.

One example is that Google's Gemini actually sounds like a real live commie pinko google wonk when I call it out on bias. Hard for me to tell the difference between what it is arguing and what a smelly, Birkenstock wearing hippie would argue.

Another example is I note on Amazon reviews, at the top of the reviews page, there is now a preface blurb giving an executive summary of what all the reviews are saying. It states that it is AI generated, but it's pretty difficult for me to tell, and most of the time I wouldn't be able to, were it not for the AI disclaimer.

Scary times.

EDIT: Also, I posted a while back about a SHTF series I was reading, where the last book of the series went from a four star average to a two star, with the major complaint being that it was a completely different writing style from the previous books, and would go into agonizing detail about stuff like the color of a wall. Most reviewers were betting the author called the last book in via AI. I have also recently seen several fiction series on Amazon where the authors are pumping out like twenty books a year. That just seems kind of high for a human author to do without at least AI assistance (like the AI pumps out the book in five minutes, and the author spends a week making minor changes to make it sound not so AI).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 12:15:14 PM »
All of it.

Including this post.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 12:43:55 PM »
A lot of the sponsored stuff on FB will have a hundred comments, all glowing, all one-liners.

I suspect that a lot of the guys who are cranking out 20 books a year are doing it as a full time, job... They also tend to be writing to a mold/pattern... Crank out an outline, you already have the characters mostly scripted, then fill in the outline 5,000 words at a whack...

Mickey Spillane would write when he was running low on money. I think he cranked out one of is pulp novels in about two weeks. Before word processing.
Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 02:40:16 PM »
All of it.

Including this post.

I knew it!  Cordex is AI everyone!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2024, 02:45:12 PM »
The overlap between the smarter AI and the dumber humans is getting larger every day.

It's similar to the problem with bear proof garbage cans.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 02:45:47 PM »
I knew it!  Cordex is AI everyone!
Beep boop.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 05:35:43 PM »
I’ve noticed many news articles now read the first half like a stupid online recipe where the author (or AI author) jerks off for a few hours pages about idiotic bullshit for word count
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!